Worst College Football Coaching Performances...

Bleacher Report posted their list of the The 11 Worst College Football Coaching Performances of the 21st Century.

Two familiar names.

# 9. Dennis Franchione, Texas A&M

and our old favorite....

# 4. Bill Callahan, Nebraska

"Twenty-two losses in four years. Legendary Cornhusker coach Bob Devaney lost only 20 games in his entire career at Nebraska. Frightening."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/181144-...he-21st-century

I think it is funny that this dude gives Charlie Weis and Karl Dorrell passes. Also I seem to remember someone on this board (name escapes me) saying that we should get a John L Smith type to coach us when Pud was looking for his guy. I think a case could also be made that Shula, Franchione, Smith, and DuBose should be higher then Billy C. Actually a lot of these guys could be tied for their level of failure.

SouthBayHusker Today, 10:38 AM Post #3

Travel Squad (101-300 Posts)

Group: Members

Member No.: 5673

Do we really need to debate this - bc makes #1 on any list in NEBRASKA - Let's just call them 4 years the DARK years and now the sun is rising with Pellini & Co.

I don't think you can put him at the number 1 spot, after all, he did have the great "F'ing hillbillies!" quote (that everyone, at least secretly agrees with) and the infamous/famous "throat slash".

BC sucked crap, god, what a terrible coach. I still feel dirty for thinking he could do a good job.

Teacher, although I completely understand your perspective of how losing seasons should never have occurred and he couldn't develop players for his life, you have to look at the one aspect he was good at. He doesn't deserve to be on this list but rather on the "considered" because of his recruiting abilities. Terrible coach but great recruiter. Many coaches on there have neither.

BC sucked crap, god, what a terrible coach. I still feel dirty for thinking he could do a good job.

Teacher, although I completely understand your perspective of how losing seasons should never have occurred and he couldn't develop players for his life, you have to look at the one aspect he was good at. He doesn't deserve to be on this list but rather on the "considered" because of his recruiting abilities. Terrible coach but great recruiter. Many coaches on there have neither.

Arrogance?

By all means, you have the right to call me arrogant. But would you really call the #5 class in the nation not great recruiting. Whatever he did, he sold Nebraska to recruits and he was able to do that well. I have hope that Pelini will be able to do the same within the next three years. I think that people look at Callahan and look at his record. Records don't tell the whole story. Although I hope that no one ever suffers from his terrible wrath as a bad head coach, from my perspective he would be a good OC at the college level. Getting back on topic, there are worse head coaches out there than Billy Callahan who aren't good in ANY aspect of coaching...cough cough Dan Hawkins cough cough......

By all means, you have the right to call me arrogant. But would you really call the #5 class in the nation not great recruiting. Whatever he did, he sold Nebraska to recruits and he was able to do that well. I have hope that Pelini will be able to do the same within the next three years. I think that people look at Callahan and look at his record. Records don't tell the whole story. Although I hope that no one ever suffers from his terrible wrath as a bad head coach, from my perspective he would be a good OC at the college level. Getting back on topic, there are worse head coaches out there than Billy Callahan who aren't good in ANY aspect of coaching...cough cough Dan Hawkins cough cough......

I don't believe he was calling you arrogant, he was calling Bill (I love me some me) Callahan arrogant. Anyway, this discussion= dedhoarse , but I'll bite. Sure, Callahan may be considered by some the "gurus" as a solid recruiter, but what good is a #5 class if you are incapable of developing that talent? I think we all know how that turned out for Cally... <_<

The "great recruiter" thing seems wrong to me, even if that "great talent" goes undeveloped the NFL is still going to draft that "great talent" because it is in fact "great talent". Well we saw what happend last NFL draft, NU players were avoided like the swine flu. With the exception of lineman who are usually not considered "great talents" and of course a RB who was out of position for 3 years.

I know people argue about the development and I understand that point. My point is that a talented kid will WANT to work hard no matter what, he will WANT to get better. To me, that is part of being talented. I personally believe that it is a talent to work hard and want to develop.

The "great recruiter" thing seems wrong to me, even if that "great talent" goes undeveloped the NFL is still going to draft that "great talent" because it is in fact "great talent". Well we saw what happend last NFL draft, NU players were avoided like the swine flu. With the exception of lineman who are usually not considered "great talents" and of course a RB who was out of position for 3 years.

I know people argue about the development and I understand that point. My point is that a talented kid will WANT to work hard no matter what, he will WANT to get better. To me, that is part of being talented. I personally believe that it is a talent to work hard and want to develop.

Mack Brown, Texas. He has the resources of the wealthiest state university in the nation. He has a high school system that produces more D1 players than any state. He plays in the biggest stadium and the biggest city in the Big 12, with the best weather and it is also VERY popular with young people and Hollywood types, yet he has 1 Big 12 title in 11 years! Do not make excuses for this guy and compare him to Osborne, because if Dr. Tom was in Austin rather than Lincoln, he would have had more than 3 MNC, more than likely. Most of the best Texas kids wanna play for Texas and play in the city with the great weather and atmosphere, yet he has 1 Big 12 title and the guy in Norman has 6 in 10 years, 9 seasons. The University of Texas with a competent HC should dominate and be top 3-5 EVERY year! Switzer was a great HC, but he did not have a great record vs Fred Akers when he was the UT coach in the late 70s and early 80s. Even Switzer said the Texas job was a better job than his Oklahoma job, because of all the advantages, yet Brown has 1 title in 11 years or 10 seasons. That is a SORRY record, because Texas is not like a Nebraska or Oklahoma, where they recruit nationally and have to bring kids across country and to places where the winters are harsh. Brown has a CUSH job and has done sub-par job given his talent and resource advantages.