Castille..

Nebraska junior running back Quentin Castille, who rushed for 505 yards and six touchdowns – including 125 yards in the Gator Bowl – has been kicked off the team for violation of team rules, head coach Pelini announced after Saturday’s practice.

“We have guidelines, we have policies set up here, we have a culture set up here,” Pelini said. “It’s pretty black and white my expectations that we lay out as a staff, and if somebody doesn’t follow those policies and guidelines, they’re no longer going to be with the program. And that’s the case with Quentin.

“I wish him luck. He’s a good kid. He’s just not going to be with our program any more.”

Pelini did not elaborate on the team rules violated. He said he made the decision without the assistance of the Unity Council. Castille had been at practice the last two days watching in a t-shirt and shorts, but wasn’t at practice Saturday. He was spotted outside Memorial Stadium, however, wearing Husker gear.

Castille’s dismissal likely means a bigger load to carry for junior Roy Helu, who rushed for 803 yards and seven touchdowns last year while splitting time with Castille and the now-graduated Marlon Lucky. On Friday, Helu said he believed Castille was being held out for the same reason Helu had been held out earlier in the week – “doing some recovery stuff like I was doing.”

Receivers coach Ted Gilmore gave a “no comment” when asked Friday. Only Pelini typically addresses such issues, and he hasn’t spoken with the media as a group since Wednesday.

Castille spent about three weeks training with his uncle in Atlanta. Pelini was asked about his status with the team at Big 12 Media Days; Pelini responded then that Castille had a “good summer.”

On July 27, Castille pleaded no contest to an April charge that he had failed to deliver a state title on a vehicle he had purchased. He was ordered to pay a small fine. There was briefly a warrant out for Castille’s arrest in June, which was rescinded when Castille appeared in court.

LINK

Its all specualtaion as we wait for coach Pelini to address the situation. I was very anxious to see the one two punch of Helu and Q this year. Hoping for the best...

Bo has spoken, he is gone, that is all we will hear most likely. Remember the Cody Glenn situation last year?

I don't think Burkhead is appointed #2 by ANY means yet.

Guess that means big man Suh will be our short yardage back now :clap:hellloooo

Mendoza could very well be #2, he went through 2 springs and 2 falls at RB, so he shouldn't have issues there.

Guess we'll find out in 2 weeks.

Now I wonder where Q lands

Sounds like Pelini came down pretty hard.

"We have guidelines, we have policies that we have set up here, we have a culture we have set up here," Pelini said. "It's pretty black and white my expectations and what we lay out as a staff, and if somebody doesn't follow those policies or guidelines, they're no longer going to be with the program. That's the case with Quentin. I wish him luck. He's a good kid. He's just not going to be with our program anymore."

I guess that rules out a return to the football program. That really sucks man.

The Burkhead thing is here.

"Minus Castille, Pelini said true freshman Rex Burkhead has emerged as the backup for starter Roy Helu."

http://www.journalstar.com/news/opinion/bl...1cc4c03286.html

Its all specualtaion as we wait for coach Pelini to address the situation. I was very anxious to see the one two punch of Helu and Q this year. Hoping for the best...

Bo has spoken, he is gone, that is all we will hear most likely. Remember the Cody Glenn situation last year?

Mendoza could very well be #2, he went through 2 springs and 2 falls at RB, so he shouldn't have issues there.

:laughpound

Now he can be the Big 12 offensive and defensive player of the year.

Well at least Helu will get some more carries and now we know who will start the first game of the year. Unless Suh makes a push

this is a big loss due to his experience and size, however, i have to admit i'm not completely torn apart over this for a couple reasons:

1. he has only had 2 or 3 good games

2 he has fumble problems

3. for as big as he is, he really didn't hit the hole all that hard, especially on short yardage situations

4. Mendoza is back where he belongs

5. two words: roy helu

now, if he is reinstated and comes back and has a monster year...i will GLADLY eat crow, gladly

And the hating starts already!?! Come on, to say Q's loss isn't a big one is being disingenuous. NU just took a huge hit in their running game, and now there is even more pressure on Helu to carry the load. A load that Q was more than capable of carrying when Lucky wasn't getting the job done last season.

As good as Roy Helu is, I don't see our running game getting off to the great start many Husker fans where hoping for. Mendoza's speed will help, but there is no one in the backfield right now that can match Q's size and physicality. This loss will hurt us, especially early part of the season.

:laughpound

Now he can be the Big 12 offensive and defensive player of the year.

Well at least Helu will get some more carries and now we know who will start the first game of the year. Unless Suh makes a push

suh_feature.jpgndamukong-suh.jpg

Nebraska junior running back Quentin Castille, who rushed for 505 yards and six touchdowns – including 125 yards in the Gator Bowl – has been kicked off the team for violation of team rules, head coach Pelini announced after Saturday’s practice.

“We have guidelines, we have policies set up here, we have a culture set up here,” Pelini said. “It’s pretty black and white my expectations that we lay out as a staff, and if somebody doesn’t follow those policies and guidelines, they’re no longer going to be with the program. And that’s the case with Quentin.

“I wish him luck. He’s a good kid. He’s just not going to be with our program any more.”

Pelini did not elaborate on the team rules violated. He said he made the decision without the assistance of the Unity Council. Castille had been at practice the last two days watching in a t-shirt and shorts, but wasn’t at practice Saturday. He was spotted outside Memorial Stadium, however, wearing Husker gear.

Castille’s dismissal likely means a bigger load to carry for junior Roy Helu, who rushed for 803 yards and seven touchdowns last year while splitting time with Castille and the now-graduated Marlon Lucky. On Friday, Helu said he believed Castille was being held out for the same reason Helu had been held out earlier in the week – “doing some recovery stuff like I was doing.”

Receivers coach Ted Gilmore gave a “no comment” when asked Friday. Only Pelini typically addresses such issues, and he hasn’t spoken with the media as a group since Wednesday.

Castille spent about three weeks training with his uncle in Atlanta. Pelini was asked about his status with the team at Big 12 Media Days; Pelini responded then that Castille had a “good summer.”

On July 27, Castille pleaded no contest to an April charge that he had failed to deliver a state title on a vehicle he had purchased. He was ordered to pay a small fine. There was briefly a warrant out for Castille’s arrest in June, which was rescinded when Castille appeared in court.

LINK

at the end of the article above......

See also: NU Gets Sixth Verbal Commit

:hmmph:hmmph

i guess i'm trying to focus on Burkhead who everyone says was a first class stud-muffin in HS.. being a true freshmen and already stepping up is really a postive sign for us..... no mention of okafor.. hows that guys doing?? i guess not good enough to be the number two after helu... i always liked him

this is a big loss due to his experience and size, however, i have to admit i'm not completely torn apart over this for a couple reasons:

1. he has only had 2 or 3 good games

2 he has fumble problems

3. for as big as he is, he really didn't hit the hole all that hard, especially on short yardage situations

4. Mendoza is back where he belongs

5. two words: roy helu

now, if he is reinstated and comes back and has a monster year...i will GLADLY eat crow, gladly

And the hating starts already!?! Come on, to say Q's loss isn't a big one is being disingenuous. NU just took a huge hit in their running game, and now there is even more pressure on Helu to carry the load. A load that Q was more than capable of carrying when Lucky wasn't getting the job done last season.

As good as Roy Helu is, I don't see our running game getting off to the great start many Husker fans where hoping for. Mendoza's speed will help, but there is no one in the backfield right now that can match Q's size and physicality. This loss will hurt us, especially early part of the season.

agree, for gawds sake, stop the hating, the damn ink isn't even dry on this news......and yes, this will hurt us for the entire season, without a doubt.

Well, at least the pattern is set, when Bo kicks someone off the team, that's it, end of discussion, no explanation, all kept in house (Glenn).

any further speculation as to why he is gone, is just that. absent of Q saying anything to the press, this is a done deal. moving on....

Amen. Here's to looking ahead and the 2009 Season! :snacks:

I can't believe some are saying it's "no big loss" when the last 6 months everyone has been talking about how important our running game will be - especially early. Is that how it works? We lose a key player and suddenly they were never important to begin with? Right...

I do find it interesting that Bo specifically stated that Rex was now the number two back when he rarely mentions players by name especially as it relates to the depth chart. Is he really that impressive at the college level this early on?

I have liked Lester since he got here, but I thought of him as a #3 behind Helu and Castille. I figured he would probably show his true talent late in the season as he got more experience under his belt.

This whole situation is not good. Not good at all!