2009 starting QB

i hope green gets it, otherwise we will only have him as qb for 1 or maybe 2 years depending on redshirting. He is the kind of character you want to BUILD a long-term team around. Think Tommie Frazier, think Colt Mccoy, think Sam Bradford, think Tim Tebow. All examples of very young quarterbacks stepping up the plate and building a team around themselves. Thats what nebraska needs, especially now that we are starting out into the first few years after the transition. Lets get some consistency.

McCoy and and Bradford both redshirted their first year on campus. Tebow obviously played sparingly his first year. Very few freshman step into a QB role and take over as a true freshman in D1 football, Cody is very talented, but he needs to be put in a position to succeed like all players do. Spending a year learning will likely be the best way to do that

i hope green gets it, otherwise we will only have him as qb for 1 or maybe 2 years depending on red shirting. He is the kind of character you want to BUILD a long-term team around. Think Tommie Frazier, think Colt Mccoy, think Sam Bradford, think Tim Tebow. All examples of very young quarterbacks stepping up the plate and building a team around themselves. That's what Nebraska needs, especially now that we are starting out into the first few years after the transition. Lets get some consistency.

McCoy and and Bradford both red shirted their first year on campus. Tebow obviously played sparingly his first year. Very few freshman step into a QB role and take over as a true freshman in D1 football, Cody is very talented, but he needs to be put in a position to succeed like all players do. Spending a year learning will likely be the best way to do that

exactly.......why destroy the kids confidence by throwing him to the wolves?? the speed of the game at the college level is much faster than high school, give the kid time to adjust so he can begin successfully!

My money is on Witt. I think it will come down to Lee (Jr) or Witt (Soph). KODY Spano didnt see any playing time at all during the 2008 season. Only Witt and Lee did behind Ganz, not to mention Witt was labeled as the backup to Ganz, but who knows, there is alot of time until the next season so it will be interesting to see what happens in the battle for the starting QB position, i dont think Cody Green is going to be starter, if he isnt redshirted he might see some playing time in the earlier games when Witt or Lee or Spano runs up the score.

Statistically Witt has seen more playing time than Lee has, Witt played in 5 games and was 6-8 for 48 yards with his longest pass 23 yds, Lee on the other hand has played 2 games 1-2 for 5 yds.

As for Witt's little playing time during the bowl game, well i give him some slack, freshman QB going out there during a big game like that can be a bit intimidating for him, he is lucky it was ruled a sack but its a lesson that i think he wont forget.

Spano obviously did not see playing time as he was redshirting, which is what Witt and Lee did the year before, and also what Ganz and even Keller did in the years before that. So I don't think his lack of PT means much, but his youth does mean he is probably behind Witt and Lee.

Also to give just a LITTLE bit of credit back to Witt, it was ruled as a 5-yard gain ;) Or so. I know it doesn't mean much.

I wonder why the roster said Witt was a Redshirt Freshman for 2008 and Lee was a sophmore? Oh well i guess if both of them were redshirted last year as freshman then they will both be sophmores next year. It will be interesting to see how things turn out. Remember Bo knows Nebraska.

My money says that Green will be redshirted, then it will be between Spano and Witt. Evidently the coaches see something in Witt, because it seems he has been the front runner all along this year as backup...so I would think Witt will probably be starting next year.

This is another one of the those threads where I have to emphasize "Opinions are like A$$holes, everyone has one, no two are exactly alike, and some look better than others".

My money says that Green will be redshirted, then it will be between Spano and Witt. Evidently the coaches see something in Witt, because it seems he has been the front runner all along this year as backup...so I would think Witt will probably be starting next year.

This is another one of the those threads where I have to emphasize "Opinions are like A$$holes, everyone has one, no two are exactly alike, and some look better than others".

220 1,543 - 27 351 230 65.0 3,226 36 5 Cody Green's Senior Stats

Cody Green plays in a tough 4A league and McFarland plays in tough 5A district. Why do you think mots of the Big 12's top QBs are from Texas? We play a high level of football down here. Spano is well prepared to run NU's spread offense. He ran a hurry-up no huddle in HS, the same coach as Garrett Gilbert! Green has far better stats than any Robert Griffin put up at Cove! Top impact freshmen were Texans on offense, Griffin at Baylor and Rodgers at Oregon State! We play a very high level of football expecially 4 and 5A!

:cheers Thank you jliehr for pointing out that those "phenoms" (as some consider them) red-shirted or played sparingly during their first year. Thanks to BigWillie for pointing out that boards like this can absolutely be a "negative" influence on a player's career.........anyone watch ESPN's outside the lines this morning.......topic was recruiting and how the external pressures of media, fans, and INTERNET puts so much pressure on some of these guys, that they "crack"........

Let's let Green come to campus, mature at his own rate, learn the offense at his pace, and let Pelini and Watson decide if he is ready before we proclaim him the next coming of Tommie Frazier....even he didn't start until midway through his freshman season......and only because that team desperately needed a spark.

But, since this is the topic and we are all giving opinions........mine is, I think Witt/Lee will be co-1's headed into spring with Spano/Green co-2's......After spring ball....not much changes, except we will here how the Cody and Kody are impressive...."All the normal spring time coach speak"..

Next fall..... Lee win's the battle because of mobility and toughness. He will start, with Spano right on his heels... Cody Green will suit every game and will be like Compton was this year..... he will be available in emergency early, but once the season is half over, Bo will not take away a RS at that point....regardless...

Because of Lee's history with injury, we will probably end season with Spano at number 1 to lead us in the Big 12 title game.

None of this means anything, but fun to debate :lol:

I would start Cody and let him take his lumps in the non-conference games. Then he'll be ready to rock in conference play. If this kid pans out he will have the potential to be a 4 year starter. Stability at the QB position is HUGE in CFB. I say start him early and hope for a game=breaker!

My money is on Cody Green.

Talking first game (W Mich) or some game down the road.

I think we might have 2 different QBs start during the season - dunno why. Cody might be like Turner Gill - mid season replacement in his freshman year.

Gill played on the freshman team his first year, and came in the 4th game of his soph season (the Auburn game in the rain) and started the rest of his games except when injured.