6-6 08' Season acceptable???

Bigrediowan,

Could you quit holding back and let us know how you really feel. please. :clap

:yeah Maybe lay off the donuts for a while. :lol:

6-6 might be realistic, but I would be willing to bet my bank account that a majority of Husker fans would be pretty disappointed. I know I would.

But I would be a little more accepting of it if the team goes out and give 150% every play. I wouldn't be happy, but I could deal with it. I think. :lol: Hopefully I won't have to.

keep in mind, this *is* mark may and he would gnaw off his left barnacle rather than saying anything positive about nebraska. as far as he's concerned, big red is dead. it's a relic of the 90s and now that we have regional SUPAH POWAHZ like kansas and missouri to contend with this season. in his mind, it'll be amazing if huskers stay in the plus column this season.

it's just espn. the only guy that's said anything good about nebraska is rome and that's because he's been stalkin' his latest man-crush pelini.

Sorry Mark, just because 6-6 is a great season for Pittsburgh doesn't mean it's a good season for Nebraska.

I'd live with a 6-6 season this year but I definitely wouldn't be happy with it. I believe this team has the potential to not only be better than last year - which should be a given- but also better than they were in 2005.

8 wins would be ok, but I expect 9-10 wins and a spot in the B12 title game.

Have to agree with skersfan. Like it or not, we are coming off a 5-7 season. We have a new coaching staff that is relatively unproven. The collapse last year was pretty much total - both players and staff. Our recruiting - while very good given the circumstances - was by no means top notch.

Folks, that's a lot to overcome.

Are the coaches the right ones for the task - possibly. Perhaps even definitely. But can they change the mind-set and the motivation of the team in one off-season? Who knows? I certainly think they will do as much as humanly possible in that regard, but it's all too easy to put forth less than top effort once you get used to slacking off.

Can one off-season correct all the problems with strength and conditioning for all the players? Again, possible - but only if the players buy in to the program not only during the spring, but in the off-season when there are no coaches around. Will every player have the level of motivation? Certainly when Bo has had an opportunity to fully stock the team with his players. But until then, we simply don't know.

Is 6-6 acceptable? Yes and no. Yes, if the team displays the traits we're looking for - effort, heart, the willingness to sacrifice for the team, constant improvement from the begining of the season to the end, a never-say-die attitude. If they show that, and they go 6-6, then they've bought into the culture that is needed, and the issue is aquiring better talent and continuing to develop the talent we have.

No, 6-6 is not acceptable in the sense that we should be "satisfied" - Nebraska not only aspires to a better standing, it demands it.

But like skersfan, show me that the team is improving and giving 100% effort at all times, and record be damned. If we get that, each year will see us climb the ladder back to the Huskers' of old.

Give me that.

if we get those 2 things I honestly dont see how we wont win 7 games. if we would have go that this year we would have won at least one more if not 2. and this years schedule is lot easier

Sorry for the misspelled words, I get in hurry and never spell check. Too many things going on. I will try harder.

I was talking about Mark May, not Bo.

(jgyaht)=Just Giving You A Hard Time.

Not meaning to be nit-picky, just keep hearing commercials on the radio about the importance of catching stroke symptoms early and while I was reading your posts the last few days (And my lips move) I've been slurring.

Truck started me off with his MM=IntellgenSe remark...

I sometimes like Marky May..Just not the character he plays.

It sorta scares me how accurate his predictions about us have been in the past.

Kansas and Missouri will be in the top 10 most likely. Both have Hypsman hopeful QB's. Both return a good portion of what got them there last year. Missouri fans, my son lives near and works in Columbia, actually feel they will be much better than last year.

Who knows, but I just do not buy into this talent load we are suppose to have. Below Texas, Oklahoma and Missouri, most likely Texas Tech. Va Tech is the game that really means something. If we can give them a good game at home and win or at least appear to be in the game then things have changed.

Football requires heart, dedication, loyalty and relentless motivation. These are things we very rarely saw last year for what ever reason. Coaching caused is the current theme. Maybe it was maybe it wasn't. I do not know. What I saw was a large majority of quitters. Can Bo change this? Most likley, but will it be quick enough?

He is doing everything right as far as I am concerned, so I really am not going to be to terribly concerned with wins and losses. 6-6 and in every game with a never say die attitude, give it to me, I can deal with it. I want an attitude change more than I want wins. With the attitude change comes wins.

No way Kansas makes the Top 10, Top 25 maybe, but they lost some of the coaching staff, and I think people will be gunning for them this year, so they are not going to have it as easy as last year. I don't even think they finish in the Top 15. Missouri could be for real this year....I expect them to give everyone they play some trouble....they will be in the Top 10 for sure...hopefully a couple of spots behind us. :clap:corndance

I agree with the Kansas comments. Kansas has a lot tougher schedule this year and as I have said time and time again if Kansas had a tougher schedule last year they would not have even been in contention for a BCS game. They have a mediocre defense and offense. Yes they beat VA Tech, Big deal. It doesnt take much of a defense to beat VATechs offense.

As far as us, I see 8-9 wins this season although 8 seems more plausible. I just don't wanna see us breaking any negative records this year.

Kansas and Missouri will be in the top 10 most likely. Both have Hypsman hopeful QB's. Both return a good portion of what got them there last year. Missouri fans, my son lives near and works in Columbia, actually feel they will be much better than last year.

Who knows, but I just do not buy into this talent load we are suppose to have. Below Texas, Oklahoma and Missouri, most likely Texas Tech. Va Tech is the game that really means something. If we can give them a good game at home and win or at least appear to be in the game then things have changed.

Football requires heart, dedication, loyalty and relentless motivation. These are things we very rarely saw last year for what ever reason. Coaching caused is the current theme. Maybe it was maybe it wasn't. I do not know. What I saw was a large majority of quitters. Can Bo change this? Most likley, but will it be quick enough?

He is doing everything right as far as I am concerned, so I really am not going to be to terribly concerned with wins and losses. 6-6 and in every game with a never say die attitude, give it to me, I can deal with it. I want an attitude change more than I want wins. With the attitude change comes wins.

No way Kansas makes the Top 10, Top 25 maybe, but they lost some of the coaching staff, and I think people will be gunning for them this year, so they are not going to have it as easy as last year. I don't even think they finish in the Top 15. Missouri could be for real this year....I expect them to give everyone they play some trouble....they will be in the Top 10 for sure...hopefully a couple of spots behind us. :clap:corndance

I agree with the Kansas comments. Kansas has a lot tougher schedule this year and as I have said time and time again if Kansas had a tougher schedule last year they would not have even been in contention for a BCS game. They have a mediocre defense and offense. Yes they beat VA Tech, Big deal. It doesnt take much of a defense to beat VATechs offense.

As far as us, I see 8-9 wins this season although 8 seems more plausible. I just don't wanna see us breaking any negative records this year.

This pretty much sums up everyones thinking. Once KU beats a team everyone says "Well, they just weren't any good to begin with". Let me remind you that Virginia Tech was #3 in the BCS when KU beat then. Everyone had V-Tech killing KU. KU's offense deserves some credit guys. They're good. And to say the KU defense is just mediocre is ridiculous! Get off your mom's computer and go back to your room. The adults are having a conversation.

This pretty much sums up everyones thinking. Once KU beats a team everyone says "Well, they just weren't any good to begin with". Let me remind you that Virginia Tech was #3 in the BCS when KU beat then. Everyone had V-Tech killing KU. KU's offense deserves some credit guys. They're good. And to say the KU defense is just mediocre is ridiculous! Get off your mom's computer and go back to your room. The adults are having a conversation.

VT had NO offense... i just wanted to say that first. I dont think anyone disagrees that KU was good (aside from the mediocre part). But the way KU's schedule looks, I don't see them having similar success. UT, OU, TT. Those are the top 3 of the south, it'll be interesting to sit back and just watch this season. KU will be good, not great...Don't let that one season give you a sense of entitlement for anything, because we all know...any given saturday...

After reading the posts in this thread, I wanted to comment on a few of the subjects...

First, the more I read about the Huskers - both on LJS, Omaha.com, disscusion boards, etc - the more I wish it was August 30th.

Second, I believe Mizzou will have another standout season this year. The stars seem to be aligning for them, at least in my opinion. Mizzou's schedule doesn't appear to be all that tough. Texas and Illinois (anyone know how Illinois is expected to do?) could possibly be the two toughest teams they face all year. One could argue that KSU, KU, and perhaps even OSU might be challenging too. It's hard for me to say for sure (but it's fun talking football anyway!), because I haven't seen any of the teams play yet. But, based on last year, I would definitely say Texas and Illinois would be the top challenges.

Along with this schedule, Mizzou also just looks like they will have another solid team this year. Chase is returning to operate the offense, which is obviously a huge part of the offense's success last year. Regardless of whether you like him or not, he is a field general. He knows what makes his offense work, and I also noticed he was almost always able to see what the opposing defense was trying to do to stop the offense, and adjust accordingly (OU is the exception).

Third, I don't think Kansas will have as much luck this year. Their schedule is WAY tougher than it was last season. I look at their schedule and see South Florida and KU giving them some trouble, and then of course they have Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Texas, and Mizzou! I never really thought they had that good of a team last year, it was okay, but I don't think it was as good as their record indicated. With a little tougher schedule this year, I think their record will more accurately portray how good the team is.

The final thing I want to comment on is, of course, the Huskers! Hey, maybe I can add NU to Mizzou & KU's list of tough teams to beat this year. It's really difficult to say right now, and unfortunately the Spring Game won't help determine how good our team will be this year. The first 3 non-conference games appear to be wins, but after almost losing to some non-conference teams last season, I can't say they are "for sure" wins. I am still pretty confident that we will be 3-0 by the time VT game rolls around.

From there, it's difficult to say. I will assume that we will have a better team than last year. So, if NU has an average team, I would say the Huskers beat ISU, Baylor, Kansas, and Kansas State (final season record: 7-5). If NU has an above average team, I would also add VT, Missouri (we face them at Memorial) and perhaps TT to the Husker's victim list (final season record: 10-2...with the OU game being close).

Again, it's tough to say how NU will do. Have to see them against an actual opponent (not just against themselves), but I just had to comment because I am in football withdrawal.

I said the entire year last year that Kansas didn't impress me. They had a VERY weak schedule. Also buddy, tell me of ONE game where Kansas's defense held a GOOD offense to a minimum. I can't think of one. If Kansas had this years schedule last year then they would have NOT gotten to a BCS game.

BTW, It's VA Techs defense that kept them in the running last year. Thier offense was about as good as Nebraska's defense. Obviously you missed half the season last year, which in turn makes it pointless to argue with you. If Kansas comes out this year and pulls an 11 win season out then hey maybe I'll give them more credit but as of right now, I dont see anything more than a 8-9 win season. Just like Nebraska.

Wait for it...

Wait for it......

If the last guy was almost burned at the stake for going 5-6 and 5-7, I'd say 6-6 isn't much better and probably isn't acceptable either. Hopefully Pelini has higher goals or an ear to the ground for a job with lower expectations.

I'm not 100% positive, but I think it was in Bo's spring press conference were he said "I told the players if you don't beleive we can win every game this year then you don't belong on this team."

I'd say he has a little higher goal then 6-6. :woo

I'll steal what Bo had to say but I'll re-word it......here it goes

"If you don't believe that we can win every game this year then you don't belong on this message board!"

I'm sorry for being rude but I believe in this team and that's what this team needs from its fans is to believe in them. If we have confidence in them and they'll have confidence in themselves knowning that we believe in them. If we're pumped up cheering, they'll be pumped up ready to play. Lets light a fire under their a$$es and lets get our team PUMPED UP.

GO BIG RED

You guys need to go back and see what Nebraska has done on the field. He is normally pretty spot on with his predictions. He may or may not like Nebraska, but he calls a spade a spade.

He and Kirk both have stated that Pelini was a great hire and that he should return us to where we once were. But some on here drink so much cool aid they can not see anywhere near the truth. The truth hurts guys and my guess is we will be a lot closer to 6-6 than we are 12-0.

Anyone not thinking that Bo is a god, with a realistic eye, and no giant life long love for Nebraska would guess about 6-6 is where we are at.

We could do better, I doubt worse. He has always questioned our talent, and some of us still do to. I think we have a coach that is going to make a difference, but if some said you have to pick between 12-0 or 6-6 or you lose your house, my guess is 6-6 is where I would put my money.

National Champions, 12-0, Lucky for Hypsman. 5-7 is reality, the rest is pie in the sky. Play the games, then talk. What we know for fact is we, do not have a proven QB, a to the house running back. A prove reciever, a tigh end a O line. We do not have a prove Dline, our best linebacker just became one. Think about what you are saying. If you heard a KState fan or Colorado fan say these things you would be balistic. Wishiing hoping and wanting are not going to get it done. We have proven players that have not gotten it done. What makes all so certain they can flip a switch and be All Americans this year.

8-4 is as good as it is going to get this year is my guess, and I will be damned happy with it.

Whew, glad someone finally posted a voice of reason. Seems too many people are wearing rose colored glasses. This has me really concerned for next year, I really hope fans keep their expectations realistic. Yes, I can see us doing much better than 6-6, but my god look at the facts people. There are far to many question marks surrounding a lot of positions. It seems like everyone has this expectation that we are going to go from an almost dead last defenese to the top 5 in one year. Sorry it's just not going to happen. I know Cosgrove was an idiot, there's no denying it, but his influence alone did not cause us to have the worst defense in school history. When you have a d-line that can barely create 10 sacks as a unit(a number an all american often gets all by himself) in one season, you have a big big problem. It doesn't matter how good your secondary is when the quarterback is sitting back with all day to throw. I truly believe the defensive unit will be improved, but we have to keep our expectations in check. I'm sure Pelini himself would be happy with a top 50 defense next year. Of course his goal is to make them the best D in the country next year, but he knows it doesn't happen over night.