Kellers Stats

admo

2005 total

CMP ATT YDS % YDS/A TD INT RAT

Carpenter 156 228 2273 68.4 9.97 17 2 175.0

Keller 155 264 2165 58.7 8.20 20 9 145.8

Sounds like he wasn't even the best qb on his former team. Let's hope he picks up the offense faster than Dailey or Taylor did or it could be a long year.

Time will tell. Carpenter's stats dropped off big time for the 2006 season

YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT

2005 156 228 2273 68.4 9.97 69 17 2 21 175.01

2006 184 332 2523 55.4 7.60 62 23 14 37 133.68

I like Taylor as much as the next guy, but he was a pretty easy Quarterback to figure out. He simply checked down from his one guy to his two guy and so on until he found someone open. Occasionally he could make plays happen but not all the time. What I'd like to see from Keller is a Quarterback who can fake teams out with his reads, looking down to one reciever and then quickly going to another. He's got (reportedly) a very quick release, which should make this easier. I think this more than anything would improve our passing game. A rocket arm is good but we shouldn't need to go deep that often. We should be more worried about gaining somewhere between 5 to 15 yards with most passing plays, enough to keep the defense honest and worried while still killing lots of clock on our way to the endzone (clock control is a big part of the WCO). So, if we have a QB who can fake out DB's who are trying to read his eyes, we can increase our productivity quite a bit. Of course, wide reciever's who could get seperation against some of the faster defeneses and who don't drop easy passes (*cough*nunn*cough*) would be key, and hopefully will see some moves in that direction with some of the incoming players and improvment in the current roster.

2005 total

Sounds like he wasn't even the best qb on his former team. Let's hope he picks up the offense faster than Dailey or Taylor did or it could be a long year.

BIG difference in strength of schedule for 1st half of ASU schedule.

The 1st half of the season when Keller played..he went up against:

LOUISIANA STATE LOST 31-35

NORTHWESTERN WON 52-21

at Oregon State WON 42-24 (Where I believe Sam was 1st injured)

SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA LOST 28-38

OREGON LOST 17-31

Rudy Carpenter started against:

at Stanford LOST 35-45

WASHINGTON WON 44-20

at Washington State WON 27-24

at UCLA LOST 35-45

ARIZONA (Fri.) WON 23-20

If they only had a Defense <_<

Man we are putting a lot of pressure on this guy..........then again I think he likes it. Many of ZT's hurry's and sacks were due to coverage and not the line as much as we may think. You could have Joe Montana in the backfield but if you've only got one real go to guy and he's always in double coverage and the others can't get open bad things are going to happen.

Mo Purify on the other hand could be Jerry Rice but if the other recievers have hands of bricks, can't get open etc. then he'll be in double coverage all day long every Saturday.

Often when Zack had to put some zip on a ball to get it where it needed to be it turned into a tip drill with hands of bricks. Now your going to throw a guy in there that reportedly has a much stronger arm. Some things need to change in the recieving corp before Keller or anybody else can have a great year at QB for us IMO

2005 total

Looking at these stats, I wonder why he was so upset at not starting that he transferred? For every 2 touchdown passes he threw, he threw an interception. Carpenter threw a pic for every 8.5 touchdowns thrown. Carpenter completed 10 percent more of his passes than Keller did. In the Big 12 this year, Keller with those stats would have been 8th for completion percentage and 5th for QB rating. Are we not all maybe expecing a little too much next year?

2005 total

Looking at these stats, I wonder why he was so upset at not starting that he transferred? For every 2 touchdown passes he threw, he threw an interception. Carpenter threw a pic for every 8.5 touchdowns thrown. Carpenter completed 10 percent more of his passes than Keller did. In the Big 12 this year, Keller with those stats would have been 8th for completion percentage and 5th for QB rating. Are we not all maybe expecing a little too much next year?

Exaclty my man. (the bold part)

Lets hope the coach lets him stretch the field more than he did with Taylor. There were times I felt Zac played with handcuffs on. Ppl kept saying he couldn't make those throws but I clearly remember him making those throws. KU and USC games comes to mind.

I also have a friend whom I correspond on another msg board who lives in Mesa Az and he said the only bad rap he had on Keller was he sometimes will force the ball into coverage. They all do that thou, even the best of them. Also said he had problems with a few of the older guys on the team and some of the staff thus the mutiny.