Mitch Sherman on the students

np_husker

Well said!

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200...;u_sid=10485065

Mitch Sherman: No good excuse for empty seats

BY MITCH SHERMAN

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

LINCOLN - In the three days since those hundreds of student seats sat empty atop the east side of the south end zone at Memorial Stadium, many explanations have been offered.

It was too cold.

The students were jammed into the lower sections.

It was no different than the Baylor game.

What's next? Maybe the stadium is too far to walk from the dorms? Perhaps hot dog vendors no longer climb the stairs, so everyone just decided to stay home?

Nebraska students are better than that display. At least, for 46 years, they've been better than that.

Sure, this is the age of trashing tradition in Lincoln. So many streaks have ended in the past decade here that nothing seems sacred or untouchable.

Nothing, that is, but the sellout streak. The 45-35 NU win over Kansas marked the 296th consecutive sellout at Memorial Stadium, far and away an NCAA record.

The streak, as much as Nebraska's five national titles, defines the image of this program.

And while this latest episode does not jeopardize the streak of sellouts, it takes something away from the game-day experience to catch a glimpse of gray, empty benches among the Sea of Red.

"I don't think you ever take anything for granted in athletics," said Athletic Director Tom Osborne, coach when the sellout streak reached 100 in 1979 and 200 in 1994. "But we're so unaccustomed to empty seats that it is surprising and catches your notice.

"Whenever there are empty seats anyplace in the stadium, I notice it."

NU fans have endured cold and wind just like Saturday for at least one game nearly every year during the past 45 seasons. This is Nebraska. Cold and wind are part of the ambiance.

Anywhere else, Saturday's display would not be of great importance. But it's important at NU. And more than anything else, that's what the students apparently fail to recognize. For twice as long as they've been alive, Nebraska has been different.

According to a few students, they feel slighted by the school's decision before this season to move part of their section to the top of the end zone. Students are unhappy with the suggestion that they're not doing their part to fill the stadium.

Well, it's true. The evidence was plain to see.

Nebraska officials plan to examine student turnout on Nov. 28, when Colorado visits the day after Thanksgiving. As Osborne noted, many students will be away for the holiday.

Oh, yes, and it will probably be cold.

Once upon a time, the football game was an excuse to get back to Lincoln - not the other way around.

If sections remain empty, NU may consider overselling the 8,600-seat student section next year, as it does for basketball at the Devaney Center, Osborne said, or offering general-admission tickets to the public.

This year, in fact, marks the first season of general-admission seating for students. Nebraska ticket manager Holly Adam said she suspects that some students without assigned seats on Saturday simply chose to find other spots in the stadium to watch the game because of the cold.

There's no easy remedy, other than for the students to show up.

Their tickets cost $21. For $44 more, students can upgrade their tickets to the $65 face-value price for the general public, sell, break even and ensure that Memorial Stadium looks full for a national audience on ABC in 16 days.

Might be the best thing they do for the school all year.

Well said!

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200...;u_sid=10485065

Their tickets cost $21. For $44 more, students can upgrade their tickets to the $65 face-value price for the general public, sell, break even and ensure that Memorial Stadium looks full for a national audience on ABC in 16 days.

Might be the best thing they do for the school all year.

That is a well written article. they should sell those student tickets if they don't show up

I have never seen a Husker game in Lincoln. When I lived in NE I couldn't afford it and now that I can afford it I live all the way across the country.

My life's ambition is to see a game in Memorial Stadium. I will accomplish this one day no matter what the price or the mileage travelled is. I know there are countless numbers of people who are just like me. It makes me sick to know that these people treat the tickets and experiences as trivial matters, to be tossed away on a whim.

They truly don't know how lucky they have it.

This has gotten way out of hand, and they are all blowing it way out of proportion.

What Sherman doesn't realize is that we can sell our ticket, however to have someone who isn't a student use it, we need to be present with that person in order to validate it...meaning the non-student has to pay extra in order to use that ticket without a student ID. Which is a big pain in the ass if you aren't going to be in town during the game.

And to judge based on the Colorado game is ridiculous...its Thanksgiving! Lots of kids will be gone, and it happens year in and year out that time. I've sold my ticket, but I'm sure a lot haven't, or won't.

I realize how lucky I am to go to the games, and I appreciate every second of it.

This has gotten way out of hand, and they are all blowing it way out of proportion.

What Sherman doesn't realize is that we can sell our ticket, however to have someone who isn't a student use it, we need to be present with that person in order to validate it...meaning the non-student has to pay extra in order to use that ticket without a student ID. Which is a big pain in the ass if you aren't going to be in town during the game.

And to judge based on the Colorado game is ridiculous...its Thanksgiving! Lots of kids will be gone, and it happens year in and year out that time. I've sold my ticket, but I'm sure a lot haven't, or won't.

I realize how lucky I am to go to the games, and I appreciate every second of it.

If you think this is ridiculous then I think you missed the point. Mitch Sherman is right about the stadium being full the ENTIRE game since well before you were born.

B)-->

QUOTE(Husker B @ Nov 12 2008, 10:11 AM) 378045[/snapback]

I have never seen a Husker game in Lincoln. When I lived in NE I couldn't afford it and now that I can afford it I live all the way across the country.

My life's ambition is to see a game in Memorial Stadium. I will accomplish this one day no matter what the price or the mileage travelled is. I know there are countless numbers of people who are just like me. It makes me sick to know that these people treat the tickets and experiences as trivial matters, to be tossed away on a whim.

They truly don't know how lucky they have it.

The C-Bear is a frosh this year and she knows how lucky she is. Be careful how you use the word they.

T_O_B

:bang

The University should offer to buy these tickets back from students who for whatever reason are not planning on going to the game(s). The University could turn around and reissue the tickets. I am sure they would fill the seats with plenty of fans who search for tickets on game day!

:bang

The University should offer to buy these tickets back from students who for whatever reason are not planning on going to the game(s). The University could turn around and reissue the tickets. I am sure they would fill the seats with plenty of fans who search for tickets on game day!

I agree, but what if they didn't sell all of these tickets then? The sellout streak would be over.....................it is a little ridiculous though, but I think we've beaten this to death over the past couple of days.

Are you serious? Do you actually have to be present with the other person on game day? Back in the day when I was in college, we just went down to the ticket office any day of the working week and got them validated. We paid them the 17 bucks or whatever it was, and they placed a white validated sticker across the tickets. We used to sell our CU tickets to the CU fans for enough money to pay for our entire year's worth of student tickets. Once we had them validated, we slipped them in the mail. We never had to be around on game day. Heck, if you're around on game day and have to go down there anyway why not just go to the game?

Are you serious? Do you actually have to be present with the other person on game day? Back in the day when I was in college, we just went down to the ticket office any day of the working week and got them validated. We paid them the 17 bucks or whatever it was, and they placed a white validated sticker across the tickets. We used to sell our CU tickets to the CU fans for enough money to pay for our entire year's worth of student tickets. Once we had them validated, we slipped them in the mail. We never had to be around on game day. Heck, if you're around on game day and have to go down there anyway why not just go to the game?

My have times changed...it now costs 40 bucks to validate them.

Just to comment on the fact of the moved seating real quick:

I'm going to be a freshmen next year at UNL, and trust me, I'll be at every single game and I'll be yelling. But i do not like this General-Admission seating as opposed to having a particular seat. Everytime i go to a game in Lincoln, I like to walk around campus and soak up the atmosphere of a Husker game. The fans scurrying about, the tailgating, the drumline and band playing, i love watching it all. I really don't want to have to miss all that because I'll have to go to the stadium 3 hours early to get decent seats.

Just saying.

I remember when I went to school there and even a few years ago I bought tickets from a student and they were already validated before the game and unless they changed the rules then you still can and the other party does not have to be present.

They changed it since I've been a student here, all of 4 years. So when I sold my CO ticket to another student, he got his ticket validated for his girlfriend instead of using mine because of the rule change.

And to caveman, what is ridiculous about this is the fact that all this blame is heaped upon the students when there were just as many open seats around the stadium...the West stadium had spots all over it.

But I'm done with this topic dedhoarsededhoarse , I'll be graduating in May then I can join the bash brigade against the students... :corndance