JGS30 Big 12 Predictions

JGS30

CU over KU and NU!?! LOL. Wow. Now that's delusional! :clap Unless I missed something and Hawkins has put in a high flying attack, scoring 60 plus a game.....but I highly doubt that's the case.

Before you personally attack me at least tell me how I am being delusional? I stated the evidence, even last year in Lawrence, CU was in the game with KU and CU is better and healthier at this point then they were last year. Second, do you deny that it took a monumental kick last year for Nebraska to beat CU in Lincoln? If Henry misses the kick we are taking knees, game set and match. Now I understand that you guys believe you are better then last year as well as I believe we are better, so I do not believe it to be delusional on my part to pick the home team in both of those matchups. I gave Mizzou the nod over us because quite honestly they have embarrassed the hell out of us the last few years, niether KU or NU has done that. I may be picking wrong, to be say that I am delusional without any evidence to back up that claim is shallow on your part.

For starters, i didn't personally attack you. Thinking your Buffs will beat both KU and NU is very delusional. Why. Let's begin. For starters, you don't even know who your QB is going to be!!! Neither of these guys have shown any potential of being consistent as a starter. The second reason I think you're off on this is because if you remember the KU/CU game last year then you would recall how KU controlled the game from start to finish. Now, If my memory serves me....without looking it up here...KU won by 17 points? Something like that. However, the game was never in doubt for KU and I remember all of us going into halftime feeling really comfortable, even though the score was close. KU dominated both sides of the ball from start to finish.

You have some pretty high hopes for a team that has yet to settle on a proven QB and a coach going into year 4 that has yet to prove ANY consistency in this conference. Plus you had a losing record last year and didn't go to a bowl. I would lower my expectations if I were you. Don't get mad at me, I have CU finishing 3rd in the North. That's a good step for CU.

Come on dawg, BB has every right to be a fan of his Buffs as you do about your Hawks. Its not delusional for a fan to support his team to possibly win the North Division. Especially when the division winner might lose 3 games. There's not much, if any separation in the North.

OU and UT are clearly the top teams in the Conference. In our division, I see no problem with us picking the Huskers, Beach Buffs picking CU, you and Jayhawk picking KU, and Fro Daddyo picking MU. Hell even TuffTiger wishes they had corn to ride a pickle.

So lets keep it reasonable and hold off on beating our chest with bold statements and delusional comments, esp when we all know the winner of the North is up for grabs. GBR

:nanalama

CU over KU and NU!?! LOL. Wow. Now that's delusional! :clap Unless I missed something and Hawkins has put in a high flying attack, scoring 60 plus a game.....but I highly doubt that's the case.

Careful there. Colorado's roster is as talented as anyone's in the North. Their big problem last year was injuries. If they're healthy, they're able to win some games.

True, but with Hawkins being there for four years and failing to put up a better than .500 season, I think they will likely do the same again this year. Even with healthy players, the strength of that team will be the running game. Their quarterbacks are not good at all. I'd rather take Zac Lee into battle as an untested starter than either of the two guys they have.

If you can force them to be one dimensional and the run the ball a lot, their offensive line isn't going to overpower any one consistently for four quarters of play.

Careful there. Colorado's roster is as talented as anyone's in the North. Their big problem last year was injuries. If they're healthy, they're able to win some games.

True, but with Hawkins being there for four years and failing to put up a better than .500 season, I think they will likely do the same again this year. Even with healthy players, the strength of that team will be the running game. Their quarterbacks are not good at all. I'd rather take Zac Lee into battle as an untested starter than either of the two guys they have.

If you can force them to be one dimensional and the run the ball a lot, their offensive line isn't going to overpower any one consistently for four quarters of play.

The other thing that bothers me about CU is that they are going to a 3-4 base D. I just don't see it, I know they have a couple of good LB's but the NT is what makes that set go and I don't see a good one on their roster. Even having 2 DE's won't cut it, you have to have a Block Eater in the middle. I just see NU running all game long on that D, just like they did last season.

The other thing that bothers me about CU is that they are going to a 3-4 base D. I just don't see it, I know they have a couple of good LB's but the NT is what makes that set go and I don't see a good one on their roster. Even having 2 DE's won't cut it, you have to have a Block Eater in the middle. I just see NU running all game long on that D, just like they did last season.

Yeah, that switch to the 3-4 is a reaction to the pass-happy nature of the Big XII lately, and it's going to be tough to slow down an effective running game. I see trouble for CU stopping Missouri, Kansas and Nebraska in the running game. If we control the clock like we did last year, and there's no reason to think we won't, and if we don't toss them the ball for a gift TD, and if we stop letting receivers run free in our secondary... I don't think it's going to be a close game in Boulder this year. Basically stop giving away free points and you win much more easily.

Yeah, that switch to the 3-4 is a reaction to the pass-happy nature of the Big XII lately, and it's going to be tough to slow down an effective running game. I see trouble for CU stopping Missouri, Kansas and Nebraska in the running game. If we control the clock like we did last year, and there's no reason to think we won't, and if we don't toss them the ball for a gift TD, and if we stop letting receivers run free in our secondary... I don't think it's going to be a close game in Boulder this year. Basically stop giving away free points and you win much more easily.

too add on to what caveman and knapplc have said, i dont understand the switch to the 3-4 either. I dont see the dominant D-linemen to free up the LB's and with the pass happy Big 12 it seems the better switch would be to a 4-2 nickle package. Some teams have done this pretty well. Make the extra DB a larger safety. You basically get the same hitting and tackling skills as you would with a 3rd backer, but you get the pass coverage upgrade. If CU runs a 3-4 pretty much all the time that means when they play against MU, KU, ISU, OU, OSU, TT & Baylor they will have atleast 1 LB on a slot WR on almost every play. WHo whats to give the other team a mis-match on almost every down. And thats not even counting the times when KSU, NE, T&M & TX spread the field. It just seems like a really bad fit for the quick passing, spread you out conference that the big 12 has become.

I think CU and KU pose the biggest threat to us this year. CU kept pointing to QB play, but how can you have QB play when you have 4th string OL in there starting due to injuries? If the injury bug doesn't hit CU like it did last year, they could possibly be pretty good. For all the kudos given to other Big 12 running backs, I think people are overlooking CU's RB's. Again, how good could they possibly be last year running behind 4th string OL?

Really, it comes down to whose pieces fit the best together. Can Mizzou replace the critical pieces lost after last season? Can Nebraska replace the critical pieces lost? Will CU be able to stay healthy? Will KU's D be able to stop anyone? CU has the schedule. They really haven't gotten any love. They will be playing with a serious chip on their shoulder. This could very well be the make or break season for Hawkins. CU scares me. Mizzou has just lost so much in terms of players and coaching staff from last year. I think their hurdles might be a little high to clear week in and week out. KU will score points, but I'm not sold on their D yet. When it's all said and done, I think the North comes down to NU because we have the best defense and CU. Saturday cannot get here fast enough!

I think it is not unfair to point out that there is no reason to think that CU has a good QB situation based on what we know right now, that they have been very mediocre the last few years and they have not done that well in the conference. They are OK and I think Hawkins is a good coach. While I think delusional may have been a bit strongly worded, I do think it highly unlikely that CU beats KU and NU this year based on what we know today... Being a fan often means being a little delusional, but that is not a good thing. I sort of pride myself on being pretty realistic...

When people said we were no good and we were not, I didn't make things up. The last few years I was being dismissed by people who were not well informed. My view has been proven out over time, at least directionally, that we have gotten better. I missed any Big 12 title predictions I have ever made though... While it may appear I am defending myself from un attack no one has made on me, I think a person's credibility on this board with their statements should be based on what they have said and how strong their rationale was. Predicitng college football is tough, people get hurt, players turn out to be worse or better than expected, lots of factors make things hard to predict. That is why it is so great!!! Regardless, I don't see CU winning the North, but I guess it will all come out in the wash.

Best of luck to all this year, I am FIRED UP!

What I can gather about reading this thread is that really no one in the north is afraid of anyone else in the north, meaning that there really is no consensus stud of the division. NU fans believe that they can win the north, KU fans believe they can win the north, MU fans believe they can win the north, I believe CU can win the north, and Cy believes ISU is guranteed to win the Big 12. The only ones alone in the dark appear to be KSU people...lol

I hate to tell you this, but KU or NU is winnin' the North. I say 80% or better it is one of those 2 teams...

Savor the taste of those 2 wins you guys got in Lawrence... when Bo rolls into town, its going to be another 30+ years before you get a win over NU. Sorry to burst your bubble.

and what is up with the KU ticket office putting $90 face value of the Nebraska tickets? Maybe its time Nebraska starts gouging the visiting fans from programs that gouge the Nebraska fans?

By all means I respect the comments based upon our QB play and I realize it is a huge weakness but to offset that weakness I believe we will challenge OSU for the Big 12 statistical lead in rushing. If we are forced into positions where we expect our QB's to throw the ball 30+ times a game I concede defeat now. For example when we beat NU 62-36 back in '01 without looking it up on Google, can you name me the QB from CU that year? However, I bet you might be able to name at least one RB. So my point is that in college football you can still establish yourself offensively by running the football effectively. If we can do that and maintan time of posession we can hang with anyone in the North but if someone does shut it down(which I know a lot of the NU fans say will happen) then we are in trouble. I just do not subscribe to the theory that everyone has to run the spread to win these days. Give me a good offensive line and some talented RB's and line up in the I Formation and I think I can move the football and I know there are some Cornhusker fans out there as well that probably still believe that can be a winning combination. Afterall, have they been relavent since they dumped it?

By all means I respect the comments based upon our QB play and I realize it is a huge weakness but to offset that weakness I believe we will challenge OSU for the Big 12 statistical lead in rushing. If we are forced into positions where we expect our QB's to throw the ball 30+ times a game I concede defeat now. For example when we beat NU 62-36 back in '01 without looking it up on Google, can you name me the QB from CU that year? However, I bet you might be able to name at least one RB. So my point is that in college football you can still establish yourself offensively by running the football effectively. If we can do that and maintan time of posession we can hang with anyone in the North but if someone does shut it down(which I know a lot of the NU fans say will happen) then we are in trouble. I just do not subscribe to the theory that everyone has to run the spread to win these days. Give me a good offensive line and some talented RB's and line up in the I Formation and I think I can move the football and I know there are some Cornhusker fans out there as well that probably still believe that can be a winning combination. Afterall, have they been relavent since they dumped it?

I think relevance is of little consequence. You can change offenses and still be dominant, it just didn't happen for us because of bad coaching.

But I do agree with you. You can still run the ball and be a dominant team. Even in the 90's, everybody was saying Nebraska was outdated and they never gave us a lot of chances in many big games, and then look what happened.

Even Georgia Tech is proving that the option can work with the big boys. They took care of Georgia last year, after all.