LB Doug Rippy

I like the way the recruiting class is going so far. Granted we may lose 1 or 2 along the way, but it seems we are now starting to get a lot more looks from some of the top prospects around the nation again. Coach Callahan and his staff are starting to get the high school kids looking at Nebraska again. Give them credit they had their hands full when they got here, trying to get recruits interested in what he was trying to build here. Looking forward to a great year.

GBR!!! :bonez:bonez:bonez

Academics draw linebacker recruit

BY BRIAN ROSENTHAL / Lincoln Journal Star

Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 - 07:56:45 pm CDT

Doug Rippy named academics as a main reason he orally committed to play football for Nebraska.

“My main focus is to get my education,” Rippy said, “but at the end of the day, I want to play, too.”

Rippy, a 6-foot-2, 220-pound linebacker from Linden-McKinley High School in Columbus, Ohio, feels he can get both in Lincoln.

A three-star athlete according to Scout.com, Rippy becomes the 11th member of Nebraska’s 2008 recruiting class. He decided Thursday, but said he wanted to wait until the weekend to announce his plans.

What about Ohio State? There’s no offer from the hometown Buckeyes, and even if there was, Rippy said he’s not interested.

Rippy’s offers have come from Illinois, Akron, Cincinnati and Connecticut. He said Louisville and Michigan State have shown strong interest and may offer.

“But I’m 100 percent sure I want to be at Nebraska,” Rippy said.

His reasoning?

“The tradition of Nebraska and their academics,” he said. “Football is going to come, but you can’t do anything without academics. I just thought Nebraska was the best fit for me.”

Rippy, who said he carries a 3.8 grade-point average, is graduating in December and plans to enroll in Lincoln in January. He’ll participate in spring football.

Another key factor in Rippy’s decision, he said, was the fact Nebraska loses four linebackers — Steve Octavien, Bo Ruud, Corey McKeon and Lance Brandenburgh — off its 2007 team.

Rippy is the second linebacker commitment in the 2008 class. The other is Millard North senior Sean Fisher, whom Rippy said he talks with daily.

Rippy, who has been timed in 4.5 seconds in the 40-yard dash, had 148 tackles last season. He plays MIKE and SAM linebacker, and plans to play either position at Nebraska.

Nebraska assistant coach Joe Rudolph, who begins his first season with Nebraska after the past three years as a strength coach at Ohio State, played a key role in Rippy’s recruitment, as did defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove.

“They are the most supportive coaches ever,” Rippy said.

Rippy hasn’t visited Lincoln. He said he planning an unofficial visit in July, then his official visit for the weekend of the USC game.

Reach Brian Rosenthal at 473-7436 or brosenthal@journalstar.com.

Ugh, his team was 0-10 last year:

L 12-68

L 2-38

L 12-29

L 8-43

L 14-42

L 12-22

L 0-49

L 20-31

L 6-38

L 6-18

Looks like he is getting plenty of chances on D.

I might try go to the first game of year at Academy (the 68-12 loss).

doesn't look like his team has got much of an offense either. Only once did they reach 20 and 5 times were held to single digits. yikes!

• 1 month later...