I will just say that our defense did not lose the game on Saturday.

You don't go down the field to kick field goals. Our offense was abysmal (with the exception of Helu), and Lee can say what he wants, but it was obvious the pressure got to him.

What a horrible way to lose a game. I'm still sick from it.

When you have two TD's taken back that more than hurts.

Henry more held on the TD play than did VT's enire o-line did on the O'Hanlon screw up and their last TD. The only difference was Henry got called and VT's o-line didn't.

Saw this on another site:

"I travelled over 1,000 miles to go to the game against Va Tech. I had pumped this game up in my mind so much and I was destroyed when we let that receiver get behind us that late in the game. I couldn't stop thinking, 'How could this happen?'. On my way out, I decided to wait for the players

getting on the bus to see how they would react. When I saw Matt come out of the locker room, he walked straight over to his wife and hugged her and started crying because he felt terrible. After that I remembered how much heart and effort these kids pour into the program."

I was very upset as well with the game and to me it was one of the most

disappointing losses I've seen. It pays to remember that these are 18-22

year old kids who are doing nothing but pouring their heart into the program

and however I feel after a game like this, most of the time they feel worse.

It looked like pretty good closing speed to me, actually..

He had one huge boneheaded play, and it hurt. But he came back the next play to sack Taylor back to the 11 and give us a real shot again. Fall down. Get back up.

I like that out of O'Hanlon.

Everyone makes mistakes. I'm not going to start calling for his head.

Remember, he saved the Clemson game for us, and he nearly saved this one, too, despite also basically giving it away. He looked like he had no business catching that guy, but he did, popped up, and went after it hard on the next play.

I thought that was Hagg? Maybe I misremembered.

It was Hagg... but O'Hanlon wouldnt be on the field if he didnt earn his spot. Cant end his career over ONE bad play. What about the ENTIRE OFFENSE settling for FIVE field goals... those are the kids we should be asking ourselves about having playing time... especially BOTH Jones' boys!!!!

He had one huge boneheaded play, and it hurt. But he came back the next play to sack Taylor back to the 11 and give us a real shot again. Fall down. Get back up.

Remember, he saved the Clemson game for us, and he nearly saved this one, too, despite also basically giving it away. He looked like he had no business catching that guy, but he did, popped up, and went after it hard on the next play.

It was Hagg... but O'Hanlon wouldnt be on the field if he didnt earn his spot. Cant end his career over ONE bad play. What about the ENTIRE OFFENSE settling for FIVE field goals... those are the kids we should be asking ourselves about having playing time... especially BOTH Jones' boys!!!!

No Hagg made the Sacks, O'Hanlon knocked the ball away from Spiller on the endzone play. O'Hanlon saved the game on that 3rd down play.

Saw this on another site:

"I travelled over 1,000 miles to go to the game against Va Tech. I had pumped this game up in my mind so much and I was destroyed when we let that receiver get behind us that late in the game. I couldn't stop thinking, 'How could this happen?'. On my way out, I decided to wait for the players

getting on the bus to see how they would react. When I saw Matt come out of the locker room, he walked straight over to his wife and hugged her and started crying because he felt terrible. After that I remembered how much heart and effort these kids pour into the program."

I was very upset as well with the game and to me it was one of the most

disappointing losses I've seen. It pays to remember that these are 18-22

year old kids who are doing nothing but pouring their heart into the program

and however I feel after a game like this, most of the time they feel worse.

WOW...................now I feel like a real a-hole. I apologize O'Hanlon. :hmmph

Watch the actual game film and not just the angles and coverage you get from the ESPN highlites. Then, you might notice not only West leaving his man for O'Hanlon to cover but also the CB getting beat on the other side on a nice post route while the weak side safety backpedals to...somewhere totally out of the play. So...which of the two guys does O'Hanlon cover? Leaving a guy naked out there and then riding him for a blown coverage is real bad form. Want to ride somebody? Start with the CB's. From what I can see, neither one provided consistent lock-down defense on the VT receivers.

Looking at the entire game, it appears to me that one of the main things that got drilled into the defense was to contain Taylor...not let him scramble and get outside. Make him beat you with his arm and not his legs. Throughout the game, whenever Taylor looked like he might take off, corners and LB's were breaking coverage to stuff him and leaving receivers matched up with 1 on 1 coverage from the safeties. It worked okay for the majority of the game since, let's face it, Tyrod Taylor is NOT the greatest passing QB to ever hit the field, but even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while if he looks long enough.

Unless everything went absolutely perfect for the entire game, both safeties were pretty much screwed from the start.

cy said it here first... :clap

No Hagg made the Sacks, O'Hanlon knocked the ball away from Spiller on the endzone play. O'Hanlon saved the game on that 3rd down play.

That could be right, it was Hagg that sacked their QB that saved the game.

I'm definitely on the side with Knapplc, the NOT throwing people under the bus side. People just have to realize that no matter how upset and disgruntled with a performance, especially a heartbreaker like this one, they have NO IDEA how terrible it must feel to be in those players' shoes. They recognize the pressure that they are under and that an entire state relies on them to be successful. This team is going to continue to improve and I bet there were some people trying desperately to pull their feet out of their mouths when they read that comment about O'hanlon after the game.

It is the pride of Nebraska, this Husker football team, but people don't realize that it is just a game, they take it to extremes and forget that they will never feel more upset about a loss than do the players that strap on their helmets every weekend and try their hardest for us.

All streaks are meant to come to an end and believe me, this road losing streak and top 20 losing streak WILL end under Bo. I do not know when, but you have to trust, it is coming.

I think the reason everyone is so pissed off and upset about the loss isn't because we lost, but because the way the team played the game. With that dominating of a performance. You don't think that the foundation for immense success is being laid right now? Like a post I read in another thread, "Sometimes you have to get your ass beat to learn how to win". Sometimes, these players have to lose these close ones to realize that they can come out on top, that it just takes a LITTLE more and they will win. I don't count the Callahan era "close" losses, because everyone knows how terrible of a coach he was, both with "execution" and the psychological impacts he had on his players.

The Big Red is rising, it will take time to reach the peak, but you had better believe, it is on it's way back to the top! :w00t

:restore

Anyone blaming West on that play obviously doesn't understand how a cover 2 zone defense works.

OK, how does it work? Do they leave all deep routes for the 2 safeties to cover? What if 3 guys go deep, one down each sideline and one down the middle? Should the CBs be trying to turn the receivers into the middle before letting them go?

Honestly it depends on the DB Coach's philosophy. Traditionally the CB's responsibility is Curl-to-Flat, which is from the Line of Scrimmage to about 10 yards deep. The FS and SS have Deep Halves. In the event of three receivers streaking downfield, the Safety with the two receivers to one side will usually split them and have to react to the throw, but the key is to stay deeper than the deepest man. Some coaches will have the MLB take the deep center of the field(Tampa 2), or have the CB help if there is not someone in the flat. Like I said, it depends on the Coach....but the Corners are supposed to funnel everything inside.

Anyone blaming West on that play obviously doesn't understand how a cover 2 zone defense works.

OK, how does it work? Do they leave all deep routes for the 2 safeties to cover? What if 3 guys go deep, one down each sideline and one down the middle? Should the CBs be trying to turn the receivers into the middle before letting them go?

Honestly it depends on the DB Coach's philosophy. Traditionally the CB's responsibility is Curl-to-Flat, which is from the Line of Scrimmage to about 10 yards deep. The FS and SS have Deep Halves. In the event of three receivers streaking downfield, the Safety with the two receivers to one side will usually split them and have to react to the throw, but the key is to stay deeper than the deepest man. Some coaches will have the MLB take the deep center of the field(Tampa 2), or have the CB help if there is not someone in the flat. Like I said, it depends on the Coach....but the Corners are supposed to funnel everything inside.

Thanks, I appreciate the explanation.

This was cover two and he defiantly messed up his assignment. In almost ever cover two situation your assignment as the two safeties is:

On Pass - deep halves no one behind

On Run - Late support fill the alley between the CB and LB to your side.

Even though the corner allowed Coale to release free to the outside, (which goes against cover 2 principle and opposite of what Prince is doing on the other side) O'Hanlon's eyes are on Tyrod the whole time. He doesn't even realize Coale is streaking down the sideline until he is at the NU forty. He opened up to the right side back to the threat and bite about as hard on the pump fake as Suh did.

That wasn't effort - that was fear as a result of stupidity which caused him to knock Coale out of bounds at the 3.

So your agreeing that O'Hanlon should have let Coale get into the endzone? and not knocked him out at the 3yd line?

Oh no, he did the right thing IN tackling him. That's a no brainer.

I was actually thinking he should have let him score. It would have left far more time on the clock for us to move into FG range especially with as well as we moved the ball between the 20's. I was proud of him for catching him but then i thought maybe it would have been better to just let them score rather than eat all of the clock up. Granted there is always the possibility we could have picked it in the end zone or caused a fumble too. Hind sight is 20/20.