6-6 08' Season acceptable???

To answer the question it only takes one word

NO

KU had a cake schedule last year and was lucky that the North stunk. There is no way they match that this year. You can take that to the bank, quote me, write it down, take a photograph I don't care it isn't going to happen. Top 25 maybe Top 10 not a chance. Didn't they only have 1 good win last year? VA Tech and that was it. NU? ISU? KSU? CU? Didn't they play Baylor, OSU, and A&M from the south? If so that is a complete joke.

And Mark May is a complete Butt-Crack as well.

INITIAL NOTE: Mark MAy is an Asshat, if you find this sort of thought disturbing, do not read on.

Not saying we repeat last year, but ask OU about playing CU in Boulder, and not ONE other team beat A&M in college station, so not sure how that is a joke. We played you guys, so for what it is worth.... We also owned a lot of decent teams, and beat Oklahoma State in Stillwater, and they had only 1 other home loss, by 3 points to Texas (we beat em by 13, and it was not that close).

MARK MAY backwards is Yam Kram, and I do not know the signifigance of it, but it may be how his brain got installed....

final quick note on your KU hating, I would not rule out Top 10, but I think that would be a very nice accomplishment and do not really expect it. 9-3 and losing a close race in the north to Mizzou is my expectation and should happen.

Of course, many of you think KU fans all expect last year, which I only have seen 1 KU fan predict. I not ruling anything out, if things go really well it could be a repeat, but that is not what I see people saying that they expect. So, I am not sure who some of you are arguing with about KU in the national title game, not many people saying that anywhere I read, on this board or elsewhere.

Mark May is the devil, except not nearly as smart.

As this is the HUSKER board, I think a longer comment on Mark May is due. The guy is an idiot, if he is right about you guys or not. He dogged us all last year, no matter what we did or how well we did it, but that reminds me of a lot of you all :dunno , but he is well known for being wrong. He picked against us pretty much every weak, called us fake, said we be exposed... and then said the same thign the next week. You all will almost surely be better than 6-6, but he does not trouble himself with annoying research or looking through your schedule. He just reads some talking points, uses his preconceived ideas, and moves on.

That said, the Huskers should be better than 6-6, although new staff can be tough, I think you all will do better than that.

Not sure why you are picking on Kirk H... He a good guy and announcer, REPEAT, Mark MAy is an idiot, do not waste your brain cells considering him, it is time you will have stolen from you and you can never get it back...

I could consider 6-6 acceptable if we were having a "hard luck" season where we are consistently compeititive but can't quite win the close ones or if we have a rash of injuries. But considering we have four gimmies, three more we should win with ISU, KSU, and CU, and all except OU would should have a solid chance I would have trouble being satisfied with 6-6.

If the last guy was almost burned at the stake for going 5-6 and 5-7, I'd say 6-6 isn't much better and probably isn't acceptable either. Hopefully Pelini has higher goals or an ear to the ground for a job with lower expectations.

After watching Pelini's intensity on the field the last few years and seeing his results, I can safely state he has much higher goals than 6-6. He may or may not reach those goals this year, next year, or even the year after... but he will reach them. I would rather see consistent improvement than a few years of success at the expense of long term dominance. After all, as fans of traditional powerhouse teams, what else should we expect?

All those 9 win seasons under Devaney/Osborne were because a system was in place, and Osborne was an OFFENSIVE GENIUS! Not to many HCs or OCs are in Osborne's class as far as play calling! 8-5 in rebuilding program, with the same OC, depth on the OL and with a competant DC and good STs, the Big Red could go 8-5 and win the Alamo Bowl.

We won 9 games every year because we played one game a year, Oklahoma got beat and got trounced normally in our bowl game.

Things have changed. Every team on our schedule feels they can beat us. We are not the giant of the past and I doubt we ever will be again. Every team runs in cycles, but due to our easy schedules and below par conference we have a glorious past. Embrace it because it is going to be awhile for it to return.

Just give me a team that is there to play every single game. That is all I ask.

We won 9 games every year because we played one game a year, Oklahoma got beat and got trounced normally in our bowl game.

Things have changed. Every team on our schedule feels they can beat us. We are not the giant of the past and I doubt we ever will be again. Every team runs in cycles, but due to our easy schedules and below par conference we have a glorious past. Embrace it because it is going to be awhile for it to return.

?

http://www.huskerpedia.com/bowls.html

yeah we went through a bad stretch late 80's, but how many times in that stretch did we lose to the national champion? but other than that we were about .500

those were good NU teams

We played one great non-conference game and OU, then CU and then KSU. The bowl game losses came in the late 80s and early 90s. You must not have watched much NU football! Anytime your team doesn't pass and you win 9 games, you know what you are doing! Add in the fact that NU didn't have top 10 recruiting classes each year like USC, Florida or LSU, or even OU or Texas and what Osborne accomplished is INCREDIBLE, especially with him calling the plays and making the offense!

If the last guy was almost burned at the stake for going 5-6 and 5-7, I'd say 6-6 isn't much better and probably isn't acceptable either. Hopefully Pelini has higher goals or an ear to the ground for a job with lower expectations.

I'm not 100% positive, but I think it was in Bo's spring press conference were he said "I told the players if you don't beleive we can win every game this year then you don't belong on this team."

I'd say he has a little higher goal then 6-6. :woo

My point was that if 5-7 definitely wasn't acceptable, why would a 1 game improvement be considered acceptable by the same standards? In my opinion, they are not. You can't hold one person to a certain standard of wins/losses, but give the next a pass "because they played hard." That's garbage, queue the Gundy pic.

I don't expect 12-0, but 6-6 isn't going to make me jump for joy. There were some on here that said they would rather not NU go to a bowl if they had won the last game against CU to get to 6-6. We are 1 year later, without losing a ton of the core from last year's team and hopefully a drastic improvement in attitude and performance on the defense. 6-6 is worst case scenario, IMO. I expect 8-4, at least.

Just an fyi, the previous coach wasn't almost burned at the stake simply for going 5-7. He was almost burned at the stake for taking the team backwards, to a point that almost all Husker fans have never seen, when the year before he got hired, the team took a huge step forwards. It was due to him crapping on the past and changing the culture of a very special program, to a very ordinary program with no distinguishing features. He was almost burned at the stake for not giving a damn about it.

The conditioning, attitude, passion, and football intelligence of the team can be changed in one year. It has the talent to compete in the Big 12, now it has coaches who have the ability to lead them into the future. I can guarantee this defense being a top 40 defense, and can see it being even better. I would think that anything less than 7 wins will be a disappointment, and I can see 10 wins and a spot in the Big 12 championship game.

I'm not 100% positive, but I think it was in Bo's spring press conference were he said "I told the players if you don't beleive we can win every game this year then you don't belong on this team."

My point was that if 5-7 definitely wasn't acceptable, why would a 1 game improvement be considered acceptable by the same standards? In my opinion, they are not. You can't hold one person to a certain standard of wins/losses, but give the next a pass "because they played hard." That's garbage, queue the Gundy pic.

I don't expect 12-0, but 6-6 isn't going to make me jump for joy. There were some on here that said they would rather not NU go to a bowl if they had won the last game against CU to get to 6-6. We are 1 year later, without losing a ton of the core from last year's team and hopefully a drastic improvement in attitude and performance on the defense. 6-6 is worst case scenario, IMO. I expect 8-4, at least.

Just an fyi, the previous coach wasn't almost burned at the stake simply for going 5-7. He was almost burned at the stake for taking the team backwards, to a point that almost all Husker fans have never seen, when the year before he got hired, the team took a huge step forwards. It was due to him crapping on the past and changing the culture of a very special program, to a very ordinary program with no distinguishing features. He was almost burned at the stake for not giving a damn about it.

The conditioning, attitude, passion, and football intelligence of the team can be changed in one year. It has the talent to compete in the Big 12, now it has coaches who have the ability to lead them into the future. I can guarantee this defense being a top 40 defense, and can see it being even better. I would think that anything less than 7 wins will be a disappointment, and I can see 10 wins and a spot in the Big 12 championship game.

Missouri 12-2, 16 returning starters including 10 on defense, Heisman QB and Jeremy Macklin.

Jayhawks, great QB, 9 starters back on a top 5 defense. How much better will these two teams be?

I'm not going to argue with you on emotional matters when Dr. Tom presented things as black and white as could be at the press conference when Callahan was fired. Go 8-4, your job is safe. 7-5, kinda shaky, but your job should still be safe. Go 6-6, and it's unlikely that we can keep you, go 5-7, you're gone. This was after 2 seasons of improvement on the first season. If 6-6 wasn't good enough for the last guy, I don't think it should be good enough for the new guy. So no, 6-6 is not acceptable. Never has been, never will be, I don't give a sh#t who the coach is.

Missouri 12-2, 16 returning starters including 10 on defense, Heisman QB and Jeremy Macklin.

Jayhawks, great QB, 9 starters back on a top 5 defense. How much better will these two teams be?

A realistic perspective would be that both Kansas and Missouri will be well, well ahead of NU this next year and likely somewhat ahead of them for the short-term foreseeable future after that. NU has some serious catching up to do --- and a 6-6 season (or perhaps a 7-5 season) are about all anyone can expect for this next season. Whether it is acceptable or not is irrelevant --- it is what it is.