What is the appeal of Colorado to our recruits?

It could also be because this year CU played or started 41 or 42 freshmen (redshirt and true). They had to rebuild because of recruiting woes when all the scandals hit. Recruits see how many freshmen got to play, and they want to play early.

For a coaching staff that has been there for a while....that is pretty poor...where did the recruit the past few years? Why isn't there more sophmore and juniors? I don't get why everyone thinks this coaching staff is so great? :sarcasm

Coaching staff has been there a while? They've been there just 2 seasons. The reason sophomores and juniors aren't playing is because some/a lot of them transferred when all the scandals were going on with Barnett and the previous coaching staff. Their recruiting classes 2 years before Hawkins got there would make Solich's recruiting classes look amazing. The talent on the team Hawkins took over last year was pathetic at best. Last year, they won like one game. This year, they are going bowling. Give credit where credit is due.

I think he could have recruited JUCO players if he was that hard up....I maintain that CU will go nowhere with the current staff....the whole culture at CU sucks.

I hate CU too. But we will both be sorely disappointed. Mark my words --- Hawkins will have CU at the top of the North within two years. He will have his squad move ahead of both Kansas and Missouri (though both seem perched to be pretty solid as well). They made a good hire and Hawkins has systematically rebuilt from the ground up. He went with serious youth, took his licks and developed his players in playing for the future.

Pelini should learn from that.

We used to receive recruits from our border states as imports in the past. But with a vastly improved Colorado, Kansas and Missouri, recruits from these states that often came to Nu will stay at home. Now it is our recruits that will be exported.

I think he could have recruited JUCO players if he was that hard up....I maintain that CU will go nowhere with the current staff....the whole culture at CU sucks.

I hate CU too. But we will both be sorely disappointed. Mark my words --- Hawkins will have CU at the top of the North within two years. He will have his squad move ahead of both Kansas and Missouri (though both seem perched to be pretty solid as well). They made a good hire and Hawkins has systematically rebuilt from the ground up. He went with serious youth, took his licks and developed his players in playing for the future.

Pelini should learn from that.

We used to receive recruits from our border states as imports in the past. But with a vastly improved Colorado, Kansas and Missouri, recruits from these states that often came to Nu will stay at home. Now it is our recruits that will be exported.

the only reason he might get towards the top is because of the scholarship limitations everyone has now...but even then, I think it is a long shot. I like Nebraska's chances far more than I do CU's at getting there first.

All these players that were former NU commits that are now going to CU, were they considering CU from the start, or did Hawkins look at NU's commit list and start wining & dining them? Seems odd to have so many recruits switch from NU to CU.

If they switched...they weren't really committed anyway....can't wait to beat them next year and make them feel silly. :rollin

I'm also wondering if Pelini low keyed his meetings with some of these kids because he didn't think they would fit well in his program.

I am surprised about Kuli, though. He told T.O. that he was coming to Nebraska no matter who the coach was.

Some losses to the class are understandable but some defections seem a little strange, too.

Hawkins knows how to coach and recruit. we shouldn't beat him up because their fan base sucks.

A large reason much of their fan base sucks is because McCartney promoted the hate. So did subsequent coaches to a lesser degree. The jury is still out on Hawkins but I consider everything/everybody outside a 3 foot circle around him to be guilty as sin.

If you read some of these posts I think it is easy to see why Hawk is having success. Everything the man does it is done in a positive way around the program. Some of you people here totally dwell on the past and feed off anything negative, Hawk doesn't spend one minute worrying about something that happened 30 minutes ago much less 5 years ago. Hawk is always working on moving forward and it doesn't matter to him if it is moving forward with his players, the team overall, or even the fan base as we saw this year with his threats before the Nebraska game. Players are responding to his message. Our schedule also makes a bit of a difference, we can probably count on 8 games being on national TV next season, that is huge recruiting tool right there. The bottom line is that we are moving forward and recruits are seeing it and responding well to it.

They finished 6-6 last year and dropped some bad games, yet they are managing to impress our recruits left and right. I would appreciate any insight. Please don't tell me the mountain either. He must be promising kids starting immediately. It must be good whatever they are selling over there.

Team success has never really mattered to a lot of recruits. You have to look no further than Notre Dame for proof of that.

Dan Hawkins and his staff can recruit pretty well AFAIK.

plus the staff and system has been in place for a couple of years, not a couple of weeks

It could also be because this year CU played or started 41 or 42 freshmen (redshirt and true). They had to rebuild because of recruiting woes when all the scandals hit. Recruits see how many freshmen got to play, and they want to play early.

For a coaching staff that has been there for a while....that is pretty poor...where did the recruit the past few years? Why isn't there more sophmore and juniors? I don't get why everyone thinks this coaching staff is so great? :sarcasm

I believe that Hawkins has only been at CU for 2 seasons. I wouldn't call that 'awhile'.

I listen to his coaches show during the season, he is a very charasmatic (sp) person. Tons of energy.

The fans really like him.

Some of the stuff on this board is unbelievable. For the record, I think CU has improved from a 2-10 first year under Hawkins to 6-6 this year. They are playing Alabama in a bowl game. They beat Oklahoma this year, who was at or near number 1 at the time. They do have a nice history, w ith a staff making some real progress. Kids see this, along with TV exposure, and want to be part of it. Let's give them a little credit. As far as I know, you don't have to learn Spanish to live there ( nice comment ), and they don't offer girls to recruits. Maybe recruits want to be part a positive and upcoming program as was said before. Maybe some of them even read this board and draw conclusions from the discussions...........

This thread is by far my favorite of all time! :lol::clap

Another major reason a recruit would pick CU over Nebraska is because when you go to CU, you can concentrate 100% on football and not have to worry about annoying college stuff like going to class or having to get an education or nonsense like that....

This statement in particular... oh man :rollin:rollin:rollin