ESPN has Five burning questions for the Cornhuskers

Just what are you guys arguing. I am not certain.

You truly feel we will play with all these guys just because Pelini is here?

Kansas is good, period. They have given us all we could ask for for a few years. Missouri had our number last year, trust me Oklahoma will this year, and my guess is VaTech will be tough. I think Texas Tech blows us out of the water big time. But who knows.

We face 5 top 15 programs, do you all agree with that?

When was the last time we beat a top 15 program? How do you think a team that was last or near last in defense can turn so far around. It is not just coaching guys. There are talent despairties there no matter how much we want to believe it not to be.

It just isn't going to happen.

7-5 if we get by Colorado. VaTech a loss, Missouri a loss, Oklahoma a arse beating, Texas Tech, oh my god I do not even want to think about that one, Kansas, a good game, but most likely a loss.

As stated before, Pelini could not beat a talented team when he was here before, and I turly believe he had a boat load more talent than he has now. He was not dealing with a team that quit. And he only faced two that were better and lost to one that was not. NO way he wins against Texas Tech and Oklahoma, and most likely Missouri. Kansas and VaTech are possible I think.

I sure hope I am wrong on this.

Kansas is good, period. They have given us all we could ask for for a few years. Missouri had our number last year, trust me Oklahoma will this year, and my guess is VaTech will be tough. I think Texas Tech blows us out of the water big time. But who knows.

When was the last time we beat a top 15 program? How do you think a team that was last or near last in defense can turn so far around. It is not just coaching guys. There are talent despairties there no matter how much we want to believe it not to be.

7-5 if we get by Colorado. VaTech a loss, Missouri a loss, Oklahoma a arse beating, Texas Tech, oh my god I do not even want to think about that one, Kansas, a good game, but most likely a loss.

As stated before, Pelini could not beat a talented team when he was here before, and I turly believe he had a boat load more talent than he has now. He was not dealing with a team that quit. And he only faced two that were better and lost to one that was not. NO way he wins against Texas Tech and Oklahoma, and most likely Missouri. Kansas and VaTech are possible I think.

pelini is not the same coach. there is nothing to prove he had more talent last time. absolutely nothing. I have posted numerous times the stats of our "stars" from that team the year before. not one of them had a great year. none. so you are going totally on conjecture here.

you know I could go on and on and rip that post up but this is getting old. you clearly think that there is no talent here and that there is no way we can turn this around to being competitive(even though it happens in every sport, every year, everywhere) thank goodness the games are starting so we dont have to listen to it every time some one suggest that we can COMPETE with certain teams

I'm definitely worried more about Oklahoma and Missouri than Texas Tech.

But 7 or 8 wins is reasonable.

You have brought up some good points but back in 2003 Pelini was in his first year in the College system. Yes we did lose to some tough competition back then but we did lose to some really good teams in 03'.

I think that Bo has had some more experience with College ball and has a better understanding on what it takes to win big games in College. I don't think that Callahan could even beat a really good team in the Pros like he proved in College Ball. Pelini has worked with the best and he's proven to the Country that he can win the big games and thats why he has a ring around his finger.

I have a lot of faith in Pelini that he'll take us to the promise land.

3. Who will emerge at I-back? The Cornhuskers have some of the best depth in the conference with Big 12 returning rushing leader Marlon Lucky sharing his No. 1 position with Roy Helu and Quentin Castille. Offensive coordinator Shawn Watson has called Lucky his starter, but watch for Helu and Castille to also get a lot of early work.

How is this year any different than the years following Cory Ross? Marlon Lucky, Brandon Jackson, Kenny Wilson, Cody Glenn, Quentin Castille....1, 2, even 3 backs have seen major carries over another every season under Callahan/Watson.

this is the 3rd quarter...9 passing attempts, 3 rushing.

Nebraska at 14:51 NEB COL

3rd and 2 at NEB 19 Nebraska penalty 5 yard substitution infraction accepted.

3rd and 7 at NEB 14 Nebraska penalty 5 yard delay of game accepted.

3rd and 12 at NEB 9 Joe Ganz pass intercepted by Jimmy Smith at the Neb 31, returned for 31 yards for a TOUCHDOWN. 35 30

Nebraska at 10:26 NEB COL

1st and 10 at NEB 36 Joe Ganz pass intercepted by Lionel Harris at the Colo 45, returned for 32 yards to the Neb 33, tackled by Nate Swift and Marlon Lucky, Colorado penalty 10 yard holding accepted. 35 31

Nebraska at 8:10 NEB COL

2nd and 10 at NEB 39 Nebraska penalty 5 yard false start accepted.

2nd and 15 at NEB 34 Joe Ganz pass incomplete to Nate Swift.

3rd and 15 at NEB 34 Joe Ganz pass complete to Terrence Nunn for 13 yards to the Neb 47.

4th and 2 at NEB 47 Dan Titchener punt blocked for no gain, recovered by Jordon Dizon and advanced 5 yards.

Not to get into the fighting, but there is some of this that bugs the hell out of me. 3rd & 2 inside our own 20 and we get 2 personel / coaching penalties (illegal sub. & delay of game). Then it's 3rd & 12 from our own 9. You never want to get picked off, but the pass was intercepted at the 31, thrown from the shadow of the goalline on 3rd & 12. That kind of ball is going to be in the air for a long time and CU should have been running a dime package. Run a 15 yd out or curl and just move the damn chains!!!

Then penalty, incomplete, short of the marker, blocked punt???? Yes "the team is functioning well in all areas. CU was really handing it to us today!" Such crap! Man am I glad the regime changed! :rant

:koolaid2:

Where does all this "no talent" talk come from? If Callahan did one thing well, it was recruit. He got a LOT of talented players here and that talent didn't dissappear overnight just because the team quit. THAT was the problem with last year's team, NOT a lack of talent. Yes, they quit and you said it - Pelini wasn't dealing with a team that quit the last time he was here and he won't be this year - BECAUSE HE WON'T LET THEM!!! I wouldn't expect a top ten defense, but I think we'll all be a bit shocked by the improvement. Remember, he took a #52 defense to #11 (or thereabouts) the last time he took over for an incompetent DC.

And remember also, Nebraska beat both KU and Mizzou just two short years ago. And I truly believe they outplayed OU in the Big XII title game that year. How much of these teams are the same this year as then? Don't think the talent advantage has swung so enormously in those two years. Nebraka's fallen behind, but not by as much as last year's results would indicate.

Kansas had the top defense in the Big 12, #10 in nation, and return 6-8 starters, including all 3 lbs. when did they get worse than Missouri?

3 pounds? Bunch of lightweights!

huKSer way to lighten up the mood. :)

but i think pelini will do great things i hope he will be like tom osborne because when Devaney was here we had consecutive 9 win seasons than came osborne then came solich then we all know who now it's pelini's turn to screw our head's on straight. It won't be this season maybe 3 or maybe 4 years when he has his chance to get his recruits, that's when we will see big improvements.

i am EXCITED for saturday

Of the defensive talent we have, who do you see as pro potential. Dillard? most likely, but after that I do not see anyone I would say will be drafted. Things could change with proper coaching, but as stated not enough time.

I have said my thoughts on BC's recruiting, most that we got were not taken by the top teams. We did not fight them away from SC, Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio State, Florida, LSU, Georgia. They ended up here because those programs passed on them for some reason.

They were sold to Nebraska as a short trip to the pros, learn how to be a pro at Nebraska. This brings question of heart to the for front in my mind. We had a whole team quit last year, and I still believe what I was taught in Junior High. Once a quitter always a quitter. Quitters never win, Winners never quit. I am 61 years old and I have seen that come to fruition damned near every time. I deal with Olympic and World Class athletes on a regular basis. I have seen the affects of quitting one time, and how easy it is to do it again when the going gets tough.

We got above average talent, with less than stellar character in a lot of his recruits. I have said that since day one. His top recruits, other than Lucky have walked away and never made an impact where they went. What makes us think that the ones that happened to stay do not have the same ideas.

This is going to be a tough year I am afraid. But a good year no matter the win loss situation. If the kids come around and buy into what Coach Pelini is selling we will have an above average year. I they don't we will have a lot of youth starting and learning, but they will be the ones that want it more.

I honestly have no problems with what ever the win loss toll is. I just want to see Nebraska football. Bo will bring that back, I just do not see it happening to the level a lot of you do. No more Pixie dust for me.

Of the defensive talent we have, who do you see as pro potential. Dillard? most likely, but after that I do not see anyone I would say will be drafted. Things could change with proper coaching, but as stated not enough time.

I have said my thoughts on BC's recruiting, most that we got were not taken by the top teams. We did not fight them away from SC, Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio State, Florida, LSU, Georgia. They ended up here because those programs passed on them for some reason.

They were sold to Nebraska as a short trip to the pros, learn how to be a pro at Nebraska. This brings question of heart to the for front in my mind. We had a whole team quit last year, and I still believe what I was taught in Junior High. Once a quitter always a quitter. Quitters never win, Winners never quit. I am 61 years old and I have seen that come to fruition damned near every time. I deal with Olympic and World Class athletes on a regular basis. I have seen the affects of quitting one time, and how easy it is to do it again when the going gets tough.

We got above average talent, with less than stellar character in a lot of his recruits. I have said that since day one. His top recruits, other than Lucky have walked away and never made an impact where they went. What makes us think that the ones that happened to stay do not have the same ideas.

This is going to be a tough year I am afraid. But a good year no matter the win loss situation. If the kids come around and buy into what Coach Pelini is selling we will have an above average year. I they don't we will have a lot of youth starting and learning, but they will be the ones that want it more.

I honestly have no problems with what ever the win loss toll is. I just want to see Nebraska football. Bo will bring that back, I just do not see it happening to the level a lot of you do. No more Pixie dust for me.

I am curious to see Barry Turner this year. He could turn around from last year and possibly NFL worthy by the end of this season, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

Well, Ali Highsmith went undrafted but he looked pretty good as a college player in Bo's D last year. (Of course that was with 3 or 4 years of instruction.)

Suh looks like a draft prospect. As does Murillo. Turner has potential and could get there. Same with Potter. Asante might be the next Bullock (either one) and they were both drafted. I haven't seen enough of Thenarse and Culbert or any of the underclassmen. So I'd expect Dillard, Suh, and Murillo to get drafted (probably not in the first 2 rounds). And then maybe Turner, Potter, and Asante.

In 2003, we lost to some very good teams. Texass has always had our number. They made TO even look like a bad coach. KState more than likely would have played for the NC and maybe even won had it not been for an injury to Roberson in earlier in their season. Mizzou had arguably the best player to ever strap it up in college football. It's a shame the Pinkel factor had to castarate him. As far as Suh tailing off towards the end of the season, what about when a back-up freshman center owned him at the beginning of the season? For us to have success, the offense needs to keep the defense off the field as long as possible. The defense needs to get mean again instead of playing passive as they did all last year.