Linebackers

I like the fact that we are going to have 5-6 capable guys to play the linebacker position. I have been told that Steve O is not a great player in practice, but with the talent that he has he needs to be on the field more than he was this last season. Corey is one of my favorite players to watch play. You are always going to get his best effort, and sometimes that is better that talent and skill. Dillard is still up in the air, he does have a ton of potential. Branderberg good player. Bo good player.

Now on the other hand

Shanle Sucks

I like the fact that we are going to have 5-6 capable guys to play the linebacker position. I have been told that Steve O is not a great player in practice, but with the talent that he has he needs to be on the field more than he was this last season. Corey is one of my favorite players to watch play. You are always going to get his best effort, and sometimes that is better that talent and skill. Dillard is still up in the air, he does have a ton of potential. Branderberg good player. Bo good player.

Now on the other hand

Shanle Sucks

Wouldn't it be nice if we had a stable like 95-96??? Tomich, Toline, Foreman, Farley, (Jamel) Williams.....aaahhhh, reliving memories is nice.

above someone stated "look at Zac Taylor, he had heart, not the most talented but smart, blah blah blah" It speaks volumes u are correct. Our second half deficiencies were directly related. smart, heart, etc didnt get it done he couldnt get it done. he was special for our program but not nearly what was needed for the next level

Ruud mirrors this heart smarts being in the right place doesnt get it done. for every play made because of technique 4-5 were missed because of lack of talent.

our D needs playmakers not nice guys who are legacy's (someone elses quote) Ruud lacks a lot and i dont believe a Big 12 title or NC is obtainable if he is in the game.

above someone stated "look at Zac Taylor, he had heart, not the most talented but smart, blah blah blah" It speaks volumes u are correct. Our second half deficiencies were directly related. smart, heart, etc didnt get it done he couldnt get it done. he was special for our program but not nearly what was needed for the next level

Ruud mirrors this heart smarts being in the right place doesnt get it done. for every play made because of technique 4-5 were missed because of lack of talent.

our D needs playmakers not nice guys who are legacy's (someone elses quote) Ruud lacks a lot and i dont believe a Big 12 title or NC is obtainable if he is in the game.

Well the difference at the QB position was we really didn't have anyone to take that spot over for Zac! We have other LB's and all I care about is who is the best guy for the position that's all. I understand if a guys a senior that the coach wants to play him, but unfortunately football doesn't work like a union operation. The senior guy doesn't get the top spot. He has to earn that spot by determation,talent, and hard work. I trust the coaches to make the right decision at every position. None of us know more than the coaches........

I'm surprised people are on Ruud's case. He was easily the best LB on the team the past season. McKeon and Brandenburg are good LB's. Octavian and Dillard have great potential, but neither has shown much in games and both have been injured. Covey is in the shadows long with a few others who could be moved to LB from DB, although those would be very surprising. The LB's next year IMO:

SLB: Brandenburg, Covey/Ruud

MLB: McKeon, Dillard

WLB: Ruud, Octavian

The problem with Ruud was that he only seemed to make one BIG play in a game (except for Mizzou). I would rather see consistent good play than 1 big play a game. Put the best tacklers (and Ruud is NOT) on the field (no more arm tackling trying to strip the ball crap).

I'll agree that Rudd is not the most gifted linebacker, physically, but I think we're all overlooking some things.

First, coaches look for players that get to the right spot consistently. They may not be the best tackler, but even if they are merely competent, that's better than a guy that is consistently out of position because he doesn't know where to be on the play. The former may give up some yards, but the latter gives up more yards and big plays - not only does he leave his responsibility open, but it has a domino effect; someone has to cover for him, which leaves that responsibility uncovered, and on and on...

Second, given that coaches' livelihood depends on the performance of the players, it's hard to imagine a coach not putting what he considers the best performers on the field. That doesn't mean the best athletes - it means the guys that run the schemes. Nirvana (the feeling, not the band) is when you can get a guy that does both. Absent that, you have to go with the one that doesn't leave a gapping hole in the scheme.

Rudd tended to be in the right position in each scheme. He isn't a "difference maker" but he's not bad. Are there better? Sure...but are there better on the team? I can't say, but I also don't believe that a coach is going to risk a loss by not putting what he considers his best players out there.

How many times have we seen a guy with all the potential in the world - high school, college, pros - waste it by not learning technique or the scheme? Happens all the time, and they drive coaches crazy. Because the coaches can't count on them, they don't play them.

I suspect that's the case with a lot of the younger guys - they have All-World physcial ability, but they can't put it to use because they are out of position or not playing their technique.

I do think that Rudd has too much experience and game knowledge for him not to play. Now I have been on the bandwagon also so saying that Rudd cant hit and things like that. However, remember when Octo was healthy in fall camp and he was still neck and neck with him. I agree that there must be something the coaches are seeing that we arent. I just cant see him sitting the bench and certainly not moving to SLB. I think the rotation will be:

WLB: Octavain, Rudd

MLB: Mceon, Brandenburgh

SLB: Dillard, Brandenburgh

AR

i agree with you here, i really do not think that any D1 coach would put a player out on the field, when he is not the best player at his position.

except for punishment to the better player for violating team rules, injuries, blah blah blah.

Bo has done a great job and has made big plays.

I don't know if we have the d-lineman to successfully run a 3-4 defense. Usually 3-4 lineman are big run stuffing animals that demand constant double teams to free up the linebackers. I just don't see Turner or Potter as that type of player. Suh maybe as a 3-4 end but none of the other lineman really fit that mold. That is why the 3-4 defense is hardly used in college.

Got this off of the red sea scrolls.

A student talking to Dillard was told by Dillard that it is looking like next year will be as follows

Will - Octo

Mike - Dillard

Sam - McKeon

Dont shoot the messenger just relaying

It would be great though get ruud out get more speed and better tackling our LB would be 100% improved

I agree with what the student said even though hear say is never reliable info. The performance is what gets it done and determines the players that see the most time as B.Jax showed us this year after being 4th to 1st

Will- Steve Octo. if he stays healthy i think he can be a Demario Williams typa player

Mike- Dillard:disagree i see Ruud getting the nod here

Sam- McKeon no explanation he's a given

but the players and coaches have the final say on the performance anyways we've seen injuries not performing all that changes through out the season s who knows?

I think people see that Ruud gets more PT than he deserves because of his family ties to the historical Nebraska program. It's a fact, and I believe BC needs to get to a point where he looks past that. Now in BC's defense, with the injuries we've had the last couple years at the linebacker position, sometimes the decisions were made for him.