Helu Ran 4.25?

Thought I heard them discussing this on ESPN with Kurt Warner yesterday....That Usain Bolt was giving the NFL a try?

Could Olympic sprinter Bolt to the NFL?

Could Olympic sprinter Bolt to the NFL?

August 17, 2008 4:22 PM

Posted by ESPN.com' s Bill Williamson

As Jeremy Green and Ted Sundquist watched Jamaica's Usain Bolt win the 100-meters sprint at the Bejing Olympic games in a world record time of 9.69 seconds, the football men quickly had the same thought.

Could this guy be an NFL receiver?

Joe Klamar/AFP/Getty Images

He's certainly fast enough but would Jamaican runner Usain Bolt's speed translate as a NFL receiver?

They are both confident that was collective thought in 32 NFL buildings this morning. Even though he'd be a raw talent, Usain has two wonderful things going for him: He is the fastest human in the world and he stands 6-foot-5.

"I'm sure it's being talked about all over the league right now," said Sundquist, who was fired as the general manager of Denver in March. "The nature of the league is to be captivated by speed and size and this kid is blessed with both."

Here is how Green, of Scouts Inc., sees it: "We all go to the combine every year to look at receivers who are 5-11 and who run a 4.7 40. Why not this kid? I could see it."

If Bolt would have any interest in attempting to play football, these two longtime NFL men believe there would be interest. Bolt is 21 and would have time to learn the game.

"If this kid said he wanted to tryout out for the NFL and he traveled to Miami for a workout, I guarantee at least half the teams would send somebody to check him out," Green said. "I'd go. I wouldn't want to be the team to miss out on a guy like this if he panned out."

The idea of a sprinter playing in the NFL is not new. Sprinters like Bob Hayes, Renaldo Nehemiah, Willie Gault and James Jett all played in the NFL. In recent years, sprinter Justin Gatlin had several NFL workouts.

"It has happened before," Green said. "But none of those guys were as fast or as tall as Bolt is. It's a legitimate thought."

Still, both Green and Sundquist said while Bolt has a good start because of his size and speed, there would be plenty of work to do. He'd have to be able to catch the ball, learn to run routes, learn to block and be able to take a hit.

"It wouldn't necessarily be easy," Sundquist said. "Sprinters don't always translate to the NFL. By nature, a lot of sprinters are ginger."

Still, Sundquist went back to Bolt's size and speed.

"Maybe there's a team that tells him, 'Don't worry about it. Just run go routes. Just run as fast as you can and we'll throw you a deep ball,' " Sundquist said. "If that's the case, he could be dangerous. You can't deny his gifts. That's first thing you think of when you see him."

Usain Bolt and NFL combine 40 times

Posted by Doug on Thursday, August 21, 2008

Let me preface this by saying that almost every single word of what I’m about to write could potentially be incorrect. I don’t really know what I’m talking about. Possibly the most reliable source I’ve used here is Wikipedia, if that tells you anything.

But you guys will help correct me if I say something really stupid, right?

It all starts with a message board post from a guy I don’t know that I saw linked from another message board.

Usain Bolt’s splits during the Olympic 100m race

RT 0.165

10m 1.85

20m 2.87 (1.02)

30m 3.78 (0.91)

40m 4.65 (0.87)

50m 5.50 (0.85)

60m 6.32 (0.82)

70m 7.14 (0.82)

80m 7.96 (0.82)

90m 8.79 (0.83)

100m 9.69 (0.90)

30m is 32.8084 yards. So he needs to cover 7.1916 more yards from there.

He ran from 30m to 40m in .87 seconds, or .087 seconds per meter, or .0795528 seconds per yard. But he wasn’t at top speed yet. So the first 7 yards of that would have been slightly slower than the average of the full ten meters, but faster than the .0832 seconds per yard at which he ran from meter 20 to meter 30. So let’s say he averaged a nice round .08 seconds per yard. Multiply that by 7.1916 and you get .575. Add that to his 30m split and you’re at 4.35 or 4.36.

So unless I’ve done something wrong, we have the following:

At 40 yards of the actual Olympic 100m race, Bolt was at 4.35 or 4.36

But wait…

His reaction time was .165. My understanding is that the combine 40 is timed from the runner’s actual start rather than from a gun. So if this were in an NFL combine setting, that reaction time would be gone and he’d be at 4.19.

But wait…

There are no starting blocks at the NFL combine. And my understanding is that this particular Olympic track is the fastest around. Those two things would push his NFL combine time up over 4.2, maybe up to 4.25 or even 4.3.

But wait…

If he were training specifically for the 40, he might be able to do some things somewhat differently to shave a few hundredths off.

I hereby declare that Bolt would run a 4.22 at the combine.

Chris Johnson ran a 4.24 at this year’s combine. Does that make my Bolt estimate seem too high? Or does it mean that the timing at the combine is inexact or inconsistent or just plain generous? Could be either one — or both — but I’m not totally sure the two figures are incompatible. It was around the halfway point that Bolt really blew everyone else away; I don’t even think he was leading at 40 yards. So it’s not clear to me that Chris Johnson couldn’t hang close to him for 40 yards.

My brother just timed me, I ran a 4.35, really... :)

You got any eligibility left? :lol:

I heard that about Bolt going to the NFL. I don't see a downside, although he would make most NFL receivers look humble with that ego of his. Dude is fast and I've heard he can jump, so that's a portion of the skills he would need. He'll have to have it between the ears as well, and he'll have to have very good hands. Plus he'll have to have the courage to take the hits a WR takes at that level.

That's a lot of "ifs" when you're talking about a guy who's never come close to that level of football.

Fastest 40-Yard Dash Times Ever

BESTS

Tags: 40, yard, dash, times, ever, world record, speed, best, forty, run, NFL, NBA, MLB, basketball, baseball, Lebron James, Reggie Bush, Ted Ginn, Devin Hester

These are some of the fastest 40-yard dash times we could discover. Most of these athletes are football players (unless otherwise noted), b/c they have official times recorded at combines. If you hear anymore official (or semi-official, since there is no real world record), add them to the list:

Ted Ginn Jr. (4.06)

Alexander Wright (4.09)

Michael Bennett (4.13)

Bo Jackson (4.14)

DeAngelo Hall (4.15)

Darrell Green (4.15)

Lavernaues Coles (4.16)

Deion Sanders (4.17) - and MLB

Maurice Greene (4.21) - track

Joey Galloway (4.18)

Ahman Green (4.19)

Laveranues Coles (4.2)

Don Beebe (4.21)

Donte Stallworth (4.22)

Ryan Dotson (4.24)

Michael Vick (4.25)

Randy Moss (4.25)

Willie Parker (4.23)

BGW (4.23)

Devin Hester (4.24)

Champ Bailey (4.28)

Willis McGahee (4.28)

Stanford Routt (4.29)

Fabian Washington(4.29)

Michael Jordan (4.3) - NBA

Reggie Bush (4.33)

Darren McFadden (4.33)

Lebron James (4.4) - NBA

Flash (4.43) - Super Hero

http://www.listafterlist.com

I'm throwing this :bs:

Even Ahman never came close to a 4.25 while at Nebraska.

that's because then they ran on the turf, now they run on a track. He ran sub 4.25 in the NFL, and would have the 100 m state record by more than .4 if not for wind aid.

and THIS :bs: !!!!!

Very good friend of mine was a scout for the Packers at the time, he was timed at 4.19 hand-held during a workout. I was also at the meet where this took place. So take your BS flag and........

nevermind, not important.

I have heard for many years that 40 timing is a sales gimmick.

None are real unless you are really slow.

Bolt would be at his highest acceleration at the 40. He would not be taking his time to get there. The first 20 meters are the time of head down pure all out acceration.

Thinking some of these football players are faster than that man is insane.

I mentioned this the last time it was brought up, I am glad someone actually put up the numbers.

You add it to where they are running 4.50 and you are pretty near where all the top one really are at.

Botl is a freak, and there are no college or pro players that would even be close.

As big of Husker fans as there are on this board, and I am one of the biggest, I'm curious to know if anyone else has EVER heard of Ahman Green running a time like that? There are maybe a handful of players in the entire league that can run a 4.25 40 yard dash. I'll keep my BS flag out and continue to wave it in your face thank you! I also edited my earlier post to show that I was only flagging the 4.25, not the track meet thing.

All of them are BS. It is for marketing of the player and the NFL.

We are talking the fastest man in the history of the world not being as fast as Helu. Give me a break.

Not being as fast as 20 players in the NFL or College, not a chance.

This timing crap has been BS since it started it seems to me.

All of them are BS. It is for marketing of the player and the NFL.

We are talking the fastest man in the history of the world not being as fast as Helu. Give me a break.

Not being as fast as 20 players in the NFL or College, not a chance.

This timing crap has been BS since it started it seems to me.

All I care about is whether he is running faster than the guys behind him

Guys, the numbers for Usain Bolt are incredibly inaccurate.

If Maurice Greene, former world record holder in the 100 at 9.79 ran a 4.21 (which he did, it is in his autobiography) wouldn't it stand to reason that the guy that beat his PR by over .2 seconds in 100m would at least run the same time as him in the 40?

Use commons sense, no way Bolt is as slow as the numbers said in this post.

For Christ sake, I ran a 4.45 electronic, and my PR in the 100 was 10.7 electronic when I ran in college. Bolt a full 1.12 seconds faster than me in the 100m so it only stands to reason he would be remarkably faster in the 40, right?

Also keep in mind that these are electronic times and Ahman's time was hand-held. Electronic timing adds .15-.19 seconds onto your time for human reaction time, I forget the actual conversion that is used but they have a set number for track records.

edit: spelling