DE Kevin Young

EE wont qualify from what I gather so this is a very big need.

I'm not saying you're wrong but I have a question. How do people know these things. I've seen this about EE now and about the 4 star DB that just committed. If they won't qualify why would the coaching staff offer? How could people on the message boards know but not the coaching staff?

I guess I need someone to educate me here. If people won't qualify, couldn't you determine that early and justr avoid them? Why even offer?

You can look at their GPA, core grades or test scores and get an idea.

We have a winner

He may make it. Very best to him..

I'm not saying you're wrong but I have a question. How do people know these things. I've seen this about EE now and about the 4 star DB that just committed. If they won't qualify why would the coaching staff offer? How could people on the message boards know but not the coaching staff?

I guess I need someone to educate me here. If people won't qualify, couldn't you determine that early and justr avoid them? Why even offer?

But it's still good to offer kids you think are talented but know have no chance to qualify. You can then sign and place the kid at a JUCO or even prep school, watch his progress, then have an easier time to recruit the kid in 2-3 years if he is worthy. Kids will feel loyalty to a school that recruited them and the JUCO school will push them back your way for helping put a talented kid in their program. Same for prep schools.

Not saying that is the case with Evans, because I have no idea if we will even place the kid, although we likely will. But guys like Broderick Hunter, Ricky Henry, Wallace Franklin, Aaron Schulte are all guys we placed then watched the progress of in JUCO.

Thanks Willie,

So if you over sign by a few people it doesn't hurt if a couple don't qualify. Plus you are usually first in the running in a couple of years when they've matured and qualified.

Makes sense. So there really is no risk to signing players that may not qualify.

But it's still good to offer kids you think are talented but know have no chance to qualify. You can then sign and place the kid at a JUCO or even prep school, watch his progress, then have an easier time to recruit the kid in 2-3 years if he is worthy. Kids will feel loyalty to a school that recruited them and the JUCO school will push them back your way for helping put a talented kid in their program. Same for prep schools.

Not saying that is the case with Evans, because I have no idea if we will even place the kid, although we likely will. But guys like Broderick Hunter, Ricky Henry, Wallace Franklin, Aaron Schulte are all guys we placed then watched the progress of in JUCO.

Thanks Willie,

So if you over sign by a few people it doesn't hurt if a couple don't qualify. Plus you are usually first in the running in a couple of years when they've matured and qualified.

Makes sense. So there really is no risk to signing players that may not qualify.

Not sure I like this whole sign/delay/JUCO route. Aren't there enough good h.s. players out there? I mean, we're pretty stocked w rs freshman aren't we?

Thanks Willie,

Not sure I like this whole sign/delay/JUCO route. Aren't there enough good h.s. players out there? I mean, we're pretty stocked w rs freshman aren't we?

It isnt the ideal situation but it is a good alternative..

Not if you have an immediate need. Imagine if we had not signed Ola Dagunduro and Barry Cryer how craptacular our DTs would have been. Imagine if we had not signed Zac Taylor. Imagine if we had not signed Mo Purify. These Callahan years would have been unbelievably bad without some JUCOs.

You sign, you place, you watch. If they look like players, you can bring them back. If they do not, nothing is lost. I don't see what the problem is in that?

Not if you have an immediate need. Imagine if we had not signed Ola Dagunduro and Barry Cryer how craptacular our DTs would have been. Imagine if we had not signed Zac Taylor. Imagine if we had not signed Mo Purify. These Callahan years would have been unbelievably bad without some JUCOs.

You sign, you place, you watch. If they look like players, you can bring them back. If they do not, nothing is lost. I don't see what the problem is in that?

Well, I guess in limited amount and as long as they can play right outta the gate since they usually only have 2 yrs max to play and then they are gonzo. Even so, it usually takes them 1 yr on the field to figure things out and then 1 last year to have an impact. Like Murillo for e.g., he wasn't that good last year, and only a little better this year. Purify and Taylor did do well, but left NU still relatively underveloped.

If we hadn't of gotten ZT maybe we would have just had to go with the Joey-nator. :thumbs

Well, I guess in limited amount and as long as they can play right outta the gate since they usually only have 2 yrs max to play and then they are gonzo. Even so, it usually takes them 1 yr on the field to figure things out and then 1 last year to have an impact. Like Murillo for e.g., he wasn't that good last year, and only a little better this year. Purify and Taylor did do well, but left NU still relatively underveloped.

If we hadn't of gotten ZT maybe we would have just had to go with the Joey-nator. :thumbs

Wait, what? Murillo has only been a little better this year? Geez, the dude has his side of the field on lock down. When you do not even hear a DB mentioned, you know he's playing good.

Taylor left under-developed? He went from average to Big 12 OPOY. We were able to take a QB with a noodle arm and turn him into the best QB in the conference. Not only that, but we were at least able to get him a spot in NFL camp even though he had no business being there with the type of abilities he had.

JUCO's are not bad. I mean, we even had some very legendary JUCO players from Osborne's days when JUCO players were not as common. Guys like Rozier, Farley and Booker all came from the JUCO ranks.

In reality, JUCO is like the AAA of college football. It gives players a chance to develop physically, get PT and hopefully gain maturity. The downside is it takes away from their years spent.

Now is it a good strategy to take a ton of JUCOs like K-State has done over the years? I wouldn't suggest it. But if you place a guy and he turns into a stud or if another player catches your eye, why the heck not? We are here to get the best talent possible regardless of where it comes from.

Wait, what? Murillo has only been a little better this year? Geez, the dude has his side of the field on lock down. When you do not even hear a DB mentioned, you know he's playing good.

Taylor left under-developed? He went from average to Big 12 OPOY. We were able to take a QB with a noodle arm and turn him into the best QB in the conference. Not only that, but we were at least able to get him a spot in NFL camp even though he had no business being there with the type of abilities he had.

JUCO's are not bad. I mean, we even had some very legendary JUCO players from Osborne's days when JUCO players were not as common. Guys like Rozier, Farley and Booker all came from the JUCO ranks.

In reality, JUCO is like the AAA of college football. It gives players a chance to develop physically, get PT and hopefully gain maturity. The downside is it takes away from their years spent.

Now is it a good strategy to take a ton of JUCOs like K-State has done over the years? I wouldn't suggest it. But if you place a guy and he turns into a stud or if another player catches your eye, why the heck not? We are here to get the best talent possible regardless of where it comes from.

K, maybe I'm missing something, but I wouldn't call Murillo a 'lockdown' cb.

If Taylor had been at NE even one more year he might have had a better shot in the league. Same for Purify. But anyway, i think we are mainly in agreement, but I'm just not that sold on JUCOS that much unless you find one that is a total stud(Rozier).

I guess the coaches know what they are doing.

Murillo has played much better this year than last year. If you don't hear a guy mentioned it means he's not giving up many big plays, but it also means he's not making any big plays either. Lock down corners tend to get mentioned a lot for their pass break ups, interceptions, great coverage, and outstanding run support.

|--------Tackles--------| |-Sacks-| |---Pass Def---| |-Fumbles-| Blkd

DEF Stats GP-GS Solo Ast Total TFL/Yds No-Yds Int-Yds BrUp QBH Rcv-Yds FF Kick Saf

6 Murillo, A. 12-11 29 9 38 2-1 . 1-57 9 1 1-11 0 0 0

These are solid stats (actually better than I thought they would be before I looked them up) but far from lock down corner stats. I expect better from you Willie, you usually seem to be on the money.

Maybe he appears to a "lock down" corner because everyone we've played has noticed that they can abuse West on the other side of the field. Or take full advantage of Thorell lining up on the slot receiver. I'd do it, it has appeared to be too easy sometimes.

Anyhow, back to the thread welcome Mr. Young, the ChickenHawks are putting Tyrone Sellers in serious protective custody scared crapless that we'll take him too. Young is better, and I'd rather take Prinz if anything.