Running up the Score

In the past few years we have suffered some of our most lopsided losses...Tech, KU, and last year OU hung 62 points on us. All three were embarrassing for our school.

If we are improved enough on both sides of the ball this year, do you think Bo will do the same to our Big 12 rivals? My gut tell me not. But then again if he wants to light a fire under the kid's a$$ how many points do you think he would hang on Mizzou to start off Big 12 play if he had the chance?

Now granted, the situation might not present itself like we hope it will. Maybe the MU game will be a dog fight, heck maybe we will lose, hahah yeah right.

But seriously we didn't demolish any teams this year. I have a feeling we will next year.

Your thoughts?

I don't think Nebraska will ever "run up the score" intentionally on opponents, I think we will just run our offense the way it is supposed to be run. When we were putting up ridiculous point totals in the 90's, we weren't intentionally trying to embarrass anyone, we just couldn't be stopped even when we ran our vanilla offense. We'll just run our offense, regardless of who we are playing and without vengeance. If we end up hanging 70, then good for us.

And, as far as those three lopsided losses go, I don't feel that any of those schools were like "let's keep going until we demolish the Huskers!" Our defenses could simply do nothing, and our offense in the OU loss kept turning the ball over early.

In the past few years we have suffered some of our most lopsided losses...Tech, KU, and last year OU hung 62 points on us. All three were embarrassing for our school.

If we are improved enough on both sides of the ball this year, do you think Bo will do the same to our Big 12 rivals? My gut tell me not. But then again if he wants to light a fire under the kid's a$$ how many points do you think he would hang on Mizzou to start off Big 12 play if he had the chance?

Now granted, the situation might not present itself like we hope it will. Maybe the MU game will be a dog fight, heck maybe we will lose, hahah yeah right.

But seriously we didn't demolish any teams this year. I have a feeling we will next year.

Your thoughts?

"Running up the score" is dependent upon the context of what occurs in the game isn't it? For example, if it's midway through the 4th Q, the score is 56-0 and the team who scored 56 points still has their starters in, are throwing the football on the opposition then yes that would be running up the score.

However, in the same scenario if the team which scored 56 points has the 2nd, 3rd or even 4th team guys in and they're still scoring then no I don't think that is considered to be "running it up."

I wouldn't mind seeing a few ESPN stories focusing on Nebraska stomping teams....so many times folks in the Husker Nation have said that we were "back." I don't see a return to dominance until we completely dominate teams...so yeah..run up the score...I'd love it...if the teams can't stop us....who cares..this isn't just a game...it's a business.

I remember in 1983 the Huskers hung like 70 points on us and they weren't even TRYING to run up the score! There were NU guys dropping passes and running out of bounds...walk-ons all over the place. Heck, I think I saw somebodies Mom in there on one series...guys were apologizing to us after the game..."Sorry man...but you guys suck so bad there wasn't nuthin we could do!"

Get it back to that level and you won't have to worry about people accusing you of "running up the score"

"Running up the score" is dependent upon the context of what occurs in the game isn't it? For example, if it's midway through the 4th Q, the score is 56-0 and the team who scored 56 points still has their starters in, are throwing the football on the opposition then yes that would be running up the score.

However, in the same scenario if the team which scored 56 points has the 2nd, 3rd or even 4th team guys in and they're still scoring then no I don't think that is considered to be "running it up."

Agreed

Instead of worrying about running up the score, I would just like to see us beat some one with a pulse by one point. When that happens we might think that a small baby step is taken to being on our way back.

I never see us doing what was done in the past. No one has been able to since we were doing it. College football has changed, there are no real power house teams like we were.

SC comes the closest and they lose games they should never lose. They do not totally destroy teams as we did.

Time to live in the present. We can become a good team, on occasion a great team, but the days of winning 3 out of 4 are over guys. I am happy to even be able to think we are turning the corner. Lets not get the cart ahead of the horse. We are a long ways off from being competive with the top ten teams in the country is my guess. To do what you are saying will require us to be in that elite level. Not this year.

Trying to run up the score is Busch league. I want the Huskers to beat teams up and take games over in the 4th quarter and pull away. The only time I think the Huskers had tried to run up the score was in 07 against KSU. I didn't mind it as much because of all the beatings we had taken that year and I can't stand KSU. Perhaps Callahan thought he needed to put up 70 to secure a victory at that point.

The KSU game of 2007 was a classic example of running up the score and looking classless. I think Tom held that game against Billy C even though we won.

I was like "Hey, this is Nebraska. It's bad enough that you are coaching us to terrible losses. Now you're making us look bad, even when we are winning. Way to go Billy C."

Not that I hold a grudge. LOL.

Your thoughts?

You still don't have the talent to run up the score OU, UT, or OSU. OU will take a BIG tumble because of the OL lacking depth and the defense not playing like it returned 9 of 11 starters.