The Tell tale sign IMO

I know we have alot of people on here being contacted by the Dolphins for the head coaching job. Most, I know, turned down the Alabama job.

Working hard at practice, showing what you can do and playing with intensity every single play is what most coachs are looking for. Never letting up, being the best at every single practice. Coaches measure the dedication to practice, weight training, running and agility.

None of us know except for the few I mentioned above, really have a clue of who has the talent or the desire to be a starter. Talent not channeled and developed but rewarded for less than stellar effort gets around the team very quickly. Being a game day player and a screwoff the rest of the time will not fly with most top coaches in college football. We had that the past staff, we do not need to go back to it. I am not saying it is happening, just putting out food for thought

This staff has a lot of time in the coaching profession. I doubt any on here, except for those mentioned above really have a clue who is ready and who isn't. I will depend on them to make the choices.

If you want realistic input about the program, want to know how it works and who is really doing what. I suggest all listen to what Hoss has to say. I have heard he played a few downs for this program during the great years. I could be wrong on that, but that is what I have been told by people on other boards.

His comments are normally spot on and his knowledge of football seems unparalleled on this board or any other that I have visited.

NO I AM NOT TRYING TO GET INTO HIS PANTIES.

Just plain observation.

I know we have alot of people on here being contacted by the Dolphins for the head coaching job. Most, I know, turned down the Alabama job.

Working hard at practice, showing what you can do and playing with intensity every single play is what most coachs are looking for. Never letting up, being the best at every single practice. Coaches measure the dedication to practice, weight training, running and agility.

None of us know except for the few I mentioned above, really have a clue of who has the talent or the desire to be a starter. Talent not channeled and developed but rewarded for less than stellar effort gets around the team very quickly. Being a game day player and a screwoff the rest of the time will not fly with most top coaches in college football. We had that the past staff, we do not need to go back to it. I am not saying it is happening, just putting out food for thought

This staff has a lot of time in the coaching profession. I doubt any on here, except for those mentioned above really have a clue who is ready and who isn't. I will depend on them to make the choices.

If you want realistic input about the program, want to know how it works and who is really doing what. I suggest all listen to what Hoss has to say. I have heard he played a few downs for this program during the great years. I could be wrong on that, but that is what I have been told by people on other boards.

His comments are normally spot on and his knowledge of football seems unparalleled on this board or any other that I have visited.

NO I AM NOT TRYING TO GET INTO HIS PANTIES.

Just plain observation.

Great post skersfan I couldn't agree with you more. :worship

its simple logic.

Petersen and swift are nice players, but if we are recruiting like we are supposed to have been then Henry, Holt, Paul, Purify, and another athlete should be ahead of them. catching the ball and getting open are nice but not if it takes twice as long to get open. also you cannot stretch the field with them.

I know this is a little bit of a stretch, but if your only concern is the deep ball then a guy named Dwayne Jarrett would have never started a game. All he could do was catch and run routes and look at him.

its simple logic.

If the more experience player is playing well i would agree, but there is no way you can say with a straight face that Thenarse or Culbert could have done any worse than Shanle

Thenarse may have been getting beat in practice but has the ability to make one (1) play , Grixby got beat every play and didnt make a single play, there for it couldnt have been any worse only potentially better.

Shanle made some pretty bad plays at times, but how do you know that Culbert or Thenarse are any better? The thought that "well he couldn't be any worse" or "he plays well on special teams and he has a 4 star rating" is NOT LOGIC. The point was made a couple times above, you don't attend practice nor do I, so I would take the word of a coach that spends probably 100 hours a week breaking this stuff down and analyzing his team and how theycan get better, not a message board blowhard that seems to have it in for a couple players and doesn't really have much explanation for it.

Grixby did not get beat ever play. Ther have been several times where he has made a big play this season. The problem is that he gets picked on because he is small and he is inconsistent.

Ruud, if you honestly think Ruud is good there may be no help for you, hell against Mizzou we played Culbert at a hybrid spot and he played better than Ruud ever did. He is fundamentally sound fine but if you are in the right place all the time but cant get off of blocks and make plays what the hell is the point.

Yet, in that Mizzou game it was Ruud that had the INT, forced 2 fumbles and recovered one of them. Ruud was the Big 12 defensive player of the week. Culbert played well, but where they put him on the field, there wasn't much thinking that had to be done by him. His success was made possible by Carriker, Moore and Turner being able to get to the QB and Ruud, Bradley and McKeon covering the field, leaving the middle of the field open for Culbert to make plays that fell in his lap. He did a good job, but the scheme set him up to succeed, which is why he was out there in the first place.

Petersen and swift are nice players, but if we are recruiting like we are supposed to have been then Henry, Holt, Paul, Purify, and another athlete should be ahead of them. catching the ball and getting open are nice but not if it takes twice as long to get open. also you cannot stretch the field with them.

Henry needed to redshirt and add some beef to his frame. He will be a good wide receiver given time to develop. Holt had 2 drops when the ball came his way against Troy, not sure if he ever notched a catch this year. Hard to call him ready when he dropped the passes that came his way. Gotta make the most of your opportunities presented to you. That means not dropping passes in a seemingly meaningless blowout to Troy. If Swift is so bad, then how did he set the freshman receiving record last year? He is a very sure handed receiver that holds onto the ball after contact. Petersen is just a big kid with soft hands. I have heard that he is maybe better suited for TE, and maybe so. He is not a burner, but he is also sure handed and can make a guy miss after the catch.

You act as though i dislike the player personally, i DONT, they just shouldnt play.

I could care less if you like them or not as people, but you act like you know FOR SURE(OMG TEH TRUTH) that there is someone waiting in the wings that is undeniably better and the coaches just stick their head in the sand and ignore. That's what gets me.

If Terrell Farley's playing time was judged by whether he was fundamentally sound and in the right place HE WOULD HAVE NEVER PLAYED.

Maybe. Octavien is not very fundamentally sound, and he gets as much PT as he does(when he is not hurt) because he is a proven playmaker. That's pretty much parallel.

Do me a favor, watch tapes of the good Defenses out there and find me one LB that arm tackles only, find me one player that Ruud would play in front of from USC, Ohio st, Michigan, LSU, Auburn, Florida,Miami, if you can ill eat my hat YOU CANT! MEDIOCRITY ENSCONCHED AROUND NICE GUYS (LEGACIES) IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. RUUD IS A GOOD KID GET OVER IT, HE IS NOT TALENTED ENOUGH TO PLAY AND IF HE IS THEN WELL IT SAYS ALOT ABOUT OUR RECRUITING.

I can't deny that Ruud has missed some tackles this year, but once again this brings up my point. THERE IS NO WAY TO KNOW THAT THERE IS SOMEONE BETTER. SOMEBODY THAT WORKS HARD, EVERY DAY, KNOWS THE DEFENSE AND COMES READY TO PLAY. No, it doesn't say a lot about our recruiting, it just shows that there has to be a thorough understanding of the defense and technique to go along with raw ability and playmaking skills to see the field. Ruud has had 4 years in the system, a true frosh is not going to knock him off the field unless he can prove as reliable in the long haul.

I'll say one thing, if Ruud is terrible, then all 12 of the Big 12 coaches should sign over their checks to you since you are oh-so knowledgeable.

I dont think rudd is terrible, I think octavian is more athletic and if he can stay healthy then I think he would be a much better linebacker than rudd is. I have heard he is a terrible practice player which may be hurting him a lot. What I was getting at was mainly about wide receiver since there seems to be a log jam there. I think that Holt, Brooks, Paul, and Henry are more talented (faster, bigger, stronger, jump higher) than people like peterson, or swift. I think that if they prove themselves in practice and they show they know the offense just as good as the other person it shouldnt matter how long they have been here. I dont think if somone is obviously better but doesnt hustle as much the more athletic person should play. As long as he is performing on the field and isnt a distraction its all about winning. Would I rather have a person have both? Yes, but I would rather have someone who is more athletic who gets the job done than someone who screws up but hustles right back up to make a tackle 15 yards down the field.

***SNIP***

What I was getting at was mainly about wide receiver since there seems to be a log jam there. I think that Holt, Brooks, Paul, and Henry are more talented (faster, bigger, stronger, jump higher) than people like peterson, or swift. I think that if they prove themselves in practice and they show they know the offense just as good as the other person it shouldnt matter how long they have been here. I dont think if somone is obviously better but doesnt hustle as much the more athletic person should play. As long as he is performing on the field and isnt a distraction its all about winning. Would I rather have a person have both? Yes, but I would rather have someone who is more athletic who gets the job done than someone who screws up but hustles right back up to make a tackle 15 yards down the field.

The problem is - while they are physically better, are they going to be where they are supposed to be when they are supposed to be there? Are they willing and able to block downfield, or crackback on an end or linebacker? There's a lot more to it than physical ability - in the West Coast, a lot of the passes are timed or based on the receiver being in the right place at the right time; the quarterback is throwing to a spot rather than a person. If a guy doesn't know where to go, or doesn't get there when he should, it's an incompletion at best, and interception at worst.

Yes, the best guys should play - but "best" is more than just athleticisim...

****SNIP

*****SNIP

Swift can ball, man. He's proved it already. And this was just his second year. Game in and game out Taylor looked at Nunn & Purify before scrambling back to the line if he felt he couldnt get the ball to them. As for stretching the field, you gotta get 10 yards to move the chains. By the way, where's the arguement for Herian not getting passes all season, or the other TE's in the middle of the field? All I'm saying is Swift gets the job done. Several replays show him open and not even looked at. And I'm confident in Petersen when he comes in as well. Okay that's all.

***SNIP***

I think Octavian, Mceon, and Dillard at SLB will be the LB's. I think the secondary will be Green, Asante, Bowmann, Murillo, and Jones, Grixby and Thenarse also getting playing time. The post above me was just before mine, I totally agree with it by the way.

It's hard to say that Murillo and Asante will come in here and start

People all over have varying degrees of like and dislike for Callahan and staff. Everyone, it seems, is waiting to see some change or improvement so that they can make their best judgement.

Well........................

Here is mine.

I think a big sign of Callahan and staff's abilities will come this year by simply seeing who the starting lineup is.

If Callahan does what is necessary you should see returning starters Grixby, Jones, Ruud, as well as players with significant playing time, Swift, Petersen, Nunn all on the bench.

If Callahan does not make these changes that will say more to me than any play called or defesive adjustment made.

We have significantly more talented players at each spot that the aforementioned players occupy and if Championship Football is what Callahan wants then he has some tough decisions ahead.

Personally i dont think he has the stones. I think Ruud and the rest will somehow be on the field every down in which case i will lose all confidence in this staff. These decisions will tell us the direction that Callahan is trying to go. To win the Big games you have to play the best people.

Just a know-it-alls ( who knows nothing) opinion

Coach should start the players that make the best team. Are there obviously better players on the bench at each of these positions? wouldn't mind sitting Jones either, but best case scenario is that Bowman comes back and Grixby moves over and he sees less snaps. Thenarse himself has said he is not ready, and that he is getting beat repeatedly in practice. Who are the recievers that are gonna take all the snaps away from those recievers? What lb is gonna be able to replace everything that Ruud brings to the team? I'm all for putting better players on the field, but your being a little overboard wtih saying all these guys should sit or else it means the staff sucks.

And you're way off with Grixby. The guy has pretty good coverage and rarely is he beaten on a play. The real problem is that where as he should be covering teams #2 recievers, injuries and lack of depth forced him to be covering teams #1 guys week after week. Unfortunately, he is too small to be able to take those guys on. Him starting, in and of itself is not a bad thing.

David Horne, Curt Dukes, Frankie London, Joe Dailey....all these players were "obviously better" than the guys starting in front of them too.

Something else to consider is that playing time isn't always the best way to develop a player. Callahan admitted he deliberately held Purify out of the early season games, even though his mom was watching at USC. Why? So Purify wouldn't fail, lose confidence, and go into a shell. That's what happened to Hardy last year and Callahan didn't want a repeat.

Just throwing an 18 year old kid to the wolves and letting him get beaten up isn't always the best way to develop talent. Confidence is just as important as ability with these kids.

Anyone who thinks they know more about personnel than the coaches probably thinks a little too highly of themselves.