SIGNED RB Aaron Green

Quite frankly, it's smart to wait it out and see how we do this season before you pull the trigger. Maybe he's got a head on his shoulders and knows that the season will illuminate more about each team and give him a better perspective. No reason to pull the trigger if we morph our offense or our O-line looks like he will get killed here.

I agree. Against good teams we more than struggeled on offense. There is no reason for a top tier running back to commit until the talk of improvement is demonstrated on the field. Green is not the sort of recuit that wants to be surrounded by players who are not capable of showcasing his ability.

If we don't look good on offense in conference play next year I would doubt that all of the connections we have with the young man matter, he will go elsewhere with the NFL his prime goal.

To close the deal it's all on the "O". If we don't play well on that side of the ball, we'd be better to branch out to other possible RBs and forget about a signing day committment. For us, his late decision is the only way I think we stand a chance of signing him...after we show him vast improvement.

Quite frankly, it's smart to wait it out and see how we do this season before you pull the trigger. Maybe he's got a head on his shoulders and knows that the season will illuminate more about each team and give him a better perspective. No reason to pull the trigger if we morph our offense or our O-line looks like he will get killed here.

I agree. Against good teams we more than struggeled on offense. There is no reason for a top tier running back to commit until the talk of improvement is demonstrated on the field. Green is not the sort of recuit that wants to be surrounded by players who are not capable of showcasing his ability.

If we don't look good on offense in conference play next year I would doubt that all of the connections we have with the young man matter, he will go elsewhere with the NFL his prime goal.

To close the deal it's all on the "O". If we don't play well on that side of the ball, we'd be better to branch out to other possible RBs and forget about a signing day committment. For us, his late decision is the only way I think we stand a chance of signing him...after we show him vast improvement.

i think you underestimate the importance of relationships in recruiting.

as far as last year goes, despite the many problems we had on offense, we still ran for over 200 yards against vatech and arizona, both of which i would consider "good" teams. as long as we keep winning and committing to a strong running game, i think we'll be in good shape for this kid.

• Fire 3

relationships - as in our coaches relationship with him and/or his brother playing for NU? (or the coeds we surrounded him with while he visited for the spring game) If the kid plans on waiting until signing day I think you are OVERestimating the value of those relationships. (in green's case) Our coaches have been recruiting green for 2 years now, his brother has been here for 2 years, and in those same 2 years our offense has been anemic. Nothing is going to change over the next 9 months in regards to our relationships. They are about as strongly in our favor as it gets. But, he's planning on waiting so he is looking for something else, something beyond the relationships.

The only thing that can change over the next 9 months making his decision clearer is with other schools, or our offense. Other schools that haven't had the time to build a relationship with him will be moving in. 9 months is more than enough time. Our offense will either be pathetic or anemic. That could work in our favor both ways, you just don't know how he's going to look at it. If Rex dominates (in addition to Helu), and Heard gets in there for 50 carries for 350 yards...Aaron might see the cupboard as stocked, or he might see the BCS win and know that NU is back. If our offense is a variation of 2009 he might see himself as the missing link, rise to the challenge, competition, all that crap.

Either way none of us really know, but personally after 2 years I'd think he'd know enough about NU to commit if there wasn't something else he's looking for...or at least wanting to confirm that the offensive identity he's been sold thus far is actually in the cards for 2010 and beyond. At this point it's not about relationships - we've played that hand perfectly...it's about the offense, one way or the other.

relationships - as in our coaches relationship with him and/or his brother playing for NU? (or the coeds we surrounded him with while he visited for the spring game) If the kid plans on waiting until signing day I think you are OVERestimating the value of those relationships. (in green's case) Our coaches have been recruiting green for 2 years now, his brother has been here for 2 years, and in those same 2 years our offense has been anemic. Nothing is going to change over the next 9 months in regards to our relationships. They are about as strongly in our favor as it gets. But, he's planning on waiting so he is looking for something else, something beyond the relationships.

The only thing that can change over the next 9 months making his decision clearer is with other schools, or our offense. Other schools that haven't had the time to build a relationship with him will be moving in. 9 months is more than enough time. Our offense will either be pathetic or anemic. That could work in our favor both ways, you just don't know how he's going to look at it. If Rex dominates (in addition to Helu), and Heard gets in there for 50 carries for 350 yards...Aaron might see the cupboard as stocked, or he might see the BCS win and know that NU is back. If our offense is a variation of 2009 he might see himself as the missing link, rise to the challenge, competition, all that crap.

Either way none of us really know, but personally after 2 years I'd think he'd know enough about NU to commit if there wasn't something else he's looking for...or at least wanting to confirm that the offensive identity he's been sold thus far is actually in the cards for 2010 and beyond. At this point it's not about relationships - we've played that hand perfectly...it's about the offense, one way or the other.

...or maybe he just enjoys the recruiting process. maybe he wants to take his official visits for kicks (i know i would). maybe he wants to have a high ranking and knows committing late is the way to get it. i have no idea whether we'll get this kid, i just thought it was silly to assume that what happens on the field this fall will be the biggest factor in his decision making. as i said above though, it will obviously help our cause to continue winning and running.

He's making sure that he has all the information he needs to make the best choice for himself and his wants/needs. I have no problems with that, he doesn't need to commit right this second. And besides isn't that what Bo has been preaching to every single recruit he's talked to? Don't go with a gut reaction, get all the information you can and then make the decision.

...or maybe he just enjoys the recruiting process. maybe he wants to take his official visits for kicks (i know i would). maybe he wants to have a high ranking and knows committing late is the way to get it. i have no idea whether we'll get this kid, i just thought it was silly to assume that what happens on the field this fall will be the biggest factor in his decision making. as i said above though, it will obviously help our cause to continue winning and running.

Maybe, but that goes into the section of "other schools building a relationship". Nothing good can come from him visiting another school. He isn't going to go visit Florida and walk away saying Nebraska is so much better. He won't walk USC's campus for a weekend and come back home thinking how great Nebraska is in comparison. We have strong facilities, but where we once stool head and shoulders over the competition we are mearly even today. The campus, well that's not even really arguable. The longer this drags on, the less of a chance we have to get that verbal. What more can we do to recruit him? He's probably been on campus 5-10 times. We've set the bar for every other school, but we've also set the bar for ourselves as well. We have nothing more to offer him. It is what it is, if you aren't 100% sure, don't committ. Well, if he's not 100% sure today, there is little more we can do to make him 100% sure tomorrow. (outside of our offense going out and dominating the way he's been sold to think it should)

I personally don't think it's "silly" to assume that what happens on the field has a major affect on a recruit's decision making. That, right now, is the SINGLE biggest factor in our defensive recruiting. VERY FEW recruits consider NU without mentioning Suh and Bo's dominant defense. They want to play for a dominant defensive team, where they can showcase their skills and win games. An offensive recruit is no different - in fact it's probably even more important to them.

Not saying he won't commit. I hope to hell he does. Maybe he want's that 5th star, maybe he wants to take his 5 visits. But remember...that is the same thing that we bash on other recruits for doing - so don't annoint Green the almighty and make him the exception. That 5th star means nothing on the field, that's for his ego. Those 5 visits are going to be a lot less fun than New Orleans in 2012, or Miami in 2013. He wants to see LSU, Florida, USC, etc? I'm sure Bo can take him for a visit to the Florida schools when we have some extra time around our Orange Bowl appearance, or to see LSU before the Sugar Bowl or BCS Championship game. By 2013 he might be playing in the Big10 and then he can see the CA schools right before we beat down on the Pac10 in the Rose Bowl. Those "official visits" are fun for a few days, the steak tastes good - but commit to NU and he'll be seeing plenty of cool campuses...and going away with a big win is a lot more enjoyable than going away with bag full of promises and another offer letter in hand.

Maybe, but that goes into the section of "other schools building a relationship". Nothing good can come from him visiting another school. He isn't going to go visit Florida and walk away saying Nebraska is so much better. He won't walk USC's campus for a weekend and come back home thinking how great Nebraska is in comparison. We have strong facilities, but where we once stool head and shoulders over the competition we are mearly even today. The campus, well that's not even really arguable. The longer this drags on, the less of a chance we have to get that verbal. What more can we do to recruit him? He's probably been on campus 5-10 times. We've set the bar for every other school, but we've also set the bar for ourselves as well. We have nothing more to offer him. It is what it is, if you aren't 100% sure, don't committ. Well, if he's not 100% sure today, there is little more we can do to make him 100% sure tomorrow. (outside of our offense going out and dominating the way he's been sold to think it should)

I personally don't think it's "silly" to assume that what happens on the field has a major affect on a recruit's decision making. That, right now, is the SINGLE biggest factor in our defensive recruiting. VERY FEW recruits consider NU without mentioning Suh and Bo's dominant defense. They want to play for a dominant defensive team, where they can showcase their skills and win games. An offensive recruit is no different - in fact it's probably even more important to them.

Not saying he won't commit. I hope to hell he does. Maybe he want's that 5th star, maybe he wants to take his 5 visits. But remember...that is the same thing that we bash on other recruits for doing - so don't annoint Green the almighty and make him the exception. That 5th star means nothing on the field, that's for his ego. Those 5 visits are going to be a lot less fun than New Orleans in 2012, or Miami in 2013. He wants to see LSU, Florida, USC, etc? I'm sure Bo can take him for a visit to the Florida schools when we have some extra time around our Orange Bowl appearance, or to see LSU before the Sugar Bowl or BCS Championship game. By 2013 he might be playing in the Big10 and then he can see the CA schools right before we beat down on the Pac10 in the Rose Bowl. Those "official visits" are fun for a few days, the steak tastes good - but commit to NU and he'll be seeing plenty of cool campuses...and going away with a big win is a lot more enjoyable than going away with bag full of promises and another offer letter in hand.

Great discussion you guys got going on. I think you both make great points.

dylan, I am 100% with you that maybe he just wants to take all his officials. If I had offers to everywhere to play high level CF, I'd take as many visit as humanly possible. I'd love to go get a tour of USC's, Texas, Florida's, etc. weight rooms, locker rooms, players lounge. I mean why the heck not! Even if I was leaning one way or the other, I'd still probably take them

kc, you are spot on that just about all we have left to prove (or all we can prove) to AG is that we will be a dang good team year in year out. If we make the Big12 championship game again and possibly win, I highly doubt AG goes anywhere else. If we take a step back this year, we could very well lose the kid. You also make a very good point with "facilities being head and shoulders better in the past." The gap has definitely shrunk here. We still have the best but there are some many other schools that have comparable everything with probably better campuses. The other thing is that most of the schools that now compare are the top notch football schools.

I don't really agree with your take on visits while already playing for a school though.....When we go to other schools, the kids get there, practice, sleep, eat, play football, get on the bus/plane and go home. You don't spend time walking around campus getting internal tours of the football facilities (not to mention the female hosts). He'll travel yes, but I'm with dylan on taking visits. You can't fault the kid for wanting get free flights, tours, and all around 5 :star treatment as a 17 year old.

I don't really agree with your take on visits while already playing for a school though.....When we go to other schools, the kids get there, practice, sleep, eat, play football, get on the bus/plane and go home. You don't spend time walking around campus getting internal tours of the football facilities (not to mention the female hosts). He'll travel yes, but I'm with dylan on taking visits. You can't fault the kid for wanting get free flights, tours, and all around 5 :star treatment as a 17 year old.

yeah - should have dropped the :sarcasm in there on the visits while bowling. I was just pointing out that he'll get to CA, FL and other places plenty of times...and if he's N he'll leave feeling much better than the team he just visited :)

yeah - should have dropped the :sarcasm in there on the visits while bowling. I was just pointing out that he'll get to CA, FL and other places plenty of times...and if he's N he'll leave feeling much better than the team he just visited :)

Gotcha :thumbs

there is rivals teaser under the jesse hayes picture tht says new update on top rb.... im assuming its aaron green but anybody got any info?

It's old news. Refer to post #435 since that is what it is about.