Why we burnt the N.

OwlFamily

Wow...I didn't know they were burning the N because of Nebraska.

Somebody told me they had a tradition at FAU of burning each letter of the alphabet as soon as they learned it. I've been waiting patiently for the O to go up in flames...

:laughpound:rollin:worship:cheers

In all seriousness though, you guys who don't mind the burning of the N, really? It would be a lock down drag out fight if I saw someone burning the US Flag. Why? Because of what it represents. I don't like it because they burned our tradition with that N, they burned all my childhood memories of Jarvis Redwine, I.M. Hipp, Turner Gill, Roger Craig, and every other player from the past. I realize we are the classiest fans in the land but are we also becoming the softest?

Somebody told me they had a tradition at FAU of burning each letter of the alphabet as soon as they learned it. I've been waiting patiently for the O to go up in flames...

In all seriousness though, you guys who don't mind the burning of the N, really? It would be a lock down drag out fight if I saw someone burning the US Flag. Why? Because of what it represents. I don't like it because they burned our tradition with that N, they burned all my childhood memories of Jarvis Redwine, I.M. Hipp, Turner Gill, Roger Craig, and every other player from the past. I realize we are the classiest fans in the land but are we also becoming the softest?

I appreciate your passion for the program and the history, but I refuse to equate a college football pep rally with burning the American flag. I'm a perspective guy. Let 'em have their fun. We'll have our fun tomorrow night.

I'm over burning the "N" but if anyone stomps on the N at midfield during the coin flip about 70,000 red faithful will be up out of their seats (I'm assuming the other 10,000 are blue hairs from the west stadium that don't get excited about this stuff).

Good luck Saturday.

We fit roughly 85,000, and I think it is VERY optimistic to think they'll get anywhere near 10,000 of their fans in the stands.

I'm over burning the "N" but if anyone stomps on the N at midfield during the coin flip about 70,000 red faithful will be up out of their seats (I'm assuming the other 10,000 are blue hairs from the west stadium that don't get excited about this stuff).

Good luck Saturday.

We fit roughly 85,000, and I think it is VERY optimistic to think they'll get anywhere near 10,000 of their fans in the stands.

By bluehairs topeka means Old People who shout at people to sit down during games, not FAU fans wearing blue.

Soft because we don't get out panties in a twist over FAU trying to establish some traditions and get their fans/players excited for the start of the season? Ok...

And yeah, it'd be a lock down, drag out fight if you saw someone burning an American flag. And then you'd get arrested and charged with assault. Congrats.

Soft because we don't get out panties in a twist over FAU trying to establish some traditions and get their fans/players excited for the start of the season? Ok...

And yeah, it'd be a lock down, drag out fight if you saw someone burning an American flag. And then you'd get arrested and charged with assault. Congrats.

Some things are worth getting arrested for, just ask Eric Warfield........ <_<

My take is that it's amateur-ish.. it's high-school-ish (reminded me of that pep rally from Grease, lol). Actually, I thought it looked pretty cool (the video). But, you have to wonder why it takes a stunt like that to get them fired up. I mean come on, FAU admitted that they were overconfident last year which lead to struggles. Overconfident???? I understand they're a young program that has risen fairly quickly, BUT they have yet to beat a BCS team, sounds like Coach Smellyburger is a bit desperate for motivation.

Am I offended by it? Hell no. Are the players? Very likely.

Anyway, here's a little comparison...

NU: claps winning/losing team off field

FAU: burns/destroys opponent symbols before game

I'm all for FAU starting traditions (VERY IMPORTANT), but maybe try to start some classier ones?

My take is that it's amateur-ish.. it's high-school-ish (reminded me of that pep rally from Grease, lol). Actually, I thought it looked pretty cool (the video). But, you have to wonder why it takes a stunt like that to get them fired up. I mean come on, FAU admitted that they were overconfident last year which lead to struggles. Overconfident???? I understand they're a young program that has risen fairly quickly, BUT they have yet to beat a BCS team, sounds like Coach Smellyburger is a bit desperate for motivation.

I'm all for FAU starting traditions (VERY IMPORTANT), but maybe try to start some classier ones?

I'm sorry, did you just accuse another team and their fans of being "high-school-ish" and then refer to their coach as "Smellyburger"?

FAU has beaten a BCS team. We beat Minnesotta (SP?) in 07.

I know they werent good that year at all, but they were still a BCS team.

I think about Grease as well at the Pep Rally. :) Yeah its corny but it also works and brings the students and players together.

Remember FAU has only had a Football team for 9 years total, our success on the field is bringing the fans together and with campus life growing (FAU has only been in existence since 1962) we need things like this to grow the support.

I think about Grease as well at the Pep Rally. :) Yeah its corny but it also works and brings the students and players together.

Remember FAU has only had a Football team for 9 years total, our success on the field is bringing the fans together and with campus life growing (FAU has only been in existence since 1962) we need things like this to grow the support.

That is why you don't understand what the N means to the players and many fans. It is the symbol of our proud tradition. Wearing the Red N on their helmets is what any young Husker fan dreams of.

That is why you don't understand what the N means to the players and many fans. It is the symbol of our proud tradition. Wearing the Red N on their helmets is what any young Husker fan dreams of.

I can see that, and we just dont have anything like that as of yet to get all riled up about.

It will all come in time I suppose.

I'm sorry, did you just accuse another team and their fans of being "high-school-ish" and then refer to their coach as "Smellyburger"?

I'm a random fan on a message board. Not a Division I head coach. No problem with the fans, I'm questioning the coach/athletic department for arranging the stunt. If it had been random fans that did it, then who cares? Anyway, it's the internets here, not a school function. I get to say what I want :P

Just saying you should think about having a bit more classy pep rallies ;) Stuff like this can come back to bite you in the ass... like it will this saturday.