6-6 08' Season acceptable???

After work I tune my radio to 1620 so I can hear the Unsportsmanlike Conduct show and they brought up a topic that really ticked me off. This topic was also talked about on the HuskerPedia BBS forum:

Not sure if anybody caught College Football Live on ESPN last night, but they did a spring preview. Desmond Howard filled in for Coach Holtz. NU was not featured (which I can understand) but they did read an e-mail question from a Husker fan - How will the Huskers do under new coach Bo Pelini?

Mark May answers that due to an easy non-conference schedule, NU should be able to win 6 games - 3 non-conference and 3 conference games. Reese Davis just laughed and rhetorically asked, do you think Husker fans would be happy with that? May said "they should be."

Should we? Given that Stoops was 7-5 in year one at OU and Pete Carroll was 6-6 in year one at USC, is 6-6 and a bowl game in year one for Bo Pelini satisfactory? from C Brown on HuskerPedia BBS

IMO I can't stand Mark May and Kirk Herbstreit because they have nothing nice or good to say about Nebraska and Mark should do MLB instead of College Football. But He said that Husker fans should be happy with a 6-6 2008 Season. But we've had two 5-7 season in the past 4 years and Tom Osborne said it himself when Callahan was our Coach that a 6-6 season is unacceptable.

I would disagree that we would be happy with a 6-6 season because thats not what Nebraska is all about. Nebraska football is made to pound the football down the opposing teams throat and with a very Dominant Blackshirt Defense. I think that we'll have a 8-9 wins this season guaranteed. GBR!!!!!

I have my own choice words for Mark May, not so much for this, but for nonsense he's spewed in the past (for those of you who remember USC was supposed to be the greatest team of all time last year before a single snap was played). But as to his point, no, it's not acceptable to hope for a 6-6 season. Acceptable is a National Championship, anything less than that means we have work to do.

Why was Kirk Herbstreit mentioned in the first post? Because he defended his newer teams against the Nebraska teams of old? Other than that I've not once heard him say anything bad about Nebraska, unless it was a realistic prediction of a game. Come off it.

Also Mark May is an idiot, and whether or not we're happy this season shouldn't be measured in wins and losses anyways.

You guys need to go back and see what Nebraska has done on the field. He is normally pretty spot on with his predictions. He may or may not like Nebraska, but he calls a spade a spade.

He and Kirk both have stated that Pelini was a great hire and that he should return us to where we once were. But some on here drink so much cool aid they can not see anywhere near the truth. The truth hurts guys and my guess is we will be a lot closer to 6-6 than we are 12-0.

Anyone not thinking that Bo is a god, with a realistic eye, and no giant life long love for Nebraska would guess about 6-6 is where we are at.

We could do better, I doubt worse. He has always questioned our talent, and some of us still do to. I think we have a coach that is going to make a difference, but if some said you have to pick between 12-0 or 6-6 or you lose your house, my guess is 6-6 is where I would put my money.

National Champions, 12-0, Lucky for Hypsman. 5-7 is reality, the rest is pie in the sky. Play the games, then talk. What we know for fact is we, do not have a proven QB, a to the house running back. A prove reciever, a tigh end a O line. We do not have a prove Dline, our best linebacker just became one. Think about what you are saying. If you heard a KState fan or Colorado fan say these things you would be balistic. Wishiing hoping and wanting are not going to get it done. We have proven players that have not gotten it done. What makes all so certain they can flip a switch and be All Americans this year.

8-4 is as good as it is going to get this year is my guess, and I will be damned happy with it.

I think 6 is the bottom end i don't see us losing the first 3 non-conference games and we should beat baylor iowa st and kansas st. Also we have a great home schedule this year which should help pelini get things going. Honestly i am a little concerned but i think this year is going to be way more fun to watch than the last few. I think we could get some surprising wins at home, but like everyones said wins are not as important as how we play and I think they are going to play some real Husker football this year. BRING BACK THE BLACKSHIRTS!!!! GBR

Ya we are homers. But we also know more about the program. We know how many problems from last year that are quite fixable. We underachieved BIGTIME in '07 because meh S&C, no motivation, crappy D-schemes/position-coaching, lack of husker-pride, and BC being pigheaded. That can't be completely reversed in a year but major headway can be made. We have talent and should win in '08, not win big but win.

Mark May just showed his intelligense...what a dumb a$$. There is no way that Nebraska is 6-6 this year...and if we were to, thousands of Nebraskans will be having heart attacks and seizures.

Once again ESPN has shown just how anyone can be a commentator and know nothing...I never put too much credence in anything that they have to say. Most of us have a better handle on Big 12 football than anyone at ESPN does most of the time.

9 wins in 12 games is acceptable. That's winning 75% of the time. Year in & year out, that's a good football team. That's what I'm used to & that's what I can tolerate (to watch). Nothing wrong with that since it's MO.

Pelini is the coach now and he's got a tough job to do. He knows it. He's ready for the challenge. Seems like the players are ready for it too. First year should be the toughest.

Yeah, six wins really is unrealistic. Western Michigan, New Mexico, San Jose, Iowa State, Baylor, these are all pretty much gimmes. Kansas State probably is too, although not as much. Then you look at Colorado, Kansas, and Missouri, which are all going to be good teams (none of them will be great), and also look at how they struggle in Lincoln year in and year out. Say we only win one of those three, that's already seven. We've still got Va Tech and Texas Tech which are once again, going to be good teams, but not great. Win one of those two games, we're up to eight wins, and that's even an UNFAVORABLE result, at least in my eyes.

Kansas and Missouri will be in the top 10 most likely. Both have Hypsman hopeful QB's. Both return a good portion of what got them there last year. Missouri fans, my son lives near and works in Columbia, actually feel they will be much better than last year.

Who knows, but I just do not buy into this talent load we are suppose to have. Below Texas, Oklahoma and Missouri, most likely Texas Tech. Va Tech is the game that really means something. If we can give them a good game at home and win or at least appear to be in the game then things have changed.

Football requires heart, dedication, loyalty and relentless motivation. These are things we very rarely saw last year for what ever reason. Coaching caused is the current theme. Maybe it was maybe it wasn't. I do not know. What I saw was a large majority of quitters. Can Bo change this? Most likley, but will it be quick enough?

He is doing everything right as far as I am concerned, so I really am not going to be to terribly concerned with wins and losses. 6-6 and in every game with a never say die attitude, give it to me, I can deal with it. I want an attitude change more than I want wins. With the attitude change comes wins.