SIGNED: Ath John Levorson

I am not sure that I would label anyone as the "least impact" player....... at this point, Harrison Beck and Josh Freeman were "no impact" 4-5 star guys and Stew Bradley was a huge impact 1-2 star guy....

Besides, this kid is an ATHLETE !!!!!! He was on a 4 x 400 relays that ran an insane time at the State Track Meet....you can't teach speed and competitiveness...... I have relatives that live in Crete and the word is that he may be the best athlete to come from Crete in many, many years...... He supposedly is a tremendous "hitter" as a DB.... the kid loves contact and plays QB because of his athleticism...

Welcome aboard John....we will just have to wait and see if his is a high or low impact player....but I am going to guess that an in-state kid who has grown up a Husker, and has his type of athletic ability, will work his a$$ off and will be a player before all is said and done....

Adam Carricker was 1-2 stars out of High School and he had a huge impact his last 2 years

I would like to see a 1 or 2 star player pull that off at a "skill position."

I am not sure that I would label anyone as the "least impact" player....... at this point, Harrison Beck and Josh Freeman were "no impact" 4-5 star guys and Stew Bradley was a huge impact 1-2 star guy....

Besides, this kid is an ATHLETE !!!!!! He was on a 4 x 400 relays that ran an insane time at the State Track Meet....you can't teach speed and competitiveness...... I have relatives that live in Crete and the word is that he may be the best athlete to come from Crete in many, many years...... He supposedly is a tremendous "hitter" as a DB.... the kid loves contact and plays QB because of his athleticism...

Welcome aboard John....we will just have to wait and see if his is a high or low impact player....but I am going to guess that an in-state kid who has grown up a Husker, and has his type of athletic ability, will work his a$$ off and will be a player before all is said and done....

Adam Carricker was 1-2 stars out of High School and he had a huge impact his last 2 years

I would like to see a 1 or 2 star player pull that off at a "skill position."

Carriker was a 3 star.

Alex Smith was a 2 star prospect recruited by Bill Busch and he became the #1 pick in the NFL draft and a Heisman runner up.

• 2 months later...

Wockenfuss, Crete run over No. 10 Seward

BY RON POWELL / Lincoln Journal Star

Friday, Aug 24, 2007 - 11:27:20 pm CDT

SEWARD — The John Levorson Show gave way to the Crete Variety Hour as the defending Class B state football champions put on a two-thumbs-up performance in the season-opener Friday night.

The Cardinals rushed for 376 yards, led by senior Cody Wockenfuss’ 105 yards on eight carries as third-ranked Crete rolled to a 33-6 road win at No. 10 Seward at the Seward High School Field.

Wockenfuss broke a pitch play for a 56-yard touchdown run for Crete’s second TD midway through the second quarter. He was one of five different Cardinals to reach the end zone, none of whom were Levorson, the senior all-state quarterback and Nebraska safety recruit.

Junior Trevor Florendo scored on a 53-yard run on the third play of the game as he finished with 82 yards on eight attempts. Senior fullback Marcus Smith racked up 79 yards on 10 carries, including a 3-yard TD run with 2:17 left in the first half which gave Crete a 19-0 halftime lead.

“This isn’t the one-man team a lot of people thought it would be before the season,’’ Wockenfuss said. “John’s our key player, but we have other guys who can step up and make plays if they have to.’’

The 6-foot-3, 190-pound Levorson finished with 38 yards on nine carries and threw a 16-yard TD pass to Ethan Shunkwiler to cap a 73-yard, eight-play scoring drive on Crete’s first possession of the second half.

Later in the third quarter, back-up quarterback Jeremy Brandt connected with Dylan Gammel for a 12-yard TD pass on fourth down to put Crete up 33-0. That score was set up by a Levorson fumble recovery at the Seward 43-yard line.

Levorson made an acrobatic one-handed interception which he returned 37 yards for an apparent TD in the second quarter, only to have it called back for an illegal block in the back by the Cardinals. On the next play, Levorson lost the second of two fumbles he committed in the contest. He also threw an interception.

Crete had four turnovers, but also forced Seward into five miscues (four lost fumbles and an interception).

“I really liked our effort,” McGinnis said. “Our execution wasn’t what I’d like to see, but those are things we can fix and get better at.

“John (Levorson) would be the first to tell you that we have a lot of good football players on this team,’’ the Crete coach added. “We‘re trying to get them in a position where we can best use their speed. Our whole backfield ran well and they got great blocking up front. They have good vision and can run to daylight.”

McGinnis was pleased with the Cardinals’ defensive effort. Crete had surrendered just 92 total yards before Seward put together an 83-yard drive late in the fourth quarter against Crete’s reserves. Senior quarterback Alex Lowther tossed a 41-yard scoring pass to sophomore I-back Chase Koch with 2:50 left to avoid the shutout.

“We had some real question marks up front with four new guys on the (defensive) line, but I really thought they controlled the line of scrimmage,” McGinnis said. “I thought our lone returning starter up there, Shane Renner, played very well tonight.’’

Lowther finished with 72 yards rushing and another 87 yards through the air. Despite the loss, Seward coach Greg Welch was upbeat about his team‘s prospects the rest of the season.

“I really believe we‘ll be a good football team by the end of the year,” Welch said. “Crete has a lot of speed and did a lot of things well. But I’m proud of a lot of things we did, too.”

Reach Ron Powell at 473-7437 or rpowell@journalstar.com.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had the pleasure of watching this kid many times last year and this year. If you get the chance to see this kid live, you should. He's definitely one of those guys that has speed, but he looks faster with pads ON. His best attribute is probably his vision though. He seems to have the eyes of an owl. It sure would be nice to see him develop into a shutdown safety that the defense could always rely on. It seems like we've been lacking the reliability of a Josh Bullocks or a Mike Brown over the last few years.

• 4 weeks later...