Stewart Mandel's Top Five Coaches, All Time

Forget about championships, winning percentages and bowl games. These, to me, are the sport's five most legendary coaches from a purely subjective standpoint:

1. Bryant: For a quarter-century (1958-82), his teams dominated the sport and his persona dominated the profession. We may never see that again.

2. Knute Rockne: Though he coached just 13 years, he singlehandedly created the Notre Dame dynasty, delivered the most famous locker-room speech in history and had a movie made about him. An estimated 300,000 people witnessed his funeral procession. He was kind of a big deal.

3. Paterno: It's impossible to truly comprehend that Penn State has had the same head football coach since 1966 -- and that he led the Nittany Lions to the Rose Bowl last year at 81. For much of his career, he also was the sport's most prominent voice on myriad moral and ethical issues.

4. Woody Hayes: He was the Bryant of the Midwest, a coach whose program's consistent dominance ceased only when Bo Schemebechler, a worthy rival, emerged during Hayes' latter years. Obviously, his legacy was to a degree forever tainted by that ghastly, final image.

5. Bud Wilkinson: His Sooners of the late '40s and '50s were arguably the sport's greatest dynasty, capturing 13 straight conference titles and three national titles and achieving an NCAA-record 47-game winning streak. Only his early retirement at age 47 precluded further greatness.

A few notable exclusions:

• Tom Osborne: On paper, one could argue he was every bit as accomplished (.836 winning percentage, three national titles, 24 top 15 finishes) as the five names above, but unfortunately, his more bland personality made it harder to leave a lasting impression on most non-Nebraskans.

• Bowden: He probably would have been on here had he retired in, say, 2002. His run of 14 straight top 4 finishes from 1987-2000 was Wilkinson-esque, but FSU's near-decade of mediocrity since has clearly dampened his legacy.

• Pop Warner and Amos Alonzo Stagg: As the sport's unofficial founding fathers, they're unquestionably legends, but having coached in an era pre-radio/television, only hardcore historians possess any lasting image of these gentlemen.

• Eddie Robinson, John Gagliardi and Tubby Raymond: It's hard enough comparing coaches from different eras, much less different levels. These guys deserve a list of their own.

That's my two cents. I'm sure many of you have your own, differing opinions -- and I'm sure I'm about to receive a whole bushel full of them.

I dropped him a note saying if he gigs Osborne for being "bland" then he has to do the same for Paterno. If Osborne is Vanilla, Paterno is French Vanilla.

Forget about championships, winning percentages and bowl games. These, to me, are the sport's five most legendary coaches from a purely subjective standpoint:

1. Bryant: For a quarter-century (1958-82), his teams dominated the sport and his persona dominated the profession. We may never see that again.

2. Knute Rockne: Though he coached just 13 years, he singlehandedly created the Notre Dame dynasty, delivered the most famous locker-room speech in history and had a movie made about him. An estimated 300,000 people witnessed his funeral procession. He was kind of a big deal.

3. Paterno: It's impossible to truly comprehend that Penn State has had the same head football coach since 1966 -- and that he led the Nittany Lions to the Rose Bowl last year at 81. For much of his career, he also was the sport's most prominent voice on myriad moral and ethical issues.

4. Woody Hayes: He was the Bryant of the Midwest, a coach whose program's consistent dominance ceased only when Bo Schemebechler, a worthy rival, emerged during Hayes' latter years. Obviously, his legacy was to a degree forever tainted by that ghastly, final image.

5. Bud Wilkinson: His Sooners of the late '40s and '50s were arguably the sport's greatest dynasty, capturing 13 straight conference titles and three national titles and achieving an NCAA-record 47-game winning streak. Only his early retirement at age 47 precluded further greatness.

• Tom Osborne: On paper, one could argue he was every bit as accomplished (.836 winning percentage, three national titles, 24 top 15 finishes) as the five names above, but unfortunately, his more bland personality made it harder to leave a lasting impression on most non-Nebraskans.

• Bowden: He probably would have been on here had he retired in, say, 2002. His run of 14 straight top 4 finishes from 1987-2000 was Wilkinson-esque, but FSU's near-decade of mediocrity since has clearly dampened his legacy.

• Pop Warner and Amos Alonzo Stagg: As the sport's unofficial founding fathers, they're unquestionably legends, but having coached in an era pre-radio/television, only hardcore historians possess any lasting image of these gentlemen.

• Eddie Robinson, John Gagliardi and Tubby Raymond: It's hard enough comparing coaches from different eras, much less different levels. These guys deserve a list of their own.

That's my two cents. I'm sure many of you have your own, differing opinions -- and I'm sure I'm about to receive a whole bushel full of them.

I dropped him a note saying if he gigs Osborne for being "bland" then he has to do the same for Paterno. If Osborne is Vanilla, Paterno is French Vanilla.

I disagree, Paterno is pretty candid and has been an outspoken personality for several issues in college football throughout the years. Osborne, albeit great, has a bland personality. My main objection on the list is Woody Hayes. Osborne and Bowden had better track records, and neither one of them punched an opposing player.

Paterno is a little more "saucy" when giving interviews, and maybe he was even more so a couple of decades ago, but recent interviews I've seen with him... meh. He's not lighting my world on fire. =)

I'm probably showing a little bias towards my home boy Osborne there, but Paterno has never really been exciting to me.

Interesting list. I am sure another reason Bowden is not on the list is b/c of the simple fact he cheated with ineligible players!

I am not sure about Hayes being on the list. I think Rockne is an easy historical choice with what he mentioned.

I also don't think we will see another Bryant b/c if there is, he will be put in jail for the way he treats players. He was a successful coach, but the way he went about it was a little questionable and would not be allowed at all now.

If TO would have gone a couple of more years and had success it would be very difficult to not put him on the list. Even though he has a "bland" personality, I still think he is one of the greats...

I disagree, Paterno is pretty candid and has been an outspoken personality for several issues in college football throughout the years. Osborne, albeit great, has a bland personality. My main objection on the list is Woody Hayes. Osborne and Bowden had better track records, and neither one of them punched an opposing player.

:yeah

The list is supposed to be the 5 most "iconic" college football coaches of all time. Mandel is simply saying that the personalities are important for "iconic" status. So it's a combination of coaching and public perception. I think Woody Hayes is on their because he IS an icon - his actions will live in infamy.

Let's see, Paterno has a losing record against top ten teams, an unimpressive record against top 20 teams, two national championships and a whopping THREE conference titles. Yeah he's a top coach alright. :sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm And about that "moral" thing? Look at the track record of some of his players lately.

Let's see, Paterno has a losing record against top ten teams, an unimpressive record against top 20 teams, two national championships and a whopping THREE conference titles. Yeah he's a top coach alright. :sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm And about that "moral" thing? Look at the track record of some of his players lately.

Not a Paterno appologist but - most of the time of Joe Pa's tenure PennSt was an independent. Kind of hard to win a title when you are not in a conference.

Nebraska owned Rockne in his heyday.

Rockne was not that great of a coach, he had a stretch of 5-6 years with exceptional players in a time that football was not filled with exceptional players like it is today. Today he'd be the equivalent of Mike Bellotti.