Mizzou Spread,Unfair Advantage?

hskerprid

As other poster's have mentioned, there are disadvantages to the QB lining up so in punt formation. My guess is that there will be one team that figures out a very good way of combatting that problem and then other teams will follow suit and Missou will have to adjust.

See "Oklahoma Sooners"

Yep, worked great against West Virginia's spread and TT spread.

Why is it unfair? If they put 11 guys on the field, and we put 11 guys on the field, I call that pretty even...we just need to adjust. And we will, we have good minds on this coaching staff. I have a lot of faith in our ability to make half-time adjustments as needed now, which is something BC had no clue about. Hopefully we will have a pretty good game plan going in the first half, though.

I don't know if that would work, but I am confident that some defensive coordinator (or perhaps a former DC who is now a head coach) will figure out the answer to this problem. Every gimmick offense gets figured out sooner or later and eventually becomes obsolete......as it should be. :clap

Note to Bo Pelini:

Kick the living crap out of the Missouri center every chance you get. Once he's out of the game I can almost assure you the next one isn't gonna be so good at those long snaps....

We think so alike Cy! Dump on the center for a quarter or so and he'll start to flinch. How's things in Clone land and thanks for giving SD State a big pay day.

T_O_B

If you are back farther, that is farther you are throwing the ball, more time for the defense to react, too. Also, a deep shotgun gives you an easy angle at defensive end, or whoever is coming off the edge to rush. Has to be harder to snap that deep too, so why not have someone coming hard right up the gut?

My only question is do the ref's extend their idea of the "box" that you need to be out of to throw it away when in the shotgun? I wish that rule never made it to college. What will be funny is if we play Mizzou and it turns into a defensive slugfest, everyone will be scratching their heads then.

Yeah - I can't remember, is their OL with 3 yd splits like TT? In a tight formation the QB would need to run laterally 4 yds or so. Spread - 8 yds-ish.

Rember when wishbone was trouble for the whole game? No team what"s it now,right?

Defense coach get"s paid to figure out, and off. coach get"s same deal to trick def.

back-forth it can go. i can bet 10 year from now people may think spread is thing to put on biscuit.

:moreinteresting

I may say now I might upgarde TAR to TAH, which can mean Tuff AS Huricane. I can have some time nect week on that for this best GBR web.

Plus also good GBR start to get back on that pikle: :nanalama What"s nect team?

I been busy, so not much webing time.

TuffTiger

Well said, TuffTiger... well said.

As other poster's have mentioned, there are disadvantages to the QB lining up so in punt formation. My guess is that there will be one team that figures out a very good way of combatting that problem and then other teams will follow suit and Missou will have to adjust.

See "Oklahoma Sooners"

Yep, worked great against West Virginia's spread and TT spread.

3 teams, 3 different spreads. The term spread is so meaningless right now. MU uses a lot more movement from the QB, and the line uses more or less normal splits. TT the QB is a pure pocket guy, and the o line uses very wide splits. And WVU is a run spread, where the passes are mostly out of the read option.

Copy editor for the AP

:clap

I'm proud to say I'm 100% fluent in TuffTiger.

Not sure if that is good or bad, but whatever. <_<

So why does he consistently spell "next" with a "c"?

If it was the fat finger excuse, I can't imagine it would occur that often.

And

Anyone remember the "I" formation?

Almost seemed unfair to have the back see the play unfold and be able to get a running head start. (Or was he always running downhill?)

Wasn't Spurrier's "Fun & Gun" offense, for the most part, the spread? Granted it was a different team, but it was held to 24 points.

I know there is going to have to be a ton of game planning on how to stop it, but I think it can be done. Bo is a good enough defensive mind that i'm sure there are scheme's and different packages that can be put together to cause them problems.

What it boils down to is being able to recognize the situations, and adjust the defense accordingly.