TIME FOR BLACKSHIRTS?

TIME FOR BLACKSHIRTS?  

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bo has said in numerous interviews that he just wants consistency with the defense. The big plays that the defense has given up has not helped the case. Yes, they have good TFL's and such, but those big plays keep squeeking by.

I also posted in another thread that these "accomplishments" from teams like Mizzou(no 3 and outs) and now Baylor (no sacks on QB in awhile) need to be knocked down by the defense. We do that, level out on a consistent defensive scheme by Carl and execution by the players, and Bo will have no excuse and the point will be moot.

Blackshirt for all...which would be nice for those seniors out there.

Why shouldn't they be handed out to this team? In the past there has never been a "let's wait and see how good this defense is before we hand out blackshirts" policy. There have been far worse defenses at Nebraska who have been known as the blackshirts. This defense plays with heart and goes all out. May not be the most talented but those two reason I just mentioned are enough to be awarded blackshirts.

Bo has to give in a little an let these guys have the jerseys and I am more talking for the seniors on this team that have worked there asses off.. If you give out those jerseys it makes those who dont get one want to work even harder to get one and those who do get them, they need to work there butts off to keep them.. Its all about the pride imo!!

I say NO Blackshirts this season. Is this the same board members that wanted to jump off a cliff when MU embarrassed NU. We had a good scheme vs TT and ISU completely sucks. IMO, maybe the worst big 12 team in history (seconded by Travis Justice...local sports guy....who I HATE...but agree with).

Let's see how they handle Baylor's QB (which they can), and then see what happens vs Kansas and in Norman. Why hand them out, and then have everyone bad mouthing them later. Makes NO sense. And if the seniors, deserve them, earn it on the field vs top competition. Letting VT (offense was 105) march the field does not "earn" you a blackshirt, senior or not !!!!!

If you want tradition, earn it !!!!! It is appreciated a lot more if it is earned.

Bo is softening a bit on this though, he did award black "shorts" to the defense yesterday. I think he wants them to know that he appreciates the effort. but they aren't "blackshirt" material yet.

The thing that bothers me to no end when I read these blackshirts threads this year is people saying to GIVE them out. A Blackshirt has NEVER EVER EVER been given out except for during the previous 4 years. The previous 4 years hell you didn't even need to start to get one we had 14-15 blackshirts under ******* as DC. YOU EARNED them when you EARNED the start. That's the general tradition, HOWEVER, they mean much more than that NOW, they are not here because these players are not playing anywhere NEAR Bo's expectations they will never meet his expectations but they need to be closer than they are now to get them shirts.

BLACKSHIRTS are EARNED COLLECTIVELY AS A TEAM. They are CLOSE IMO, however, BO IS A PERFECTIONIST.

I GUARANTEE YOU THESE SENIORS DON'T GIVE A DAM about the Blackshirts, they want to WIN, if they EARN Blackshirts in the process then I'm SURE they'll be happy about that too.

IMO. If these guys keep Baylor in check, hold Baylor to their lowest yardage of the year(that would be 3 straight games) and get a pick off Griffen. THEN these players have EARNED their BLACKSHIRTS, but I am not BO.

I will now get off my :boxosoap

I think the point people are trying to make with saying give them the jerseys is its a tradition and its something Nebraska has hung there hat on for soo many years that we dont want to see it go away this year, but I understand where your coming from and I agree 100%....

Imo IF Bo gives them out he might do it before the OU game if he doesnt then, well then I dont see him doing it at all, but come on after Colo's little real black shirts crap last year.. That would suck if we dont have ours when they come to town...

I think the biggest honor they could have would be to hold off on the Blackshirts and do the regular tradition and award them to the players when we make it to a bowl game. Have a ceremony the night before they head out to the bowl game, and then the Seniors will have them when they leave. I think that is the best plan IMO, make them work for it and get us to a good bowl game.

Why shouldn't they be handed out to this team? In the past there has never been a "let's wait and see how good this defense is before we hand out blackshirts" policy. There have been far worse defenses at Nebraska who have been known as the blackshirts. This defense plays with heart and goes all out. May not be the most talented but those two reason I just mentioned are enough to be awarded blackshirts.

This isn't the past, and these aren't those teams. This is Bo's team now, so IF and when he decides it's time then so be it.

Why even have a tradition if it doesn't mean anything to those who are on the team right now? I mean, the best tasting meat is that which you caught yourself. No?

Nope....not this year...I keep wavering back and forth, but I have made up my mind at least until Saturday...No Blackshirts for this team.

Blackshirts are supposed to be special, lets keep it that way.

Like I said in another topic, we gave them out in the 80's right? Our defenses were horrible back then. People make too huge of a deal about this.