Who Redshirts Out Of This Class?????

Based on Bo's philosophy this season, I would be that 'MOST" of this class will redshirt. Maybe 1 of the CBs plays, possibly a Burkhead (probably listed at 3 on depth chart, unless Okafor turns it on). If he isn't top 3, then he will redshirt. With Burkhead, it will be a let's take it one game at a time thing. If we need him, play him, but if not, RS

Some think Green will battle for playing time right away....not sure a HS qb can make that jump, but you do see it at other schools. Many think Spano will be the guy....

why do people think Green cant make the transition to start next year? look at tyrelle pryor, the NC state qb, baylor qb, there are a ton of freshman qbs...tru freshamn qbs that start...so no reason why he cant

Some true freshman are capable, but that is the exception and definitely not the rule.

I think everyone will take a RS except Bodtmann, Burkhead, Gomes and Kinnie.

why do people think Green cant make the transition to start next year? look at tyrelle pryor, the NC state qb, baylor qb, there are a ton of freshman qbs...tru freshamn qbs that start...so no reason why he cant

Some true freshman are capable, but that is the exception and definitely not the rule.

on top of that whenever a true frosh QB starts its usually because he's clearly better than the rest, but NU has a stable full of capable QBs. it'd be fun to see Green start as a true frosh, but doubtful, even if he is capable...

I think people are being foolish to think Green will be able to come in and beat out two QB's we have that have been around for two years learning the play book and getting used to the speed of the college game. Both of these guys were solid prospects two years ago heck Zak Lee was a four star. I know stars don't mean a thing, but to think a guy right out of high school can come in and beat out two guys that know the plays, and have been running them for a while now, and also have some chemistry with the WR's is a bit of a stretch. Even if the kid is has more tools physically, when the offense lacks the timing and can't make all the reads at the line you really limit yourself.

Most of the true freshmen you see starting around the country are either in programs that are undergoing coaching changes, or there is just a real lack of talent on the depth chart.

I don't think thats the case here, so I would really be shocked if he comes in and shakes things up that much. It would be more likely yet still surprising to see Spano jump to the top spot.

My feeling is this. This off season will be interesting, on multiple fronts. If we are starting a true freshman QB next fall something is wrong, or this kid is SUPERMAN!

Either way GBR!

I think people are being foolish to think Green will be able to come in and beat out two QB's we have that have been around for two years learning the play book and getting used to the speed of the college game. Both of these guys were solid prospects two years ago heck Zak Lee was a four star. I know stars don't mean a thing, but to think a guy right out of high school can come in and beat out two guys that know the plays, and have been running them for a while now, and also have some chemistry with the WR's is a bit of a stretch. Even if the kid is has more tools physically, when the offense lacks the timing and can't make all the reads at the line you really limit yourself.

Most of the true freshmen you see starting around the country are either in programs that are undergoing coaching changes, or there is just a real lack of talent on the depth chart.

I don't think thats the case here, so I would really be shocked if he comes in and shakes things up that much. It would be more likely yet still surprising to see Spano jump to the top spot.

My feeling is this. This off season will be interesting, on multiple fronts. If we are starting a true freshman QB next fall something is wrong, or this kid is SUPERMAN!

Either way GBR!

I agree. Stating that Green has almost no chance of starting as a true freshman --- and is most likely to redshirt is no knock on Green himself. I have no doubt that he has great skill and will be a really fine QB some day. And, if we had nobody of merit in front of him --- well, he might be pressed into early service and maybe be quite good. That said, he does have two fairly experienced and very promising people in front of him in Lee and Witt (2 years in the program each seeing their THIRD spring coming up) --- and a third person in Spano (who will be seeing his second spring upcoming). Against that competition Green has essentially zero chance of starting and a slim chance of escaping a redshirt.

It is the same with Burkhead --- if he stays at RB then no way a true freshman will unseat Helu --- Roy is simply too good to be bumped. Castille is proven (and with improved ability to hang onto the ball) is really good. Mendoza has skill --- plenty of it. Collins Okafor will factor in too. Against that, Rex will not be able to compete well for a starting spot immediately. He too, if RB it is for him, will likely redshirt (unless they have a special teams role for him). If he plays safety or OLB or even slot receiver he has a quicker route to the field.

But generally, a true freshman rarely starts unless the depth chart is weak at his position. There is the rare, rare cases of guys like Adrian Peterson (and other exceedingly rare examples) --- but such is, well.... rare. I really doubt either Green or Burkhead start (unless Burkhead plays a non-RB position at which point he has a better shot --- but is still unlikely). Both are great recruits. Both will be fun to watch and will have plenty of starting time in the future. Just not as true freshman (except Burkhead could, potentially not redshirt and have his input largely on special teams, perhaps in the return game).

Either way GBR!

I agree. Stating that Green has almost no chance of starting as a true freshman --- and is most likely to redshirt is no knock on Green himself. I have no doubt that he has great skill and will be a really fine QB some day. And, if we had nobody of merit in front of him --- well, he might be pressed into early service and maybe be quite good. That said, he does have two fairly experienced and very promising people in front of him in Lee and Witt (2 years in the program each seeing their THIRD spring coming up) --- and a third person in Spano (who will be seeing his second spring upcoming). Against that competition Green has essentially zero chance of starting and a slim chance of escaping a redshirt.

It is the same with Burkhead --- if he stays at RB then no way a true freshman will unseat Helu --- Roy is simply too good to be bumped. Castille is proven (and with improved ability to hang onto the ball) is really good. Mendoza has skill --- plenty of it. Collins Okafor will factor in too. Against that, Rex will not be able to compete well for a starting spot immediately. He too, if RB it is for him, will likely redshirt (unless they have a special teams role for him). If he plays safety or OLB or even slot receiver he has a quicker route to the field.

But generally, a true freshman rarely starts unless the depth chart is weak at his position. There is the rare, rare cases of guys like Adrian Peterson (and other exceedingly rare examples) --- but such is, well.... rare. I really doubt either Green or Burkhead start (unless Burkhead plays a non-RB position at which point he has a better shot --- but is still unlikely). Both are great recruits. Both will be fun to watch and will have plenty of starting time in the future. Just not as true freshman (except Burkhead could, potentially not redshirt and have his input largely on special teams, perhaps in the return game).

Not that Lehming is a God or anything, but Pryor was Lehmings #1 player of the entire 08' recruiting class. Green, not so much. Then, you throw in the fact that Green missed almost an entire year his jr. year to injury. It will help him coming in early to learn the system. However, I have a hard time thinking he's going to beat out someone who's been in the system a while.

this one surprises me a little. is he that good?

this one surprises me a little. is he that good?

Not sure what BW had in mind, but this might reflect on his position, LB, more than his being the 2nd best freshman or anything. He appears to be slightly underrated by some. I think he needs some more time to add a little weight, but he might be pretty good at coverage which some of the other prospects at LB struggle with. He may be able to immediately contribute on special teams as he is very athletic.