The Sky is NOT Falling!

Our recruiting class is decent so far, but I think we can all agree it could be better. And if you don't think FSU/Miami are stock full of talent you're blind. They are very, very athletic. The important thing is that hopefully our class gets better over the years until we're competing with the best.

"Athlete" does not always translate to "football player."

Our recruiting class is decent so far, but I think we can all agree it could be better. And if you don't think FSU/Miami are stock full of talent you're blind. They are very, very athletic. The important thing is that hopefully our class gets better over the years until we're competing with the best.

We're two decommits short of an amazing class. We will pull in bigger fish before it's all said and done, especially if we can run up Oklahoma.

Is that why FSU and Miami sends their players in BOATS to the NFL year after year??

Is that why FSU and Miami sends their players in BOATS to the NFL year after year??

Yet...how many title's have they won in the past 15 years? Your last comment made absolutely no sense when it come's to winning in college football!

We're two decommits short of an amazing class. We will pull in bigger fish before it's all said and done, especially if we can run up Oklahoma.

Run up the score on Oklahoma? Please tell me that's not what you mean.

Yet...how many title's have they won in the past 15 years? Your last comment made absolutely no sense when it come's to winning in college football!

Exactly. I'll take successful college football players over pure athletes/pro types any day. See Frazier, Tommie.

Edit: Frazier might not be the example I am looking for because he was an amazing athlete. The point I was trying to make is that numbers of players drafted is a pretty terrible indicator of how successfully they played in college. Quick example: would you rather have Josh Freeman last year or Joe Ganz? I'd take Ganz in a heartbeat . . . but Freeman got drafted. I guess my anti-NFL bias is showing.

Weird time period that you chose, as they have both won one title each in the last 15 years.

Looking at the last 4 years, Nebraska has a better winning percentage than either Florida State or Miami while playing in a tougher conference.

Miami vs Florida State was a wildly entertaining game because neither team is apparently able to play defense despite the fact that both offenses were running the same bubble screen they've used for the past 20 years.

Despite their superior athletes, they could not win the ACC which is among the worst conferences in the BCS.

Coaching? FSU has had the same coach for 30 years.

I am not going to worry about their recruiting until they start winning games, especially since whoever doesn't make to 2 deep in Miami will be available as a free agent.

And actually:

The pipeline from Florida State to the NFL has sprung a leak. The Seminoles had an ACC-best 45 players in the NFL in 2006, one more than Miami, but has subsequently dropped to 43 (in '07), then 39 last season and 30 today.

The Noles have seen stalwarts such as linebacker Derrick Brooks, running back Warrick Dunn, defensive tackle Corey Simon and quarterback Brad Johnson leave the NFL in the past three years, while adding only two players -- defensive end Everette Brown and wide receiver Michael Ray Garvin -- to this rookie crop.

It's no coincidence that FSU's record has fallen with less NFL-caliber talent on campus.

Point of comparison, UNC has 24 players in the NFL.

Now let's be clear. I am not saying that Nebraska does not need to improve its talent level in order to compete for a national title. Nor am I suggesting that Nebraska has as much team speed as Miami or Florida State.

I am saying don't hold up Miami and FSU as any indication of where Nebraska needs to go because before I get 4.3 40 wide receiver I want a good QB, something those schools have been missing for the last few years.

Exactly. I'll take successful college football players over pure athletes/pro types any day. See Frazier, Tommie.

Edit: Frazier might not be the example I am looking for because he was an amazing athlete. The point I was trying to make is that numbers of players drafted is a pretty terrible indicator of how successfully they played in college. Quick example: would you rather have Josh Freeman last year or Joe Ganz? I'd take Ganz in a heartbeat . . . but Freeman got drafted. I guess my anti-NFL bias is showing.

That's a cop out Carl. :rolleyes:

And Tommie would of made it to the NFL if it wasn't for blood clots.

And Josh Freeman > Joe Ganz. He was on a horrible team.

Disagree. Josh Freeman might have exceeded Joe Ganz in every physical category, but Joe Ganz had "it" where it matters most for a college qb: between the ears. Freeman had no mental toughness, no scrappy-ness. I don't think I ever saw Freeman make something out of nothing.

And, no. I don't think Tommie was ever going to be an NFL qb. Bloodclots or no bloodclots, he didn't have the throwing ability to draw NFL attention.

By what measure is Freeman a better college QB than Joey?

2008 stats

Ganz

67.8% completion percentage

3,565 yards passing

25 TD's

11 Int's

153.69 QB rating

Freeman

58.6% completion percentage

2,945 passing yards

20 TD's

8 Int's

136.49 QB rating

Even when Freeman had all-American Jordy Nelson to throw to, he never approached Joe's completion percentage or QB rating. Sure Josh is taller and has a stronger arm, but that alone certainly doesn't make for a very good college QB.

So I call BS on this assessment.