So...should we have fired Solich?

I think hindsight is 20/20. At the time, people were not very happy with the state of things, and Nebraska fans still hadn't accepted that the college football landscape was different and the domination of the 90's was something that could never happen again. Somehow we made it through a 7-7 season without complete turmoil and uproar, but only now, after the debacle of the last coaching staff, do we realize what should/could have happened.

I think the way he was fired was bad. 9-3 season isn't good enough? I think that's a very decent record, and I do believe he started trying to change things when they weren't working (i.e., going to more of a spread option, hiring Pelini to take over defense...just to name a few) unlike certain other coaches.

But I would definitely say no, we should not have fired him. Steve seemed to have no game plan on what type of coach he was looking for, and out of desperation he settled on Callahan. The whole process was a complete joke, and was handled horribly by Steve. Bad, bad, BAD!

I think you're beating a dead horse here. I think you should have asked a different question such as do you think how TO and Pelini are conducting themselves is a way to kind of stick it in the eye of the previous coaching staff and AD? Pelini seems to continue to bring up Solich's name. Is this because he's urged to do so by TO, or does he do it to kind of stick one to BC and Pud for the token interview he received?

I think you're beating a dead horse here. I think you should have asked a different question such as do you think how TO and Pelini are conducting themselves is a way to kind of stick it in the eye of the previous coaching staff and AD? Pelini seems to continue to bring up Solich's name. Is this because he's urged to do so by TO, or does he do it to kind of stick one to BC and Pud for the token interview he received?

(paraphrased)

"No, 'cause most of the time it's brought up by other people, and if people want my opinion on something, I'm gonna tell them. I know I wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for Frank Solich. For the opportunity he gave me to get back into college football, and uh...so if people don't like that, tough."

I don't mind the discussion. What else do we have to talk about?

No. Frank made the necessary changes to try and keep NU at the top. I still believe that if Frank had not been fired, NU would have played in a few more Big XII Championship games plus a couple BCS bowl games too. Our three losses in 2003 were not pretty, but it was Pelini's first year back in the college game and I have no doubt that the next year our defense would have been even better.