Defense Next Year

mwj98

With the question marks at QB our OL is going to have to come together quickly so that we can utilize the strength at RB.

Defensively, i concur that the strength is on the DL and they need to take the pressure off of the 'backers and the secondary to allow them to make plays...

Exactly. Defense has a trickle down effect. If the d-line can supply pressure on the quarterback, this give the secondary and linebacking corps time to get into good position and make plays. It all starts up front, so we need to be thankful for our returning starters.

Is it bad that I can all ready see some headlines for next season..."Who will replace Suh?" :wacko:

With the question marks at QB our OL is going to have to come together quickly so that we can utilize the strength at RB.

Defensively, i concur that the strength is on the DL and they need to take the pressure off of the 'backers and the secondary to allow them to make plays...

Exactly. Defense has a trickle down effect. If the d-line can supply pressure on the quarterback, this give the secondary and linebacking corps time to get into good position and make plays. It all starts up front, so we need to be thankful for our returning starters.

Is it bad that I can all ready see some headlines for next season..."Who will replace Suh?" :wacko:

A function of that headline may depend on what we see out of Baker, Crick, Moore, Toailoa this next year.

I'm gettin pretty excited about our Defense for next season and the future of the Blackshirts...We have a good idea of what our D-line will look like, with the major ? of who takes the other DT spot...I could see our D-Line looking something like this:

RDE: #95 Pierre Allen, 6-5, 265, Jr., Denver, Colo.

DT: #93 Ndamukong Suh, 6-4, 300, Sr., Portland, Ore.

DT #94 Jared Crick, 6-6, 280, So., Cozad, Neb. or #55 Baker Steinkuhler, 6-6, 290, RFr., Lincoln, Neb.

LDE: #99 Barry Turner, 6-3, 265, Sr., Antioch, Tenn.

This Position is going to be fun to watch...I think I am more excited to see who fills these spots than I am the QB spot....with players like Fisher, Holt, Lawrence and many others...I dont have a clue...Maybe Damon Benning is right...

SLB: #25 Kyler Reed, 6-3, 220, RFr., Shawnee, Kan.

MLB: #52 Phillip Dillard, 6-1, 235, Sr., Tulsa, Okla. or #51 Will Compton, 6-2, 230, RFr., Bonne Terre, Mo.

WLB: #45 Alonzo Whaley, 6-1, 225, RFr., Madisonville, Texas

Wow with all the possibilites in the Secondary this should get interesting this season...I dont know who will take these spots...theres to many players to list....

LCB: #14 Anthony Blue, 5-10, 180, So., Cedar Hill, Texas or #28 Eric Hagg, 6-1, 200, Jr., Peoria, Ariz.

SS: #4 Larry Asante, 6-1, 210, Sr., Alexandria, Va. or #13 P.J. Smith 6-2, 205, RFr., River Ridge, La. or #2 Major Culbert, 6-0, 205, Sr., Harbor City, Calif.

FS: #3 Rickey Thenarse, 6-0, 195, Sr., Los Angeles, Calif. or #12 Courtney Osborne, 6-3, 175, RFr., Garland, Texas

RCB: #6 Anthony West, 6-0, 200, Jr., San Diego, Calif. or #21 Prince Amukamara, 6-1, 195, Jr., Glendale, Ariz.

I'm pumped lets start the season right now!!! GO BIG RED!!!! :w00t

I think we'll see Dennard play quite a bit in the defensive backfield next year. He made some huge plays (actually tackling) on defensive special teams and in the few times he sniffed the field on defense, he was always in the mix. He's fast enough to return kicks, so we know he has the speed to play D plus he has a knack for finding the ball. He'll definitely get some reps next year.

I'm gettin pretty excited about our Defense for next season and the future of the Blackshirts...We have a good idea of what our D-line will look like, with the major ? of who takes the other DT spot...I could see our D-Line looking something like this:

RDE: #95 Pierre Allen, 6-5, 265, Jr., Denver, Colo.

DT: #93 Ndamukong Suh, 6-4, 300, Sr., Portland, Ore.

DT #94 Jared Crick, 6-6, 280, So., Cozad, Neb. or #55 Baker Steinkuhler, 6-6, 290, RFr., Lincoln, Neb.

LDE: #99 Barry Turner, 6-3, 265, Sr., Antioch, Tenn.

This Position is going to be fun to watch...I think I am more excited to see who fills these spots than I am the QB spot....with players like Fisher, Holt, Lawrence and many others...I dont have a clue...Maybe Damon Benning is right...

SLB: #25 Kyler Reed, 6-3, 220, RFr., Shawnee, Kan.

MLB: #52 Phillip Dillard, 6-1, 235, Sr., Tulsa, Okla. or #51 Will Compton, 6-2, 230, RFr., Bonne Terre, Mo.

WLB: #45 Alonzo Whaley, 6-1, 225, RFr., Madisonville, Texas

Wow with all the possibilites in the Secondary this should get interesting this season...I dont know who will take these spots...theres to many players to list....

LCB: #14 Anthony Blue, 5-10, 180, So., Cedar Hill, Texas or #28 Eric Hagg, 6-1, 200, Jr., Peoria, Ariz.

SS: #4 Larry Asante, 6-1, 210, Sr., Alexandria, Va. or #13 P.J. Smith 6-2, 205, RFr., River Ridge, La. or #2 Major Culbert, 6-0, 205, Sr., Harbor City, Calif.

FS: #3 Rickey Thenarse, 6-0, 195, Sr., Los Angeles, Calif. or #12 Courtney Osborne, 6-3, 175, RFr., Garland, Texas

RCB: #6 Anthony West, 6-0, 200, Jr., San Diego, Calif. or #21 Prince Amukamara, 6-1, 195, Jr., Glendale, Ariz.

I'm pumped lets start the season right now!!! GO BIG RED!!!! :w00t

I think we'll see Dennard play quite a bit in the defensive backfield next year. He made some huge plays (actually tackling) on defensive special teams and in the few times he sniffed the field on defense, he was always in the mix. He's fast enough to return kicks, so we know he has the speed to play D plus he has a knack for finding the ball. He'll definitely get some reps next year.

Yeah it is too bad he didn't get to RS this past season. Kind of a wasted year.

I am very happy, for selfish reasons, that Suh is coming back for his senior year. I remember how people were dogging him earlier in the year (i.e. personal fouls) against Vtech. He really came on strong this year. In my opinion, with Suh, Pierre Allen and turner back, we should have a solid D-line. In fact, should be the strongest area on our team.

I remember the 50 front we used to run. Then, everyone said we upgraded the speed, thus 93, 94, 95 teams were awesome. We should have had the triple crown, but I digress. We moved personnel around and BAM!!! Moved safeties to outside backers, to the ends and it was GAME OVER. I see alot of teams using hybrid types. Safeties/Backers to help with speed at the second level. If dillard stays healthy, big concern of mine, what do you all think about moving Asante to OLB?? Just a thought. I don't know too much about the up and coming guys. But, Asante can hit and has speed to get to the outside. He can definitely cover rb's coming out the backfield. If we can produce unbelievable pressure, that would take the heat off the secondary. Which to me, is a weak area. We do have West and some other guys, but relentless pursuit and blitzes can negate any offense. Bo has the know how to do it. Asante could be another Terrel Farley or Jamel Williams. I just see our defense being huge next year. To go from 100 or so in the country to 60th or so, is a big jump in one year. I did see the progress all year. Hell, clemson had a lot of speed, and we got it done.

Big question mark on offense. With that being said. I see a heavy dose of running. We need to run straight at people. Eliminate the stretch run and have those big ol boys up front lean on some folks. We need a breakway running back also. I thought helu was fast, until I saw the Iowa State game. Looked like he needed to unhook the plow. Castille is a bruiser, but speedburner, don't know. By the way, do we have a fullback??? It would be nice to see a fullback again. Create a lead blocker and watch what happens. No more fancy shift right and shift left, just line up and hit someone.

Overall, very satisfied with the team this year. Effort was there. They got it going later in the season. there will be some struggles. But dammit, I can't let it go. We beat Ttech and Vtech, we are looking at a damn good season. Oh by the way, we lost Turner, Dillard and Glenn. Coulda, shoulda, woulda!!!!!!

I appreciate any feedback. This board has been good therapy for me. Especially after Callahan.

One more thing....don't worry about ESPN and all the so called experts. We start winning, shutting people down, the respect will come. Right now, the entire Big 12 is under assault. Mount up boys!!!

Out!

USC don't do that! They had 220-230 safeties, 260 and 255 LBs and had teh best defense in the nation!

Our d-line should be good. Just imagine how ridiculous it would look to have Big Suh line up next to Big Steinkuhler. Very intimidating assuming Baker has good technique as a redshirt freshman.

Linebackers is the number one thing I am most interesting in seeing (this includes the QB). I had heard that after yanking him off the offense and inserting him at the linebacker position, Reed is tearing it up. It is true what they say: you have to convince your greatest offensive players to switch over to play defense in order to have a great defense. I think it will be Whaley, Compton/Dillard, and Reed.

And as far as special teams go, well, they should also get better with all of these redshirts getting on the field. It hurt us a fair amount last year not having some of them on the field to help out, but in the long run, redshirting these individuals will be very beneficial.

Can't wait for college football to start again!

The Nebraska Blackshirts are going to be out for the kill in '09.

As far as the '09 Offense goes, remember when Tommie Frazier was an unknown out of Florida who was coming to Nebraska to play? I think the possibilites of the 2009 Offense are endless. The Defense will do thier part, and I think the coaches will work on the Offensive strong points and in conditioning this Spring, they're gonna turn the young men into powerhouses.

At Nebraska it's been about skilled players, but not just what they bring to the table, it's also about how the coaches mold them into something incredible. Also, the way the Cornhuskers always gel as a team says alot about them too. No Fears.

I am very happy, for selfish reasons, that Suh is coming back for his senior year. I remember how people were dogging him earlier in the year (i.e. personal fouls) against Vtech. He really came on strong this year. In my opinion, with Suh, Pierre Allen and turner back, we should have a solid D-line. In fact, should be the strongest area on our team.

I remember the 50 front we used to run. Then, everyone said we upgraded the speed, thus 93, 94, 95 teams were awesome. We should have had the triple crown, but I digress. We moved personnel around and BAM!!! Moved safeties to outside backers, to the ends and it was GAME OVER. I see alot of teams using hybrid types. Safeties/Backers to help with speed at the second level. If dillard stays healthy, big concern of mine, what do you all think about moving Asante to OLB?? Just a thought. I don't know too much about the up and coming guys. But, Asante can hit and has speed to get to the outside. He can definitely cover rb's coming out the backfield. If we can produce unbelievable pressure, that would take the heat off the secondary. Which to me, is a weak area. We do have West and some other guys, but relentless pursuit and blitzes can negate any offense. Bo has the know how to do it. Asante could be another Terrel Farley or Jamel Williams. I just see our defense being huge next year. To go from 100 or so in the country to 60th or so, is a big jump in one year. I did see the progress all year. Hell, clemson had a lot of speed, and we got it done.

Big question mark on offense. With that being said. I see a heavy dose of running. We need to run straight at people. Eliminate the stretch run and have those big ol boys up front lean on some folks. We need a breakway running back also. I thought helu was fast, until I saw the Iowa State game. Looked like he needed to unhook the plow. Castille is a bruiser, but speedburner, don't know. By the way, do we have a fullback??? It would be nice to see a fullback again. Create a lead blocker and watch what happens. No more fancy shift right and shift left, just line up and hit someone.

Overall, very satisfied with the team this year. Effort was there. They got it going later in the season. there will be some struggles. But dammit, I can't let it go. We beat Ttech and Vtech, we are looking at a damn good season. Oh by the way, we lost Turner, Dillard and Glenn. Coulda, shoulda, woulda!!!!!!

I appreciate any feedback. This board has been good therapy for me. Especially after Callahan.

One more thing....don't worry about ESPN and all the so called experts. We start winning, shutting people down, the respect will come. Right now, the entire Big 12 is under assault. Mount up boys!!!

Out!

USC don't do that! They had 220-230 safeties, 260 and 255 LBs and had teh best defense in the nation!

SC has the athletes. I was merely suggesting a move similar to the 90's to help bring much needed speed. You can't compare our defense with SC. Apples and oranges my friend. But to have a 6'3 230 pound safety, running a 4.2 (Mays), is like finding the holy grail.

Out!

You are right to mention that. But you can't compare apples and oranges. They have tremendous athletes and we are struggling with that right now. So why not make minor adjustments until we get those 230 pound safeties?? By the way, Taylor Mays is a freak of nature. 6'3, running a 4.2, is absurd. He's a beast!

The thing I'm most excited for I feel we have a lot more depth this year which will mean mores subs I know carl likes to sub less than most on his defense but with more depth on the front 7 we will be able to sub more than we did last year and get some fresh bodies in there

I think we will see more frequent subs this year. The staff was limited in subs this past season due to the lack of depth, there simply weren't a whole lot of options. Some of that was self-imposed with all of the redshirts, but that was a calculated gamble Bo and Co. made and it looks like it is going to pay off.

The thing I'm most excited for I feel we have a lot more depth this year which will mean mores subs I know carl likes to sub less than most on his defense but with more depth on the front 7 we will be able to sub more than we did last year and get some fresh bodies in there

I think we will see more frequent subs this year. The staff was limited in subs this past season due to the lack of depth, there simply weren't a whole lot of options. Some of that was self-imposed with all of the redshirts, but that was a calculated gamble Bo and Co. made and it looks like it is going to pay off.

They were planning for the future which is something I'm very happy to see. I mean, I'm all for playing a guy as a true freshman if he is playing phenomenally (Ahman Green), but if a player could benefit from a year in the system as a redshirt then I'm all for it. It can only help us.