Patience Please

mwj98

It's amazing to me how folks are already throwing in the towel. I have read numerous posts on how all these "armchair quarterbacks" would make adjustments. Give me a break. Hindsight is 20/20.

Here is the reality of Nebraska football......

We are down and will be for a year or two.

We don't have the talent right now to handle Mizzou, Tech and OU. We just don't.

The Defense was getting shredded last year similar to what I have seen this year. But, we are playing hard.

What we need to do is support this team no matter what. We have had a tough 4-5 years with Callahan. I still get fired up thinking how they ruined this program. But, we have to move on.

To sit there and try and place blame, is pointless. We DON'T HAVE THE TALENT!!! I don't believe Mizzou has a good program. They have a good team right now. They will have their moment in the sun and then fade back into mediocrity. I remember Colorado winning the National Championship. They hadn't done sh*t since!!!

Support the team. Quit complaining like you know football inside and out. And throw the bones!!! :bonez

Enough said.

I agree that we need to be patient. There is some talent, but our line play on both sides is what needs to be fixed. On O, we can not run the ball. That results in Ganz having to carry too much of the burden. 3 and outs put the D right back on the field. We lack a D line capable of stopping the run and pressuring the QB. That is not a recipe for an elite team. Nebraska was declining under Solich. In 2002, they posted a 7-7 record. 2003 on the surface looked good (10-3), but the three loses were glaring (Missouri L 24-41, Texas L 7-31,Kansas State L 9-38). Callahan changed the culture, but not in a positive direction. I was not impressed with their ability to develop players. That lack of development continues to impact the program. Bo is a good coach. His track record is impressive, but it will take some time to rebuild the program. I ask all fans to support the Huskers. They are playing their butts off for you, the university, the state and themselves. I'm not seeing a team that quits. Now more than ever, Husker fans have to do what they can to support the program. There is such a great tradition at Nebraska that others schools just do not possess. Besides the on the field success, the fan base is well known and respected for how they behave. That's all that I have for now. Gooooooo Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig Redddd! GO BIG RED!!!

I think saying this team will be back to prominence in 2-3 years is optimistic. First thing that is needed is to stockpile talented studs, which is lacking on both lines at this time. Bonafide playmakers are not really available, either. Next, there needs to be consistency in coaching staffs. Pelini is here now, great, we have to stand by him and give him a legitimate chance to let his work take hold. This is going to take more than 2-3 years, at least to be good on a year in-year out basis. I'm in it for the long haul, but it sure does suck losing. This team is no better than it was last season and most likely won't end up much better, either. I just hope that Pelini does not lose this team.

Actually DJ, I think Pelini has already lost this team. At least in terms of the elder statesmen of the team. I guess what I actually mean is that he never really "had" them. Listen to the comments that some of these guys made after these last two weeks. They sound just like they did under the previous regime, "just need to put this behind us", "just need to execute better", etc. These guys are used to losing and used to not having to actually defend themselves to media. I'll know this is Bo's team/players when I hear something like, (helmet crashing against a locker) "You saw it! We played like freakin' pansies! Forget scheme and all that! We just need to sack up and clobber somebody!" When I start actually hearing players/leaders sound extremely tee'd off, and not like they've been doing this loser dance so many times that they can just push play and let the recorder spout off the same PC garbage we heard after the prior week's, I'll start believing that this is Pelini's team. Right now its still Callahan's team unfortunately.

I disagree. I think trying to lump this on Callahan is ridiculous. It is Pelini's team, win or lose. When there was optimism that about this season, or signs of improvement in the first few games, it was Bo, Bo, Bo, but once there is some failure, it's Callahan's fault? I call :bs:

Yes, most of these players are Callahan recruits, but he isn't here anymore. This is Bo's team right now and blaming any of this on Callahan, Pederson, global warming, or the economic bailout package is off point. Nebraska hasn't had any leaders like you speak of since about 1999. The players shouldn't have to defend themselves to the media, the coach should and then chew the players' asses and get them ready to play the next game. I want what you want as much as anyone, but to state that this is not Pelini's team anyways, then maybe he shouldn't be the coach here. It's his job to get the guys here that want to be here playing for each other and the university. He has the power to cut guys, thin the herd of those that do not belong. It's not like the guy is shy, I am pretty sure if he felt like you do, he would have cleaned house of those players.

I'm sorry, I just don't agree with your assessment.

If Pelini can beat Baylor, ISU, KSU, and CU and then go to a bowl game, there will be no serious outrage from the fans. However, things could get very ugly if he loses to Baylor and/or ISU... We didn't fire Callahan to go 3-9.

many would say the same thing about solich.....

the fact is, we went a completely different direction with the old staff... it seems some people are expecting us to jump right back into the old, or execute perfectly. it's simply not going to happen. you don't take a team thats built around offense and defense almost as a secondary recruiting requirement, and turn them into a top 25 defense... bo will get the job done, there is no doubt in my mind about that... we need to give him time to get a little more speed in here on defense... in my opinion, if we were to have our offense that we have right now, in 5 years, we would be a threat in the national picture... people complain and complain about the gameplan, but we are making ourselves one dimensional in games like this... our offense is not bad. watson may not be the best guy, but i'm willing to bet he'll be okay... fact is, bo doesn't have what he wants on defense. i know many, myself included, thought this year had potential to be pretty good, because the "cupboard isn't bare" and while it may not be, it IS bare of what Bo wants... i mean if you take a look at the one thing bo has really been able to do, moving glenn over to LB, that may give us a view of the future.... i know i'm excited for the future, and while it sucks going through the worst time in memory of husker football while i'm a student, its still a blast to go to games and get fired up for them...

and to whoever said throwing the bones may be too much for this defense... come on! It's NEBRASKA FOOTBALL, we can, and will continue to throw the bones. they deserve it. they play their hearts out, they aren't going to give up, the coaching staff won't let them.

These games have all been reality checks to ALOT of Husker Nation. While I think that most people on this board were pretty darn accurate in their predictions for the season I saw alot of people predicting a 0,1,2 loss season when in reality that wasn't feasable. I just hope that people dont jump off the ship before it is righted. We waited out BC and gave him some time Bo deserves just as much time.

If Pelini can beat Baylor, ISU, KSU, and CU and then go to a bowl game, there will be no serious outrage from the fans. However, things could get very ugly if he loses to Baylor and/or ISU... We didn't fire Callahan to go 3-9.

the fact is, we went a completely different direction with the old staff... it seems some people are expecting us to jump right back into the old, or execute perfectly. it's simply not going to happen. you don't take a team thats built around offense and defense almost as a secondary recruiting requirement, and turn them into a top 25 defense... bo will get the job done, there is no doubt in my mind about that... we need to give him time to get a little more speed in here on defense... in my opinion, if we were to have our offense that we have right now, in 5 years, we would be a threat in the national picture... people complain and complain about the gameplan, but we are making ourselves one dimensional in games like this... our offense is not bad. watson may not be the best guy, but i'm willing to bet he'll be okay... fact is, bo doesn't have what he wants on defense. i know many, myself included, thought this year had potential to be pretty good, because the "cupboard isn't bare" and while it may not be, it IS bare of what Bo wants... i mean if you take a look at the one thing bo has really been able to do, moving glenn over to LB, that may give us a view of the future.... i know i'm excited for the future, and while it sucks going through the worst time in memory of husker football while i'm a student, its still a blast to go to games and get fired up for them...

and to whoever said throwing the bones may be too much for this defense... come on! It's NEBRASKA FOOTBALL, we can, and will continue to throw the bones. they deserve it. they play their hearts out, they aren't going to give up, the coaching staff won't let them.

I don't agree with this statement. Our offense is bad. The only time the WCO has shown anything is in the games we were supposed to win, and in the last 5 years that isn't many. The only time a college team can execute this complicated of an offense is when you have the talent at all posistions to do so, see USC. I am all about having a balanced attack, but the WCO is not the way to get that for us. This offense has been searching for an identity since Callllahan installed it.

I don't agree with this statement. Our offense is bad. The only time the WCO has shown anything is in the games we were supposed to win, and in the last 5 years that isn't many. The only time a college team can execute this complicated of an offense is when you have the talent at all posistions to do so, see USC. I am all about having a balanced attack, but the WCO is not the way to get that for us. This offense has been searching for an identity since Callllahan installed it.

but it is impossible to have a balance when you can't run the ball because you aren't in a position to run the ball. when we are losing in the late part of games, we aren't in a position to run it...plain and simple. you say the offense is bad. but yet all these people complaining about how bad the offense is are some of the SAME PEOPLE talking about how great our offense was coming into the year, and all we had to do was make minimum improvements to the defense and we would be able to compete. its not all about athletes either. we've had ATHLETES in here. believe it or not, rivals and scout are pretty good judge of these ATHLETES. we need FOOTBALL PLAYERS. we need the kids that want to come in and play nebraska football. quick, fast, fly to the ball, pound people. not necessarily just running the ball, option football, etc... but the strong phsyical game that DOES INCLUDE running the ball, but is NOT LIMITED to that... we need a stronger defense, and we'll be fine... but we're not going to get that until we have better, quicker players on the defensive side of the ball

Sorry. Nobody has the right to tell me to be patient. I've had people telling me to be patient for about 8 years now. Win. Figure out a way to win. Or figure out a way to not get slaughtered by very good teams. If the Pelini hire ends up being a bust, 4 years from now, people are going to tell me to be patient again. Patience is gone.

Sorry. Nobody has the right to tell me to be patient. I've had people telling me to be patient for about 8 years now. Win. Figure out a way to win. Or figure out a way to not get slaughtered by very good teams. If the Pelini hire ends up being a bust, 4 years from now, people are going to tell me to be patient again. Patience is gone.

Yes, I understand what you're saying. I was at that mindset until I thought things over a bit more as this season is unfolding and talking to a long time, more knowledgeable Husker fan in my Uncle. I wish figuring out ways to get Ws was as easy as you state, but just like TO stated and my Uncle stated, there are No quick fixes in college football, relatively speaking. Unless we have a crap load of talent on the current roster that we don't know about (doubtful) and Watson is an offensive genius/highly doubtful.

The Stoops analogy with him pulling OU out of the dumps in 2 years you have to look at the conference/competition as a whole. There was NU and KSU in the North, and the South was very much unsettled. Also the fact that Blake left him with loads of talent and he hired an offensive genius in Leach.

Now the South is very dominant, 4 quality teams, and the North has 2 good teams. The goal for me is to see that Pelini can pull NU up faster then KSU/CU/ISU and compete with Mizzou and Kansas in the next couple years. Reasonable goals. Then tackle the southern teams. Having said that I don't foresee any HC changes in this conference in the next couple years outside of KSU and probably A@M again. Which means a much tougher climb to the top.

It's pretty obvious to me that the last two weeks, the opposing team had better players. They executed on offense. The were tougher on defense. They had more physical lines (both sides). They had more talented skill players on the field. They had less penalties. They converted more third downs. They shut down the run. They dictated/controlled the game. All the while they were on the road.

Players make up a team. You have good, you have better, and you have the best.

Better players beat Good players. Almost all the time. The Huskers have good players.

I'll stick it out week by week, without question. I'll still be hopefull for a win every weekend. I like this team and I want them to do well.