What if?

Here is one for everyone and maybe this has already been covered but I haven't been around lately so I want to know.

What if Pelini and staff fall on their faces and we never recover from what started in Boulder in 01? What if we come out this year and drop a big turd and finish 5-7 or worse? What if Ganz doesn't light it up like he did last year? Will people be calling for Witt? What if 4 years from now we are still sitting in the middle of the pack in the North? Will the people be calling for Pelini's head?

Do I think any of this will happen? Not a chance but at the end of the day not one single person knows what to expect from this team or this staff and I for one hate that feeling. The Big Red homer in me says 14-0 but you never can tell and I just hope that this whole Happy Days Are Here Again feeling that is flying around Husker Nation doesn't come back to bite us in the arse. I like to think we will be like OU and USC and recover nicely from the down years, however there is a chance we spin around in circles like Alabama, FSU as of late, The Domers and Miami.

Hurry up and play the freaking game already so I have something to go off of.

It's a possibility (6 is far more likely than 5, imo). A lot of fans will be pretty disappointed, but most are probably rational enough to realize you need to give a coach 4 or 5 years to really see where the program will be headed under him. It would be rough, but I doubt anyone worth listening to would be calling for his head.

If we should lose, I don't think it will be from laying down and dying like we did the last few years. I think Nebraska could handle a 6 win season if the Cornhuskers play their hearts out. The 5-6 2007 team played with no heart or direction. They didn't have any identity of who the were. Pelini is etching what it means to play for Nebraska in the minds of the players. It is almost like the problem with the 2007 team didn't have to do with not being prepared, but rather that they were prepared to lose or at least had the mind set in some games that they were already beaten. Pelini should have Nebraska back on the right track. And given time, it will be a dominating program once again.

Yeah, and I think the possibility of the Huskers never recovering is basically zero. A better question might be, "What happens if we don't see instant success or large jumps in improvement?" In other words, what happens if it takes 4, 5, or more years of slow progress until Nebraska is back to even winning 9 games a season consistently?

Here is one for everyone and maybe this has already been covered but I haven't been around lately so I want to know.

What if Pelini and staff fall on their faces and we never recover from what started in Boulder in 01? What if we come out this year and drop a big turd and finish 5-7 or worse? What if Ganz doesn't light it up like he did last year? Will people be calling for Witt? What if 4 years from now we are still sitting in the middle of the pack in the North? Will the people be calling for Pelini's head?

if that happens, we must call on the ninja: NinjaDissapear.gif

if that happens, we must call on the ninja: NinjaDissapear.gif

i second that

Newearthhusker: Put the spliff down, I think paranoia is setting in.

Not. Gonna. Happen.

Hearing too many good things to think we wouldn't recover- and it's not just spiffy catch phrases, like "We take what we want."

Hearing things like, "we're rejuvenated," "he's got that 'IT' ," and "this was exactly the right move," and former players under the Bobfather saying, "He reminds me of Devaney."

And... AND... T.O. AS AD...! T.O., people... The same Oz-burn whom Skippy Neuheisel called the master play caller on 3rd down. Don't think TO hasn't put his two cents in for gameplanning for Saturday.

Former Blackshirts on the sidelines from Aug. 30 to ever after... How can we not recover???

C'mon... I'm nearly soiling myself in anticipation.

Meh I think we recovered once already from that Colorado game, I just don't see that game quite the way everyone else does I guess.

Also, I don't think the other teams you mentioned will be going in circles forever. Hell, I'm no Saban fan but I guarantee Alabama will be back in the picture again. And FSU will have to put together a halfway decent season at some point for Bowden to retire.

If the current staff falls flat on their faces, i don't think it will go beyond this year, but even then, someday, someone will come along...

We haven’t won a Conference Title since 99 (how many has OU won in that same time frame?) and have only won the North (ISU even did that) once in that same span and that year we still ended up with 5 losses and unranked. We have only beaten 4 teams (yes that is correct) that were ranked (24th, 23rd, 20th, 24th respectively) since Colorado beat us around. So when did we recover from that drubbing? Was it in 03 when we beat Ranked OSU the 1st game of the year and then didn’t beat anybody worth a crap, plus got embarrassed in our losses and ended the year 18-19th? Was it the “Restore the Order” year had 4 losses and ended up being ranked 24th? Or was it the 9-5 season when granted we lost to 4 teams in the Top 10 and won the North but we still finished unranked. Until we are in the Top 10 back to back years with quality wins and at least 1 Conference crown we haven’t fully recovered. IMO

I kind of liken our current situation to the state of our great nation. All these people are calling for Obama and saying how great it is going to be under his leadership. However there is just as much reason to believe things won’t get better and there is the chance they could get worse (In the case of our FB team I don’t know if it can get worse than last year) and I don't think people want to admit that.

I guess what I’m saying is at the end of the day I hate sitting here with all this grey area and I want Saturday to get here so I can get a feel for what is going on. Even though the true test is Va Tech and that is a freaking month away.

Unfortunately I forgot my crystal ball at home today and without it there is no way to tell if Pelini is the guy, however I think his odds are better than that other ass clown we had last year. Remember we are a monster program, most monster programs go through some dips but always recover. We were on top for 40 yrs, what we are experienceing was bound to happen. Most of the schools that were dominant in the 90's are now recovering (miami, fsu, psu) its not just us that is going through these growing pains. It takes time and patience from the fans. Hell, look how long we gave TO and I think that paid dividends, granted he was winning tons of games just not the big ones.

My prediction: Pelini has a better than average chance at success. We are two coaches removed from TO which will make it a little easier.