Can Huskers run the Florida Spread Option Offense?

rkhufu7

From today's Shatel:

Now, more than ever, I'm convinced that if Bo Pelini can build a fast and ferocious defense and play ball-control offense, he can win the Big 12 and be in the hunt most every year.

In bowl games, the Big 12 offenses were jugger-nots. Texas struggled to score 24 against Ohio State. Oklahoma State got pushed around by Oregon. Texas Tech scored 35 but looked sluggish in losing big to Ole Miss. And Oklahoma, the mightiest of them all, ran up a bunch of yards but got in the end zone only twice against a "real defense."

Let's be real: the spread offenses make for good ESPN highlights - and can win you a Heisman - but you gotta play defense and run the ball. Some of these Big 12 spreads need to be tweaked to run the ball. A spread that can get tough yards on the ground?

That would be Urban Meyer's spread, the one Tom Osborne loves, the one Pelini says he would emulate if he ran a spread.

jealous much??

I think tebow is kind of a tool. Yeah I got tired of the media propping him last night, just as they have countless other players in different games. It sucks but you might as well get used to it.

but there is no denying that he just led florida to a MNC!! The second in three years.

BTW- along the way he managed to get a Heisman (almost got two).

holy shiite. That is an accomplishment folks. He's a VERY good QB.

please resume your regularly scheduled tebow bashing. :cheers

jealous much??

I think tebow is kind of a tool. Yeah I got tired of the media propping him last night, just as they have countless other players in different games. It sucks but you might as well get used to it.

but there is no denying that he just led florida to a MNC!! The second in three years.

Amen :clap:yeah

What do you expect TO to say when he is asked a question by the media like that? The media would have Loved if TO would have said the power option we ran was much better. They would have hung him at the stake. TO is way to smart to fall into that kind of trap. Just saying :dunno

trap?

From today's Shatel:

That would be Urban Meyer's spread, the one Tom Osborne loves, the one Pelini says he would emulate if he ran a spread.

as well as nebraska was running the option back in the day, i'm betting if osborne took a team to the field and he was calling offensive shots, we would be putting together a spread team.

just saying.

Could this team do it? No. Could Nebraska do it eventually? Yes.

Florida obviously has way more talent than we do , and they have a bruiser for a quarterback. They run that style of offense because of how Tebow is. If you look at their previous championship (before 2009), they were a bit more of a spread pass attack and less option running. Tebow packs quite a punch and they revamped the offense to fit him.

Cody Green and Spano ran option and zone reads in HS. The Harvin's and Demps are not NFL RBs or WRs, they are tweeners. Florida runs a veer offense from the gun. They have 2 tall outside WRs and a TE which are the main receiving threats. They have to very fast HBs or slot WRs, which they play one in the slot and the other in the backfield. They sub one back with a traditional FB for more blocking or put both in the slots and run an empty set. They run inside zone, traps, counter sweeps and isos and even powers along with the options and shuffle passes to TEs, basic WR bubble and tunnel screens, PAs and boots off zone read and other base plays and basic spread 3 and 5 step pass plays. The offense is VERY simple and you could run it. Make Castille the main back, put Helu or Gilleyen/Paul in other slot and the tall WR like Holt out wide, with a TE and with Lee, Spano or Green you can run this offense!

I see your point but you didn't once answer or bring up one of the biggest parts to all of this..the O-line. You need an extremely powerful o-line to run any sort of offense, especially the one Florida runs.

NU's OL in the 90s wasn't the biggest, some years they had like most guys in the 280-290 range. You can run that offense and a power-I. It is much harder to prepare for the option than a power I, unless they mix in some option!

I didn't mean "biggest part" as in size, I simply you mean you need powerful guys who know what to do and how to get the job done.

jealous much??

He's a damn good QB. I think anybody would take him lol. It's good he didn't get the trophy two years in a row, however. Yeah, he's good, but to put him in the mix with Archie Griffin (I think that's the guy that won it twice?) is way over the top. I still think Colt McCoy was the most deserving this year, but that's just my opinion. If McCoy had been in the B12 Championship game, I'm convinced he would have won the Heisman.

Florida has the speed. We don't. Have Bo recruit faster players and we may do it in 3-4 years.

Either the 2008 or 2009 recruiting class for the Huskers put up exceptional 40 yard dash and 20 yard burst times (not counting o-line men and d-line men of course). Some non-Nebraska affiliated sportswriter wrote about it in an article I read a few weeks back.

I think this year could even prove to have great progression for team speed. Some Redshirts may get time this upcoming season and our new strength and conditioning coaches are really taking it to the players. "Unnofficial" winter conditioning is scheduled to begin Monday, January 12, even though actual winter conditioning isn't scheduled to begin until the 18th or later.

The people that don’t like Tebow because he is good and because the media love him are lame in my eyes. Like I said if he was the QB at NU you all would be chubbing at all the attention he was getting.

As far as the personal foul penalty goes, give me a break if you have a problem with that. He was talking smack to a guy that had been talking all game. Anyone remember Tommie, LP, or Ahman high stepping on their way to the end zone? Is it classless when a Blackshirt throws up the bones? (same as doing the Gator thing)

If Joey “everyone’s man crush” Ganz was out there fist pumping, trying to get the crowd into, talking trash the people on here would be saying how much fire and passion he has and would love on him for doing it.

Disclaimer: I am in no way shape or form saying that the media doesn’t over do it with Tebow, however this is nothing new with sports and when he graduates next year and moves on they will pick someone else to love on. I will also bet that people will complain about that person too.

As far as the Florida offense goes, there is a little statement in Shatel’s article today that says Pelini said if he changed to a spread attack Florida’s would be the one he would use.

Well after reading a few of your post's I think your kind of lame. I personally think that if you go to another country to do charity work with food ( that somebody else paid for) getting flown out there on somebody else's dime and have a camera crew there to document it, you are the poster boy for self-agrandisement. It was nothing but an over-blown P.R. opportunity. Where's the humility?

The people that don’t like Tebow because he is good and because the media love him are lame in my eyes. Like I said if he was the QB at NU you all would be chubbing at all the attention he was getting.

As far as the personal foul penalty goes, give me a break if you have a problem with that. He was talking smack to a guy that had been talking all game. Anyone remember Tommie, LP, or Ahman high stepping on their way to the end zone? Is it classless when a Blackshirt throws up the bones? (same as doing the Gator thing)

If Joey “everyone’s man crush” Ganz was out there fist pumping, trying to get the crowd into, talking trash the people on here would be saying how much fire and passion he has and would love on him for doing it.

Disclaimer: I am in no way shape or form saying that the media doesn’t over do it with Tebow, however this is nothing new with sports and when he graduates next year and moves on they will pick someone else to love on. I will also bet that people will complain about that person too.

As far as the Florida offense goes, there is a little statement in Shatel’s article today that says Pelini said if he changed to a spread attack Florida’s would be the one he would use.

Well after reading a few of your post's I think your kind of lame. I personally think that if you go to another country to do charity work with food ( that somebody else paid for) getting flown out there on somebody else's dime and have a camera crew there to document it, you are the poster boy for self-agrandisement. It was nothing but an over-blown P.R. opportunity. Where's the humility?

So does this mean the missionaries that go to other countries on their churches dime, or people that pass out food at a food pantry (other people paid for it) or how about the Husker Players when they go to local hospitals to visit kids with a camera crew, or when Shaq spends tons of his money on toys and food then passes them out yet has a camera crew there are only in it for the P.R.? Didn't Tebow's parent get rid of everything they owned to go do the work they do?

Just so my lameness doesn't overtake you and cause you to join the side that thinks Tebow is a good player and doesn't hold it against him because the media loves him I will fall in line with the 'cool" thing and just bash him to bash him.