6-6 08' Season acceptable???

If the last guy was almost burned at the stake for going 5-6 and 5-7, I'd say 6-6 isn't much better and probably isn't acceptable either. Hopefully Pelini has higher goals or an ear to the ground for a job with lower expectations.

I'm not 100% positive, but I think it was in Bo's spring press conference were he said "I told the players if you don't beleive we can win every game this year then you don't belong on this team."

I'd say he has a little higher goal then 6-6. :woo

I'll steal what Bo had to say but I'll re-word it......here it goes

"If you don't believe that we can win every game this year then you don't belong on this message board!"

I'm sorry for being rude but I believe in this team and that's what this team needs from its fans is to believe in them. If we have confidence in them and they'll have confidence in themselves knowning that we believe in them. If we're pumped up cheering, they'll be pumped up ready to play. Lets light a fire under their a$$es and lets get our team PUMPED UP.

GO BIG RED

Obviously there's a difference between believing you can win every game, and what constitutes a reasonable expectation for this season...and I think most on this board get that. This is one thing that sets Husker fans apart, we understand it can take a couple years to build a program. But we also demand results. Seeing improvements might enough for this year, possibly next, but after that it comes down to the win-loss record. Which is why Cally got canned. Flashy stats and impressive recruits are nice, but if you're not winning you're out!

Now, while I generally feel that Mark May's football analysis is complete crap, the 6-6 record he predicted for us is close to being realistic. The fact is, we'll probably be underdogs vs. VT, Mizzou, TT, OU and KU. And with how they killed us last year, before the season CU would be favored over us.

I think the team will improve greatly, and we will win two of the three among VT, KU and CU. So I guess I'm saying that 6-6 is realistic...7-5 is satisfactory...I'm looking for 8-4...and there's an outside chance at 9-3. But in 2010, 9-3 or better or bust.

This pretty much sums up everyones thinking. Once KU beats a team everyone says "Well, they just weren't any good to begin with". Let me remind you that Virginia Tech was #3 in the BCS when KU beat then. Everyone had V-Tech killing KU. KU's offense deserves some credit guys. They're good. And to say the KU defense is just mediocre is ridiculous! Get off your mom's computer and go back to your room. The adults are having a conversation.

I said the entire year last year that Kansas didn't impress me. They had a VERY weak schedule. Also buddy, tell me of ONE game where Kansas's defense held a GOOD offense to a minimum. I can't think of one. If Kansas had this years schedule last year then they would have NOT gotten to a BCS game.

BTW, It's VA Techs defense that kept them in the running last year. Thier offense was about as good as Nebraska's defense. Obviously you missed half the season last year, which in turn makes it pointless to argue with you. If Kansas comes out this year and pulls an 11 win season out then hey maybe I'll give them more credit but as of right now, I dont see anything more than a 8-9 win season. Just like Nebraska.

Wait for it...

Wait for it......

Unreal. I could really care less what you think about KU's season last year. But you have to be realistic. KU has a solid defense, not mediocre, solid. They shut down A&M's offense. But seriously, they don't have to completely shut offense's down when there offense averages 44 points a game. And V-Tech did have a good defense, but KU still managed to score 24, and they could of scored again at the end, but Mangino has class and downed it.

Keep telling yourself that KU was just lucky last year. That will give our seniors even more to play for. They will not lose in Lawrence this year. Book it.

If the last guy was almost burned at the stake for going 5-6 and 5-7, I'd say 6-6 isn't much better and probably isn't acceptable either. Hopefully Pelini has higher goals or an ear to the ground for a job with lower expectations.

I'm not 100% positive, but I think it was in Bo's spring press conference were he said "I told the players if you don't beleive we can win every game this year then you don't belong on this team."

My point was that if 5-7 definitely wasn't acceptable, why would a 1 game improvement be considered acceptable by the same standards? In my opinion, they are not. You can't hold one person to a certain standard of wins/losses, but give the next a pass "because they played hard." That's garbage, queue the Gundy pic.

I don't expect 12-0, but 6-6 isn't going to make me jump for joy. There were some on here that said they would rather not NU go to a bowl if they had won the last game against CU to get to 6-6. We are 1 year later, without losing a ton of the core from last year's team and hopefully a drastic improvement in attitude and performance on the defense. 6-6 is worst case scenario, IMO. I expect 8-4, at least.

This pretty much sums up everyones thinking. Once KU beats a team everyone says "Well, they just weren't any good to begin with". Let me remind you that Virginia Tech was #3 in the BCS when KU beat then. Everyone had V-Tech killing KU. KU's offense deserves some credit guys. They're good. And to say the KU defense is just mediocre is ridiculous! Get off your mom's computer and go back to your room. The adults are having a conversation.

I said the entire year last year that Kansas didn't impress me. They had a VERY weak schedule. Also buddy, tell me of ONE game where Kansas's defense held a GOOD offense to a minimum. I can't think of one. If Kansas had this years schedule last year then they would have NOT gotten to a BCS game.

BTW, It's VA Techs defense that kept them in the running last year. Thier offense was about as good as Nebraska's defense. Obviously you missed half the season last year, which in turn makes it pointless to argue with you. If Kansas comes out this year and pulls an 11 win season out then hey maybe I'll give them more credit but as of right now, I dont see anything more than a 8-9 win season. Just like Nebraska.

Wait for it...

Wait for it......

Unreal. I could really care less what you think about KU's season last year. But you have to be realistic. KU has a solid defense, not mediocre, solid. They shut down A&M's offense. But seriously, they don't have to completely shut offense's down when there offense averages 44 points a game. And V-Tech did have a good defense, but KU still managed to score 24, and they could of scored again at the end, but Mangino has class and downed it.

Keep telling yourself that KU was just lucky last year. That will give our seniors even more to play for. They will not lose in Lawrence this year. Book it.

As I said, If they go through and win 10-12 games this year I will be impressed, and astonished, but I do not see it happenning. They have a much tougher schedule this year and will lose at least 3 games. Count on that. Don't let one good year blind you from the truth Jayhawk fan.

By the way, your offense averaged 44 points a game, against sh**ty teams and sh**ty defenses. Yes, including Nebraska's craptastic D.

My point was that if 5-7 definitely wasn't acceptable, why would a 1 game improvement be considered acceptable by the same standards? In my opinion, they are not. You can't hold one person to a certain standard of wins/losses, but give the next a pass "because they played hard." That's garbage, queue the Gundy pic.

I don't expect 12-0, but 6-6 isn't going to make me jump for joy. There were some on here that said they would rather not NU go to a bowl if they had won the last game against CU to get to 6-6. We are 1 year later, without losing a ton of the core from last year's team and hopefully a drastic improvement in attitude and performance on the defense. 6-6 is worst case scenario, IMO. I expect 8-4, at least.

exactly.... aside from the kstate game, after our USC game you saw about the worst we could deliver. and we still almost beat texas and had a large lead at the half with CU. and we have an easier schedule. to me 6-6 is the bottom of exceptable. I expect 7-8 wins.

If we got 0-12 but fight to the death in every game, I'll be satisfied. After last season, what I really want to see if effort and passion out on the field. The rest will take care of itself.

Excellent point. Effort is all we can expect or demand.

And, by the way, whether we are satisfied or not is not the point --- we as fans have no right or claim on the football team from a record perspective. As taxpayers we do have a right to expect that players on scholarship graduate. Perhaps we can reasonably expect that the players and coaches represent well our university (in terms of conduct, behavior, class, etc.) As for record, well no expectations.

May is correct, or at least reasonable, in saying that a 6 win season is highly likely. So too is perhaps a 7 win season. Less likely is 8 (or more) wins. Either way, no matter what record, play hard and fight and what happens happens.

Bah...May was an offensive lineman and we all know how smart them guys are after years of having their heads beat on...they probably have to write his script in pictograms....

You'll notice I've said that I thought NU would be going 7-5 with a bowl invite this season (TE are NOT linemen...well, maybe at Nebraska they are....but technically they are not, therefore making my prediction much more accurate than May) and I would be satisifed with that...not happy mind you...but satisifed.

As for KU...anybody remember the name of the guy that sang "Kung Fu Fighting"? How about the group that sang "Macarena (a heinous crime which I'm hoping they are burning in Hell for right now)" I'm sure if you google those songs you'll be able to find those people...just like five years from now you'll be able to google "2007 Orange Bowl Winner" to remember who the heck that team was because they sure aren't around anymore....

I'll steal what Bo had to say but I'll re-word it......here it goes

"If you don't believe that we can win every game this year then you don't belong on this message board!"

I'm sorry for being rude but I believe in this team and that's what this team needs from its fans is to believe in them. If we have confidence in them and they'll have confidence in themselves knowning that we believe in them. If we're pumped up cheering, they'll be pumped up ready to play. Lets light a fire under their a$$es and lets get our team PUMPED UP.

GO BIG RED

Obviously there's a difference between believing you can win every game, and what constitutes a reasonable expectation for this season...and I think most on this board get that. This is one thing that sets Husker fans apart, we understand it can take a couple years to build a program. But we also demand results. Seeing improvements might enough for this year, possibly next, but after that it comes down to the win-loss record. Which is why Cally got canned. Flashy stats and impressive recruits are nice, but if you're not winning you're out!

Now, while I generally feel that Mark May's football analysis is complete crap, the 6-6 record he predicted for us is close to being realistic. The fact is, we'll probably be underdogs vs. VT, Mizzou, TT, OU and KU. And with how they killed us last year, before the season CU would be favored over us.

I think the team will improve greatly, and we will win two of the three among VT, KU and CU. So I guess I'm saying that 6-6 is realistic...7-5 is satisfactory...I'm looking for 8-4...and there's an outside chance at 9-3. But in 2010, 9-3 or better or bust.

I hope you are correct in that Husker fans realize it will take a few years. My fear is that those"we can win every game people" will, at the end of a 6-6, or a 7-5 season be so "dissatisfied" that they want to run the coaching staff out of town and blast the players for not "meeting their expectations."

Some posit that players need fans to think that they can win every game. I counter that players need to know that fans will root for them unceasingly no matter what the record --- so long as 100% effort is what characterizes their play.

There are, at the very least, 30 - 35 teams right now that have better talent than NU --- and at least 4 or five of them (and perhaps as many as 6) are in our conference.

Next season a 7-5 would be a nice turnaround. 8-4 would be an amazing turnaround. As to the 9-3 in 2010 --- I doubt that, not with a new quarterback at the helm. Be patient. We are thin on talent and there is a new system.

6-6 Not acceptable

7-5 Getting better but theres still a knot in my stomach

8-4 I'm happy with this and things could be turning around

9-5 Its a some what progress but its no different than going 8-4

10-3 2003 team returns from the dead and fans are happy again (Pelini was DC in 2003)

11-2 Haven't seen this in awhile. We're heading in the right direction

11-1 This is what I'm talking about baby

12-0 or 13-0 I'm creaming in my pants cause we're National Champs

I honestly think that we'll be 8-4, 9-3, or 10-3 with Big 12 win this year

Some posit that players need fans to think that they can win every game. I counter that players need to know that fans will root for them unceasingly no matter what the record --- so long as 100% effort is what characterizes their play.

:yeah

And I'd add--"no matter what the outcome of the game is. They play 100% heart until the final whistle blows."

There is no way I would consider a 6-6 season as acceptable this year or any year to be honest. This year we have 8-9 home games and we should win 6 of them..at least. If we just have better defensive play this year (which we surely will do because it wont get worse than last year), we will win those 8-9 games. I think Pelini knows what needs to be done defensively to lead us to more victories. I put us down for 8 plus wins this year...and that is my low number. We may win more than that, but not less.

1- Mark May is an a$$hat and has no worth while insight for Husker football

2- I hate it whenever I look at a post on this forum and everything turns into a KU screamfest, honestly they had a good year last year,but the KU fans need to stop running their mouth about their program until they at least have consistent success, not one year. I mean come on go take this crap into to KU forum ... if they even have one

If we got 0-12 but fight to the death in every game, I'll be satisfied. After last season, what I really want to see if effort and passion out on the field. The rest will take care of itself.

If we start out 0-4, there will be " Fire Bo" websites all over the net. 0-8, cars would be turned over and started on fire in front of Memorial Statium. 0-12, Bo's bags would be packed and he would be searching for the best DC job he could find. 6-6, would that have been acceptable last year, five years ago, or 38 years ago? NO!!!! And it's not acceptable now.