2009 starting QB

I find it hard to believe it will be anyone but CODY GREEN because even if he redshirts we'll have him for 2 years after Witt or who ever leaves...and 1 of those years will be an inexperienced one....way to much of a talent to not dumb down the offense if needed and start him as a freshman...he needs on the field...by the time he's a junior and senior he'll flourish because he'll be experienced....does no one else get this?

I've went through this a many of times already, but I'll say it again -- Cody is completely green (no pun intended) as a passer. He has quite a ways to go, regardless of the stats he put up. His offense in HS was so simplistic and relied heavily upon YAC guys like Dugat. I wish they kept YAC stats in high school for a guy like Dugat.

Cody also has to work heavily on his throwing motion. You can search where I talked about this before, because I'm entirely too lazy to copy and paste that again. :P

But this is worth repeating -- STOP PUTTING SO MUCH PRESSURE ON THESE RECRUITS! After Lucky, Beck, Leon Jackson, Dillard, Bowman, Andre Jones, Picou, Murtha, Asante, etc., we would learn that all recruits will not live up to this insane hype the recruiting websites put on these kids. Some of them even had solid careers and some flamed out hard, but they came nowhere close to the 'stud' status we all wanted them to be.

A kid like Cody Green is almost like a Jamarkus McFarland. If you follow Rivals, McFarland is the 20th best recruit in the country. However, McFarland is so damm raw that there is no way he can compete from day 1. He puts up his stats and is a terror, but he gets by solely on athleticism and strength. Like McFarland, Cody gets by mostly on his athleticism playing against some bad competition. But also like McFarland, Cody has unbelievable upside that needs to be developed over time.

It's almost like a baby out of the womb. You don't make it walk on day 1.

Starting Cody on day 1 not only cheats Cody out of a great year of development he needs to become the player he can be, but it cheats the program out of an even better version of Cody we can get.

Plus is Cody is the talent most believe he is, he will take over the world after a RS season, win 4 Heismans, solve the Middle East crisis and fix the economy. He can do all of that in 4 years, even with that RS season. :)

I'm not sure who all watched Cody's championship game a couple weeks ago, but he has just as must of a chance to start as anybody else we have waiting on the sidelines.

Because he played well in a playoff game, he must be ready for big-time division 1 ball. Right?

It'll come down to Lee and Witt, IMO, unless Spano really steps it up. Man, Witt has had some in-game jitters...

Agree on the between Witt and Lee battle. I think what some people here are forgetting is the reason we have Spring football. It is not to prepare a freshman to start at quarterback. It is to prepare the #2 guy who saw little real action the year before. Do you really believe the coaches are going to waste the Spring giving all the important practice time with the first team to a H.S. kid just because he has great athleticism. Next Spring will be the chance to do a majority of the work with Witt and Lee, now that Joe is gone, to make sure one of them is ready.

Bo has shown about as much willingness to start newcomers as Osborne used to.

Don't understand the Witt jitters statement though. What am I forgetting?

Okay, dammit. Read this and go to the link:

"Green arrives in a little more than a week. Will the student body let him get through a class with a stare and a whisper? Will the media back off and let the kid grow into his role, whatever it may be? Since newspapers are no longer interested in myths that go longer than 20 inches – and radio talk shows mostly like to boil every programmed hour down to insipid paper-or-plastic-pick-a-bag-or-die! debates – can Cody Green go four months on campus without getting the equivalent of the “Superman” theme? I mean, ask yourself: Did that treatment do Marlon Lucky any good? Bobby Newcombe? Harrison Beck? Sam “ASU” Keller? Joe “I read Sun Tzu” Dailey? Curt “I missed prom for this” Dukes? Any of them? How’d it go for Thunder Collins? Swimmingly."

http://nebraska.statepaper.com/vnews/displ...2/49504e765b56d

Witt fumbled two snaps in a game he was in earlier this season. I forget who it was against. Then today, he had a really close call there that could have cost us the game.

Hopefully these are things that he just needs to get out of his system in live action, and he's rid of them now.

Witt fumbled two snaps in a game he was in earlier this season. I forget who it was against. Then today, he had a really close call there that could have cost us the game.

Hopefully these are things that he just needs to get out of his system in live action, and he's rid of them now.

Forgot the fumbled snaps. But the run today, anybody could have lost the ball on that hit. He'll be fine by the start of next season as long as we don't open with USC.

I find it hard to believe it will be anyone but CODY GREEN because even if he redshirts we'll have him for 2 years after Witt or who ever leaves...and 1 of those years will be an inexperienced one....way to much of a talent to not dumb down the offense if needed and start him as a freshman...he needs on the field...by the time he's a junior and senior he'll flourish because he'll be experienced....does no one else get this?

I've went through this a many of times already, but I'll say it again -- Cody is completely green (no pun intended) as a passer. He has quite a ways to go, regardless of the stats he put up. His offense in HS was so simplistic and relied heavily upon YAC guys like Dugat. I wish they kept YAC stats in high school for a guy like Dugat.

Cody also has to work heavily on his throwing motion. You can search where I talked about this before, because I'm entirely too lazy to copy and paste that again. :P

But this is worth repeating -- STOP PUTTING SO MUCH PRESSURE ON THESE RECRUITS! After Lucky, Beck, Leon Jackson, Dillard, Bowman, Andre Jones, Picou, Murtha, Asante, etc., we would learn that all recruits will not live up to this insane hype the recruiting websites put on these kids. Some of them even had solid careers and some flamed out hard, but they came nowhere close to the 'stud' status we all wanted them to be.

A kid like Cody Green is almost like a Jamarkus McFarland. If you follow Rivals, McFarland is the 20th best recruit in the country. However, McFarland is so damm raw that there is no way he can compete from day 1. He puts up his stats and is a terror, but he gets by solely on athleticism and strength. Like McFarland, Cody gets by mostly on his athleticism playing against some bad competition. But also like McFarland, Cody has unbelievable upside that needs to be developed over time.

Starting Cody on day 1 not only cheats Cody out of a great year of development he needs to become the player he can be, but it cheats the program out of an even better version of Cody we can get.

Plus is Cody is the talent most believe he is, he will take over the world after a RS season, win 4 Heismans, solve the Middle East crisis and fix the economy. He can do all of that in 4 years, even with that RS season. :)

[/quo

and that is the end of this thread......until the spring game. :thumbs

B)-->

QUOTE(Husker B @ Jan 1 2009, 10:22 PM) 403050[/snapback]

No way a true freshman comes in here trying to grip Watson's offense. It took Ganz two full years before he was comfortable with it.

I'd say Witt at this point, but it's going to be an all out war with all 3 in spring practices to truly find out. It could be any of them.

The offense we used after the Mizzou game is more simple than Watson's full system. So a freshman could come in and play.

That said, I think Green has to prove he can throw the ball with consistency before he can play.

My money is on Lee, just because his overall athleticism might be too good to pass up.

'twill be lee or spano. a couple players i know have told me that these two are tearing it up in practice and will likely start next season. they are both far more athletic than witt and both more knowledgeable about the system than green.

why any of you would leave lee out of the conversation in far beyond me, he has the most impressive history imo.