Defense Next Year

mwj98

I am very happy, for selfish reasons, that Suh is coming back for his senior year. I remember how people were dogging him earlier in the year (i.e. personal fouls) against Vtech. He really came on strong this year. In my opinion, with Suh, Pierre Allen and turner back, we should have a solid D-line. In fact, should be the strongest area on our team.

I remember the 50 front we used to run. Then, everyone said we upgraded the speed, thus 93, 94, 95 teams were awesome. We should have had the triple crown, but I digress. We moved personnel around and BAM!!! Moved safeties to outside backers, to the ends and it was GAME OVER. I see alot of teams using hybrid types. Safeties/Backers to help with speed at the second level. If dillard stays healthy, big concern of mine, what do you all think about moving Asante to OLB?? Just a thought. I don't know too much about the up and coming guys. But, Asante can hit and has speed to get to the outside. He can definitely cover rb's coming out the backfield. If we can produce unbelievable pressure, that would take the heat off the secondary. Which to me, is a weak area. We do have West and some other guys, but relentless pursuit and blitzes can negate any offense. Bo has the know how to do it. Asante could be another Terrel Farley or Jamel Williams. I just see our defense being huge next year. To go from 100 or so in the country to 60th or so, is a big jump in one year. I did see the progress all year. Hell, clemson had a lot of speed, and we got it done.

Big question mark on offense. With that being said. I see a heavy dose of running. We need to run straight at people. Eliminate the stretch run and have those big ol boys up front lean on some folks. We need a breakway running back also. I thought helu was fast, until I saw the Iowa State game. Looked like he needed to unhook the plow. Castille is a bruiser, but speedburner, don't know. By the way, do we have a fullback??? It would be nice to see a fullback again. Create a lead blocker and watch what happens. No more fancy shift right and shift left, just line up and hit someone.

Overall, very satisfied with the team this year. Effort was there. They got it going later in the season. there will be some struggles. But dammit, I can't let it go. We beat Ttech and Vtech, we are looking at a damn good season. Oh by the way, we lost Turner, Dillard and Glenn. Coulda, shoulda, woulda!!!!!!

I appreciate any feedback. This board has been good therapy for me. Especially after Callahan.

One more thing....don't worry about ESPN and all the so called experts. We start winning, shutting people down, the respect will come. Right now, the entire Big 12 is under assault. Mount up boys!!!

Out!

speed kills...you hit the nail on the head about moving people around on D to get more speed...S to LB, LB to DEs, DEs to DT and so on...that was how it was for nu in the mid-90s...size (especially at the LB and DE spot) didn't matter as long as you can run...after charlie mcbride retire, for some reason, we went away from that...the players they chose to play LB and DEs were alot bgger and slower

The Defense will definitely win us some games next year. The secondary will be one of the stronger groups. West, Blue, Asante, Thenarse (hope he learns to wrap up on tackles), Prince, Hagg, Culbert

The wildcard is the linebackers. I hope everyone can stay healthy. I know damon benning and others don't think dillard will be starting. But i think he'll be in the middle and be an anchor all year.

The defense HAS to be the strength of this team next year. They were starting to look like it at the end of this season. Bo will have the defense primed and ready. He is a motivator, and I believe he will have them pumped and ready. Next season looks really good for the defense, now if only we can get special teams and the offense up to par, we will have one heck of a team. Slowly but surely this thing is coming together.

I'm gettin pretty excited about our Defense for next season and the future of the Blackshirts...We have a good idea of what our D-line will look like, with the major ? of who takes the other DT spot...I could see our D-Line looking something like this:

RDE: #95 Pierre Allen, 6-5, 265, Jr., Denver, Colo.

DT: #93 Ndamukong Suh, 6-4, 300, Sr., Portland, Ore.

DT #94 Jared Crick, 6-6, 280, So., Cozad, Neb. or #55 Baker Steinkuhler, 6-6, 290, RFr., Lincoln, Neb.

LDE: #99 Barry Turner, 6-3, 265, Sr., Antioch, Tenn.

This Position is going to be fun to watch...I think I am more excited to see who fills these spots than I am the QB spot....with players like Fisher, Holt, Lawrence and many others...I dont have a clue...Maybe Damon Benning is right...

SLB: #25 Kyler Reed, 6-3, 220, RFr., Shawnee, Kan.

MLB: #52 Phillip Dillard, 6-1, 235, Sr., Tulsa, Okla. or #51 Will Compton, 6-2, 230, RFr., Bonne Terre, Mo.

WLB: #45 Alonzo Whaley, 6-1, 225, RFr., Madisonville, Texas

Wow with all the possibilites in the Secondary this should get interesting this season...I dont know who will take these spots...theres to many players to list....

LCB: #14 Anthony Blue, 5-10, 180, So., Cedar Hill, Texas or #28 Eric Hagg, 6-1, 200, Jr., Peoria, Ariz.

SS: #4 Larry Asante, 6-1, 210, Sr., Alexandria, Va. or #13 P.J. Smith 6-2, 205, RFr., River Ridge, La. or #2 Major Culbert, 6-0, 205, Sr., Harbor City, Calif.

FS: #3 Rickey Thenarse, 6-0, 195, Sr., Los Angeles, Calif. or #12 Courtney Osborne, 6-3, 175, RFr., Garland, Texas

RCB: #6 Anthony West, 6-0, 200, Jr., San Diego, Calif. or #21 Prince Amukamara, 6-1, 195, Jr., Glendale, Ariz.

I'm pumped lets start the season right now!!! GO BIG RED!!!! :w00t

Big question mark on offense. With that being said. I see a heavy dose of running. We need to run straight at people. Eliminate the stretch run and have those big ol boys up front lean on some folks.

The stretch run is an extremely powerful running play. The problem is that our o-line the past couple of years never seemed like it was able to block for it, so it rarely helped out. I'd love to see the stretch play actually work.

If we had more speed at LB, then perhaps our D-line could focus a little more on getting to the quarterback every play. This last year Cody Glenn was on pace to be our leading tackler, he was also the fastest line backer. If we have several guys with his speed in there, then think about how that frees up the Dline.

I would love to see our linebackers making more plays and more tackles every game. Who ever the coaches think will do that gets my support.

We may need the defense to be outstanding next season depending on how our offense is. If we can be decent on offense again and figure out some of the special teams issues we could be a dangerous team.

I agree, I think we're gonna have a pretty average offense at best. All the key players we'll have are all brand new rookie players except Helu and Castille. That's going to be a huge problem. Hopefully they are able to get motivated and play hard, but also play smart.

We may need the defense to be outstanding next season depending on how our offense is. If we can be decent on offense again and figure out some of the special teams issues we could be a dangerous team.

I agree, I think we're gonna have a pretty average offense at best. All the key players we'll have are all brand new rookie players except Helu and Castille. That's going to be a huge problem. Hopefully they are able to get motivated and play hard, but also play smart.

Well there are actually a lot of players that have significant playing time already.

Holt and Paul, good or bad thing on Paul is up for debate, at WR. Other than that, a lot of players with little playing time. Khiry Cooper looks like he could be special. McKinnie is a JUCO that looks like he could contribute right away.

On the O-Line almost all of the non-freshman returning players got a lot of playing time due to the rotation Barney did this year. They have Mike Smith, Keith Williams, Jacob Hickman, D. J. Jones, Marcel Jones, and Javario Burkes all got a decent amount to a lot of playing time this past season. Add to that Ricky Henry who got two years at a JUCO and by most accounts was ready to play last year and was dominate in practice. Ricky by far could be the best of the lot next year.

Running Backs looks like a position of strength next year.

Tight End also looks a position of strength with McNeil and Young coming back and Cotton looking like a possible STUD who could surpase both in the near future.

QB is the wide open question obviously. A lot of talent on the roster.

I think there is enough experience coming back along with some really good young talent that will emerge that the offense will be pretty decent next year. Maybe not Top 15 good, but I will guess and say Top 30 is not too far fetched.

IMO the success of our offense will be determined in large part by our Offensive line, which will have only 1 senior on the 2 deep charts. Sure, the athleticism will be there, but it seemed to me that coaches paired the offense finding its identity with the Offensive line finding its identity all season long. Slauson got the game ball after the Colorado game. Why? because coaches understand that it starts with the OLine.

We have plenty of talent at WR simply due to our offensive schemes. How often did we see home run balls last year? maybe 1 a game, if that... Our talent at WR is plenty sufficient if we plan to utilize the passing game in much the same way as we did this last year. I mean does anyone actually think we will see a game where a QB drops back 50+ times? we need WRs who will block and catch 7-15 yard passes consistently, more than anything.

QB and OL are the biggest questions.

Defensively, the safety position will be my biggest question mark. We have some depth, but we need those guys to play error free football. Most of the time (Colorado's big play in first Quarter, Clemson's TD down the middle, Texas Tech's 4th down conversion late, etc etc) big plays were given up by our Safeties. We need them to put some fear in receivers when they come down hill, but also make plays in coverage....Honestly, how does a DT lead our team in interceptions???????