How will Zac Lee perform this fall?

Quote from the article:

In his time at Colorado and Nebraska, Watson coached a number of guys right in Lee’s size, speed and skill range. Lee might have more raw talent than any of them except Craig Ochs, who played at CU for a couple years before transferring. Watson even compared Lee to Ochs during spring football.

-snip-

2000: Craig Ochs, 145-245 (59%) 1,788 yards, 7 TDs, 7 INTs, 106 rush yards, 4TDs

Consider me officially worried if Watson is comparing Lee to Ochs. Time in the system and the maturity level at Lee's age should (hopefully) make a big difference, of course. But, if our "raw but talented" QB is only able to get 11 total TD's this year, and tosses nearly as many ints, it will probably be a pretty dismal year.

No lie. If Watson was hoping to instill confidence in the husker faithful, that comparison may not have been the best to make in regards to Lee's overall ability. Hopefully the comment was to imply that the potential is there and that it will turn out better than Ochs did at sCUm.

A lot of people, including myself, say things about how Lee just needs to manage the offense, eliminate mistakes etc. and we will be fine. This, I believe is very true. However I think Lee may turn about to be a straight up baller. He tore it up as a JUCO and with some talent around him and solid O-line he could be awesome for us as well. I won't be shocked if he surprises everyone with his playmaking ability, and locks up 2010 starting spot as well. Who knows though, I was drinking the Jammal Lord Kool-Aid once upon a time too! GBR!!!

I like this.

Lee just needs to keep his head straight. With an unproven quarterback and wide receivers, we are going to have to rely on our running game and our defense to win games imho. I don't think it's too far a stretch to say that Helu gets 1200 yards this season, Castille will probably hover around the 400-500 like last year, and then we'll see some of the younger guys get PT (maybe even Burkhead, cause I don't see a whole lot of reason in redshirting him if he is as good as advertised). This is my prediction if they all stay healthy, especially Helu. Helu is the best back we've had since Buckhalter and some of the guys from the early 2000's. Jackson was good but given his limited role and the fact that he left early, I can't really put him in the great Nebraska running back category.

I think you nit the nail on the head with the rotation. This is also more than likely the reason Helu didn't make the top 25 backs. He's going to be rotated with more than likely a couple of other guys. He isn't going to get the rep's that it takes to get the stats to be a top 25 running back. It doesn't mean he isn't as good or better than those listed above him. It quite simply means he won't have the stats to run with the big boys.

I disagree with the whole rotation thing. A lot of teams rotate their running backs with the exception of a few. USC has like five backs, texas has a few, florida has a few along with tebow, oklahoma has two, va tech has two and taylor, clemson did have two, okie st rotates a couple backs and they have robinson. Some of the backs get more carries than others with some teams giving the top guy maybe 15-18 carries but that is the norm these days. I don't see how it is any different than helu seeing as how in the last four or five games he got right around that 20 carries a game stat. I don't see that changing next year with Castille emerging I just see us running the ball more. Maybe not to the same extent but I see the carries being split the way OU did last year. I see Helu getting about 18 carries a game with Castille getting about 15-18. Throw in about 5-8 by Lee and maybe 4-6 by our third back and you probably have a pretty solid base.

Zach Lee's performance doesn't have to be outstanding or even very good.

Zach Lee, in essence, needs to channel Trent Dilfer, meaning...just manage the game: hand the ball of to the RB's, don't force any throws that aren't there and when the defense puts the offense on a short field for a score-cash it in, or at a minimum get a FG.

Zach Lee, in essence, needs to channel Trent Dilfer, meaning...just manage the game: hand the ball of to the RB's, don't force any throws that aren't there and when the defense puts the offense on a short field for a score-cash it in, or at a minimum get a FG.

Did they have a sale on H's at the Extra Letter store, Jen? :lol:

I tend to agree, although I think Zac has some big plays in store for us, by his own creation or playmaking ability. But I like to think Helu and Castille provide enough of an offense to beat most teams outside of Lee. We shall see.

i agree with most of the posters who say that he just needs to let the game come to him.

but, it sounds like the kid is a "straight up balla" as the kids like to say. so if the staff can get his confidence going, he can make some plays.

hopefully blacksburg doesn't make him diarrhea all over the place. and yes, i used diarrhea as a verb.

i agree with most of the posters who say that he just needs to let the game come to him.

but, it sounds like the kid is a "straight up balla" as the kids like to say. so if the staff can get his confidence going, he can make some plays.

hopefully blacksburg doesn't make him diarrhea all over the place. and yes, i used diarrhea as a verb.

Zac Lee reminds me of Robinson at OSU, both are taylor made to run the Oregon spread option attack.

I know I don't post very often, but this thread is really noteworthy.

Many have said, and I think Jen said it best, that Lee needs to "manage the game." Don't force anything, lean on a solid running game, take advantage of the other teams mistakes... Shouldn't that be what EVERY QB should do? What does a QB do in an offense like ours to be "elite?" Should he throw for 3,000 and run for 500 and have 25+ total TDs? Is what Colt McCoy did so much different from what Joe did last year?

Will Watson call different plays because Lee throws harder than Ganz? Probably not. Will he call for the QB to run more option be cause he's faster? With unproven depth behind him, probably not.

So I'm curious on your thoughts as to what the difference is between what Joe did last year, and what Zac "should" do this year?

Zac Lee reminds me of Robinson at OSU, both are taylor made to run the Oregon spread option attack.

Except Robinson has a noodle arm....

Dude, seriously, what's with the love-fest for oSu? :facepalm:

I've been saying it a while now, but I think everyone will be surprised with Zac. No one really got to see what he is capable of during the Spring Game because of the green jersey.

The only thing he needs to really work on is to not rush things. Let the play develop, go through the reads, and if he doesn't see anything make a quick decision to tuck the ball and run it up field.

I've been saying it a while now, but I think everyone will be surprised with Zac. No one really got to see what he is capable of during the Spring Game because of the green jersey.

The only thing he needs to really work on is to not rush things. Let the play develop, go through the reads, and if he doesn't see anything make a quick decision to tuck the ball and run it up field.

I agree that we haven't seen anything near what Lee is capable of. People are talking about Washington taking over, and that's all well and good, but Lee is an impressive looking kid with (reputedly) a fair amount of skill. He looked decent passing in the Spring Game, and if he can simply manage the passing game while making positive yardage with his legs when necessary, he'll be more than fine.

I would bet he'll be somewhat shaky in the FAU game, simply because it's his first start, and by the time we lace it up for VA Tech, he'll be in full form, ready to go.

I guess my biggest concern (not that it'll necessarily happen) is that Lee will get happy feet too often early on and end up getting himself hurt. Making the reads when a 235 lb blitzing/snarling linebacker is barreling at you as fast as he can with the intent of seeing you in the hospital is a little different than knowing that Compton or Suh is just going to give your green jersey a little love tap.

But basically I agree with what everyone is saying. The offense is designed so that the quarterback doesn't have to be Tebow. Let Helu do most of the work, you've got McNeil as a safety blanket. Throw it deep when you have the shot. All will be well. I'm sure we'll notice a huge difference from September to November. Plenty of time for that chemistry to develop.