IS IT ME OR WHAT?

OLDMAN

I see what your saying.

However I do like watching the spread when it is ran well like Tech, Mizzzou, or the Spread Option like WV,Florida is fun to watch as well. I also enjoy watching USC ran a Pro Style balanced attack and OU run out of multiple sets. I loved watching NU's offense last year when they knew that no matter what it was going to be a shoot-out KSU, CU, and KU (hated watching the defense though) I guess what I'm saying is I like watching good offenses no matter what they do.

For the record the SJSU game wasn't a good game for good offense. So I didn't enjoy that.

What bores me is offenses like Ohio State or a lot of the Big Ten schools except Illinois and maybe Michigan State.

I thought I was the only one who thought Ohio State and Big 10/11 games were extremely boring. They are just no fun.

So spread/"multiple" offenses bore you? (Of course, Purdue and Northwestern were doing this years ago):

I am somewhat concerned about the growing trend of spread and no-huddle offenses sweeping the nation. Seems as this could be the wave of the future, and traditional offenses such as what OSU runs leaves them behind. Might this be something that Jim Tressel needs to integrate into the offense in order to be competitive in games against the SEC and Big 12 powers? -- John Tibaldi, Wickliffe, Ohio

Hey, John: There would be reason to worry, if Ohio State ran a traditional offense. Nine of the 11 Big Ten teams run some form of the spread at least some of the time, and Ohio State is included in that group. The Buckeyes have worked on a modified version of the shotgun, might have two tailbacks in a formation together at times, still like running out of the I with Beanie Wells and also, with seven receivers they trust, could go five wide at times.

As one of the Buckeye Planet guys put it:

Pure zone read option teams

UM

Illinois

PSU

Indiana

Run first spread

Northwestern

MSU :dunno

Pass happy dink and dunk spread

Purdue

Minny

Pro style or teams that still have full backs

OSU (more spread to come when once Pryor start)

Wisc

Iowa (they didn't really have an offense last year)

So I guess OLDMAN is right. The spread is boring.

I think the object of the game is to put the ball in the endzone, regardless of HOW you manage to do it. Yeah, I dont care for the Boise St school of thought of passing it 80 times a game, but it works for them. It is the trend in CFB to be able to move the ball quickly and hope your opponent doesn't score. Teams are more focused on the "home run ball". There is not alot of lockdown defenses anymore, emphaise is on scoring.

Plus, chics dig the long ball......

"It's not how long your ball is...it's how you use it"

And we Cyclone fans refer to the Iowa offense as the "Possum"....Plays dead at home and gets killed on the road.

:rollin:rollin:rollin

I haven't watched any of the games since they are PAY PER VIEW.

But I do watch husker highlites on tuesdays with that dork of an announcer.

I personally don't think that the PRODUCT which is cornhusker football is WORTH the price right now.

I want to see a action/adventure and not a COMEDY.

Hahaha, teams that still have fullbacks.

Hm, for a pro-style team...we don't use the fullback much, do we? How often are the fullbacks on the field for snaps (I don't know, I rarely get to watch the games any more).

Do we operate mostly out of the single-back (but with many tight ends?)

And we Cyclone fans refer to the Iowa offense as the "Possum"....Plays dead at home and gets killed on the road.

I personally don't think that the PRODUCT which is cornhusker football is WORTH the price right now.

In myyyy day you paid the man 4 bits ta' watch the football through that lookin' knot hole! You could only see plays from the 30 yard line in! But we didn't care and we liked it! You young whipper snappers with you's hula hoops and slinkies and fancy pants passing whyyyyyyyyy..... And if that football resembled anything like a comedy they got a strap a taken to em....... :wacko:

In myyyy day you paid the man 4 bits ta' watch the football through that lookin' knot hole! You could only see plays from the 30 yard line in! But we didn't care and we liked it! You young whipper snappers with you's hula hoops and slinkies and fancy pants passing whyyyyyyyyy..... And if that football resembled anything like a comedy they got a strap a taken to em....... :wacko:

"So there was this one time, I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say. Now where was I? Oh, yeah — the important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...."

grandpa_simpson.jpg

entertaining thread, but I am not as impressed with the "modern" spread and west coast as I am with the old running game. That is what football is really about and what it was made for.

I still dont buy in to what ESPN or other talking head types have to say. the triple option attack will still work. Defense may be faster than they used to be, but so are offenses. It is also just good football strategy...sooooo many ways to run the ball, it really keeps the D guessing and wears them down, but I dont need to tell huskerfans that.

entertaining thread, but I am not as impressed with the "modern" spread and west coast as I am with the old running game. That is what football is really about and what it was made for.

So does this mean you aren't impressed with KU's offense? Just wondering. :dunno

Things change over time, will teams go back to the power game sometime? Who knows but now teams spread everyone out to even the playing field and to get as much speed on the field as possible.

This question isn't directed at anyone, I would like to know what kind of offense people think USC runs. If you ask me that is about as fun to watch as any offense in College Football right now.

I can sense many of you HuSKeR FAnS are really preteen boys locked up in your rooms surrounded by posters of your favorite husker players.

Gawd very few of you remember Clint Eastwood and the "Dead Pool"?

And even a few don't remember Penn St as a national power?

Go back to eating your fruit loops babies!

That's enough.

What's the matter, Dave? Apparantly it's okay for all these guys to trash Oldman, but he can't talk back? Is it just because you didn't agree with him?

By the way, Oldman is right...our linemen were recruited as pass blockers. That is how they have been coached and have played for their whole football careers. Run blocking is a whole different set of techniques, and is often better performed by different body types. Just becausse they have "been taught" doesn't mean they can perform as if they have been though 10,000 snaps.

It's okay, Oldman. I'm old, too. Probably have watched more Nebraska football than 25 of these guys put together. Remember Devaney's (he was coach before Osborne, for you kids who don't remember a President before Clinton) first game. I prefer the running game, also.

I see what your saying.

However I do like watching the spread when it is ran well like Tech, Mizzzou, or the Spread Option like WV,Florida is fun to watch as well. I also enjoy watching USC ran a Pro Style balanced attack and OU run out of multiple sets. I loved watching NU's offense last year when they knew that no matter what it was going to be a shoot-out KSU, CU, and KU (hated watching the defense though) I guess what I'm saying is I like watching good offenses no matter what they do.

For the record the SJSU game wasn't a good game for good offense. So I didn't enjoy that.

What bores me is offenses like Ohio State or a lot of the Big Ten schools except Illinois and maybe Michigan State.

I thought I was the only one who thought Ohio State and Big 10/11 games were extremely boring. They are just no fun.

So spread/"multiple" offenses bore you? (Of course, Purdue and Northwestern were doing this years ago):

I am somewhat concerned about the growing trend of spread and no-huddle offenses sweeping the nation. Seems as this could be the wave of the future, and traditional offenses such as what OSU runs leaves them behind. Might this be something that Jim Tressel needs to integrate into the offense in order to be competitive in games against the SEC and Big 12 powers? -- John Tibaldi, Wickliffe, Ohio

Hey, John: There would be reason to worry, if Ohio State ran a traditional offense. Nine of the 11 Big Ten teams run some form of the spread at least some of the time, and Ohio State is included in that group. The Buckeyes have worked on a modified version of the shotgun, might have two tailbacks in a formation together at times, still like running out of the I with Beanie Wells and also, with seven receivers they trust, could go five wide at times.

As one of the Buckeye Planet guys put it:

Pure zone read option teams

UM

Illinois

PSU

Indiana

Run first spread

Northwestern

MSU :dunno

Pass happy dink and dunk spread

Purdue

Minny

Pro style or teams that still have full backs

OSU (more spread to come when once Pryor start)

Wisc

Iowa (they didn't really have an offense last year)

So I guess OLDMAN is right. The spread is boring.

I don't understand a word you just said. :dunno

I don't care what anyone says watching an OSU and most of the Big 10 games is one of the worst things in the world. If I wanted to see that boring of an offense I would watch the NFL.IMO Although I will watch OSU when Pryor plays more.

If you want to see a really good comedy go to a 'talkie' sometime, hillarious.

So you are being critical of a team, wait, my bad, a 'product' and you haven't watched them play a single game? I usually respect everyone's own personal oppinion whether I agree or not, but....write this down because it's pretty important.....HAVE SOMETHING TO BASE IT ON.

Oh, and I checked, you're right Penn State WAS a national power, goddsakes they won back to back National Championships in 1911 and 1912, the hell was I thinking.

Showing a lack of respect for one of the most respected programs in the country seems childish.

Anyone that is terribly impressed with what Nebraska has put on the field at this time is living in la la land.

We are a lower level program folks, not worthy of high praise at this time. If someone does not want to spend money on watching a average to below average game it is their right

We have fans calling for the head of Cotton, that in a sense is calling for the the head of the guy that hired him, after two games. Never thinking that it could be a talent problem, only a coaching problem.

Thinking that we have some huge talent base that will rise up and win 12 games this year is a reach. Only the most sheltered fans could think that.

Wanting to see Nebraska football is what I think Oldman was saying. Seeing the game played like we used to play it was a beautiful thing. Maybe more to what we did, not basketball on grass.

Every fan has their right to disagree, but no one has the right to be disresectful to another poster. Some of your posts are bordering on that

I know all of us are on edge, or at least most. Some bought in hook line and sinker that this was going to be a BCS type team. Some of us did not. It hurts when the cupcakes give us a little better game than we thought. In honesty we are just about what I thought we would be at this time. Three weeks we will know what is under the hood. VaTech lost by 5 points to a very good ECU team. Maybe a lot better than most think. VaTech showed better than a West Virginia team that was ranked a lot higher. We have our work cut out for us. Some are just trying to prepare us for the reality of what we have.

The question is can some of you handle three straight losses. I know I can, because I feel we are not as good as the three opponents we must face. I do not feel the talent is there to win those games. But the real question is can the coaching staff do a better job than the previous one and keep thier heads up and move forward with the season. I think Bo can, but he is going to need the fans help on this and a lot more than we gave the past staff. These kids get down on themseleves it is going to be a rough season.

Fighting between ourselves leads to booing the team. Let's nip this in the bud and promise to be great Nebraska fans, even if we are not seeing what we want.