SIGNED ATH Bronson Marsh

A lot of people are already bashing Marsh and Bo for making the offer. IF this is a greyshirt offer then I don't see the issue. Bo has a history of taking fringe players like Marsh and making them good to great players. Craig Steltz at LSU in 2007 and Matt O'Hanlon are great examples of this. If Bo likes this young man's potential enough to offer him a scholarship in a year that NU will be able to take roughly 25-27 players, then I don't see the issue.

I don't know why anyone would be bashing the decision to offer him the grayshirt. It doesn't count against this years scholies and there's a lot to be said about offering in-state kids. I think this situation is what makes Husker football so unique and special.

Alot to be said for offering in-state kids? Such as .. ? Entitlement due to current residence and place of birth?

IBWT No one has any right to question Bo Pelini. He has put us back in the national spotlight. If he wants to offer a fully scolly/grayshirt, that is his/the staffs call.

Who was questioning the offer? Somebody said "there's a lot to be said about offering in-state kids", Wille is right, in state kids have no magical powers. It may be a feel good feeling people get, but you think Stoops, Tressel or Meyer offer a less talented in state kid because "there's a lot to be said about offering in-state kids"? Of course they don't!

TO did offer some more in state kids then Bo, no doubt, but at the same time TO had more scholarships to give and less competition in the Big 8 than Bo does in the Big 12.

A lot of people are already bashing Marsh and Bo for making the offer. IF this is a greyshirt offer then I don't see the issue. Bo has a history of taking fringe players like Marsh and making them good to great players. Craig Steltz at LSU in 2007 and Matt O'Hanlon are great examples of this. If Bo likes this young man's potential enough to offer him a scholarship in a year that NU will be able to take roughly 25-27 players, then I don't see the issue.

I don't know why anyone would be bashing the decision to offer him the grayshirt. It doesn't count against this years scholies and there's a lot to be said about offering in-state kids. I think this situation is what makes Husker football so unique and special.

Alot to be said for offering in-state kids? Such as .. ? Entitlement due to current residence and place of birth?

IBWT No one has any right to question Bo Pelini. He has put us back in the national spotlight. If he wants to offer a fully scolly/grayshirt, that is his/the staffs call.

Who was questioning the offer? Somebody said "there's a lot to be said about offering in-state kids", Wille is right, in state kids have no magical powers. It may be a feel good feeling people get, but you think Stoops, Tressel or Meyer offer a less talented in state kid because "there's a lot to be said about offering in-state kids"? Of course they don't!

TO did offer some more in state kids then Bo, no doubt, but at the same time TO had more scholarships to give and less competition in the Big 8 than Bo does in the Big 12.

Copy of the post sentence above.

A lot of people are already bashing Marsh and Bo for making the offer.

That is why I said, no one should question Bo Pelini.

cave, if this is a walk-on offer, I don't see the issue. A grayshirt is equal to a scholarship offer for next year's recruiting cycle. Many people felt that Bronson was a walk-on candidate who didn't merit an offer this year...delaying that another year doesn't change much.

If this were a "preferred walk-on" offer, that would be different...

Actually delaying it a year does change the situation a whole lot. The big reason, at least from I can discern from the multitude of posts bashing both Marsh and Bo, is that they don't want an offer to Marsh to preclude the staff from taking Owa, Cooper, or Carnes because we all know that scholarships are tight this year. However if Marsh Greyshirts then he doesn't count towards the 85 until 2011, that year Bo should have anywhere from 25-27 spots available. That is a decent sized class that allows the coaches to take a flier on a player or two because space isn't necessarily as much of an issue. Doing it this ensures that the staff can still take Owa, Cooper, and Carnes if all 3 want to come to NU. Heck the staff may have room still for Simek or Fulton if that is in the cards, Marsh doesn't affect these young men one way or the other. That is why I don't see the big issue here IF it is indeed a greyshirt offer.

Yes, it changes the situation in exactly the way you describe. I just don't see that as a very significant difference.

If Marsh isn't taking away a spot from a guy this year, then he's taking away a spot from a guy next year. Regardless of how many spots are available, I don't like seeing scholarships thrown around just 'cos. In the end, all 85 scholarships we have aren't a whole lot; every one is valuable. If Bronson is the type of talent where you say "Well, we'll take Cooper and Owa over him, but dang - wish we had a couple more spaces of room", then a grayshirt is fine. But AFAIK, that's not the case. He's a walk-on grade prospect, which is fine, but he grades that way in any class. And throwing out offers to walk-on grade prospects isn't something you want to be doing a whole lot, or even at all...I mean, we have a really great walk-on program and everything that has turned out good players who earn scholarships eventually. That doesn't mean those are the kind of players we want to recruit as scholarship kids out of HS.

There's something to be said for a player wanting to play for Nebraska simply because it's nebraska and has been his dream. That kid will work hard. Motivating college kids can be an adventure at times...

Bo knows how to motivate, being from Nebraska means little to nothing in that regards. The kids who are getting scholarships to NU now were mostly 5-6 years old when TO hung it up and there were many stories of Nebraska boys who made it and played for a champion. They remember 62-36, 70-10, Clownihan. Bo is reversing that, but that is the reality.

I agree.

I don't think it's an issue of him being too low in ratings, I think it's more because Bo wanted him on the team and we only have 3 more scholarships in this class. Bronson is the most likely to take the greyshirt of our remaining recruits and therefore was offered it. If this class was larger, I'm sure he would have been offered.

Copy of the post sentence above.

A lot of people are already bashing Marsh and Bo for making the offer.

That is why I said, no one should question Bo Pelini.

Dont eva' question Bo Pelini!

christopher_walken1.jpg

I don't think it's an issue of him being too low in ratings, I think it's more because Bo wanted him on the team and we only have 3 more scholarships in this class. Bronson is the most likely to take the greyshirt of our remaining recruits and therefore was offered it. If this class was larger, I'm sure he would have been offered.

Or that Tom wanted him on the team.

I don't know sometimes.

I thought I also read earlier that T.O. gave his word that he'd help find a slot for him some where. Maybe this is that slot...just thinking out loud

so...you're going with the TO as puppet master theory, forcing bo into the "nebraska way"?

edit: looks like you're not alone in your theory.

i think it's clear that bo does things his way. i also think tom's made it clear that he only offers help when asked.

Edited by dylan