Legacy v. Donors

As someone who hasent lived here for 3 genarations, I have to donate to get tickets. I dont have a problem with this, but I sit next to people that do not give at all. I understand that these people (or there parents) supported the team before we were great, but that was almost 40 years ago. I think the University is missing out on millions. If we are to stay at the very highest levels of play we need to have the money to compete. It gets old hearing people complain that donors get special treatment. I am sorry that I get a 5 dollar pizza party for my donation. Do any of you think the entire stadium should be re sat in order of donation (giving people who dont a chance to give). I know this would make people mad in the short term, but we would raise more money and keep ticket prices at the same level for years to come.

Just to give some stats. Texas is over 105 million, Ohio State over 110 million (tops in NCAA), LSU over 70 million. Also keep in mind that we dont take any University funds, we need to maximize our money to ensure we have a future at the top.

Just my thoughts :madash

My guess is that you are totally wrong on your idea.

My family has been involved with Nebraska since the late 1890's. Many, many, many, many donations have been made to this program and the univeristy itself. Far more than what most johnny come lately have to spend. It is a matter of tradition, loyalty and dedication. My grandfather was burried in his Nebraska game day attire. He never missed a home game in his entire life, he died at 93 years old. He paid his way and those after him have paid their way. They may not pay the upfront donation fee, of a what a measly 500 bucks, but they have paid one way or another.

My family name is very close to the top of the waterfall, where do I get to set? I will keep the family tickets and set just where my grandfather and his father sat, or as close to it as possible. Those around you become family, you know where there daughter and granddaughrers are, When their son or grandson is coming home from Iraq, where they work, their goals, their lives. You destroy the inner fiber of this program, it will be over and quickly.

Ideas like this might work at newer, less tradtional programs, but not here.

A terrible idea, and not very Husker like.

I just think this is totally wrong! This is what is wrong with our society....what if a family who had the tickets since the sell streak started and were passed down from generation to generation and they cannot afford to donate all kinds of money to the school? I really don't see how this would "help" the university in any way. As stated above, you are going to piss off more people than you are going to help. Besides, I would think TO would not support this idea of thinking at all.

As someone that is on the waiting list, I don't have many complaints. One complaint that I did have this last go round was that so much money was spent on the luxury boxes instead of even more seating. I think if they added seating, they would have no problem filling it. There are some in the luxury boxes that are only there because their company brought them to Nebraska and gave a lot of money for them to have luxury boxes for business reasons. Yet, the average Joe can't get tickets unless he knows someone or pays a lot more than face value for them, but has probably grown up with supporting the Huskers, knows the tradition, and would give his left nut for those season tickets, but can't afford a $5000 donation just to get what ever seats are offered to him.

Like I said, I don't complain about the way this system works, and will not begrudge someone that has supported the Huskers year in and year out for decades for getting those tickets...more power to them. I just believe that if you have the money to donate, and it is your choice to donate, fantastic, but why should you get preference over someone that maybe has supported the Huskers since birth, and is as big a fan as you are, but just cannot afford a sizeable donation?

If the stadium is going to be reseated according to sizes of monetary donations, then count me out...I am dead set against it, and will bet that other people that even have their season tickets would be offended, and knowing the values of Nebraskans, I would bet some would just not even bother anymore if they lost their seats to someone just because he had the cash to buy up. Not everyone that donates does so because they are great Husker fans...they do it to be "in", not to be "N". There is a big difference.

Re-seating by donation level would only create animosity. The way seating is handled at Memorial Stadium is what makes it so special. If we change to a donation based seating, it will only piss off those who have had tickets for years, rendering their years of loyal support useless. Man up, pay your dues and serve your time, just like those before you. Just because you have money doesnt mean you deserve better than those who have been coming to the games for 40+ yrs. Consider yourself lucky that you can even get season tickets, there are far more of us wanting to get season tickets than actually have them.

Memorial Stadium serves as a moral compass for those with this kind of backwards thinking. Just because you can come in with your big wallet, doesnt mean you care more about the program than a family that has been coming to games for 25 yrs and has to save up all year just to buy next years tixs. This is Nebraska where you have to earn respect, it isnt given just because you wipe your ass with $20's.

This was done early in the 90's with Men's Basketball. My parents had 4 season tickets in the B-level as long as I could remember, then they came out and said if we wanted to continue having those seats, we needed to donate x-amount of dollars to keep the seats, or if we wanted to donate less, we could move up to the C section, or if we didn't want to donate, we got put in the upper C section. Needless to say we gave up our tickets. It would piss off a lot of people that have been attending longer than some of us have been on the planet.

:):):):):):)

I'll be "donating" (actually helping to pay tuition) for the next 4 years. The only thing I don't like is the $17,000 extra because because we live 80 miles north of the SD/NE border. It just seems like a pretty steep premium but I wouldn't want my girl to go anywhere else.

>>>T_O_B

I'll be "donating" (actually helping to pay tuition) for the next 4 years. The only thing I don't like is the $17,000 extra because because we live 80 miles north of the SD/NE border. It just seems like a pretty steep premium but I wouldn't want my girl to go anywhere else.

>>>T_O_B

I will be donating monthly for the next 8 years........... :wasted:cheers

Re-seating by donation level would only create animosity. The way seating is handled at Memorial Stadium is what makes it so special. If we change to a donation based seating, it will only piss off those who have had tickets for years, rendering their years of loyal support useless. Man up, pay your dues and serve your time, just like those before you. Just because you have money doesnt mean you deserve better than those who have been coming to the games for 40+ yrs. Consider yourself lucky that you can even get season tickets, there are far more of us wanting to get season tickets than actually have them.

Memorial Stadium serves as a moral compass for those with this kind of backwards thinking. Just because you can come in with your big wallet, doesnt mean you care more about the program than a family that has been coming to games for 25 yrs and has to save up all year just to buy next years tixs. This is Nebraska where you have to earn respect, it isnt given just because you wipe your ass with $20's.

Just so you know I came from nothing. I am not rich, but comfortable. 99% of you would'nt do what I do. I leave my family and friends behind for long periods of time to work in some of the most horrible places on earth, it happens to pay me very well. I dont ask for your respect or to even show any. I have brought up a fair question. People can sit here and talk about "Husker like", while I can watch legacy guys whore out there tickets to the highest bidder. What is fair in that? I choose to give my money to the U. The fact is donations are the second biggest source of money to this program. If your family did something for the U in the past great, but I think the debts from the 60's have been paid in full. It is time to let the next generation into the stands, we understand that it takes a little more than just showing up every week to keep the Huskers great. I have invested in this program, I dont think I am a better person or a bigger fan than a legacy, but the first time we lose a coach because we cant come up with the money, then lets see the cries on this site.

Just want to say that I am a donor and I don't think that this would be fair because of how long some people have had their seats. Although I do wonder HOW they have been kept that long in some families. According to the agreement you sign it says the original ticket holder may pass the tickets to a son or daughter ONE TIME. If they get passed generation to generation then there must be some season ticket holders ages approaching the century mark. I just find that interesting.

What reseating should be done is that those people that sell their tickets game in and game out should be stripped of their tickets (as they are suppose to be) and let those that actually attend regularly be allowed ot move up. nothing pisses me off more then to see the same seats occupied by different people every single game. You know that the people that own the seats care about the money more then the team. To me that is not right.