Is Bo shunning the fans?

RedDenver

As expected, the e-mails from readers runneth over. Several were critical of Bo Pelini blowing off a question after Saturday's loss at Virginia Tech by saying, “You saw it. It was obvious.'' That's good. Fans don't usually care if the media gets its question answered, but I've always felt that they should. If the coach shuns the question, he is, in effect, shunning the fans. Pelini is an emotional guy after games and he doesn't crave press conferences, but they're part of the job. He's the CEO and voice of the program. People have the right to want the head coach to answer to what happened in a game and explain his and the team's actions, good or bad. Besides, Bo, never assume that anything is obvious to the media.

link

I'm curious what everyone thinks.

Personally, I think Shatel is biased because he's part of the media. As a fan I don't care if Bo answers questions from the media or not. Sure, I don't get quite as much information, but I'm not sure I care that much, especially since said info is being filtered by the media, who I do not trust or respect. Also, people may have the right to want the head coach to answer questions about the game, but that doesn't mean people have a right to an answer. Wanting something and getting it are different things.

You have to kind of give him a break...I would have been pretty pissed off after that VT game, and wouldn't want to have been answering stupid questions from stupid reporters either during the post game press conference. I may have taken the Mike Ditka approach, and just come right out and asked a reporter "Are you f'ing stupid or what? How do you think it went out there numb nuts?"

I would agree that Tom Shatel was butt hurt that Bo didn't answer his question. The whole article that Shatel wrote in the paper this morning or late last night just put me off in a sour mood. It seemed like Shatel was more or less still ticked off about the loss and being a baby. I was extremely ticked off that we loss but I got over it that night.

Its time to move on....theres still plenty of games left.

I would agree that Tom Shatel was butt hurt that Bo didn't answer his question. The whole article that Shatel wrote in the paper this morning or late last night just put me off in a sour mood. It seemed like Shatel was more or less still ticked off about the loss and being a baby. I was extremely ticked off that we loss but I got over it that night.

Its time to move on....theres still plenty of games left.

This is one of the reasons I don't read Shatel. He writes his emotions into his articles far too often.

Yeah, I don't care what he questions he answers from the media or if he talks to the media at all. Might not get as much information, but if our product on the field looks good and our team improves each year, I don't really care.

I mean, we could have a coach that comes out and says alot, but in the end, doesn't really say anything at all. What's the difference?

I don’t believe he is “shunning the fans” when he is a boob to the media. I do think it is part of his job, even if he doesn’t like it or not. So he should suck it up and be a big boy about it instead of at times appearing like a spoiled little kid.

Here is how I see as it may relate more to the every man:

I don’t know if anyone on here has ever worked with “the public” but here goes. Say you have to go to your job and right before your leave you and your spouse get into a heated argument. You get pissed off and now you take those emotions with you to your job. Well the first customer you have to deal with is a complete butt and you aren’t really in the mood to take any of their stupidity. Guess what if you want to keep your job you must put on a fake front, deal with them and not let your emotions show. You know why? Because it is part of your job and when you signed up for that job you agreed to that.

I for one think he looks like a complete knob when he is “just being Bo” but again that may just be me. There are times he is very Bill Belichick like. IMO

As expected, the e-mails from readers runneth over. Several were critical of Bo Pelini blowing off a question after Saturday's loss at Virginia Tech by saying, “You saw it. It was obvious.'' That's good. Fans don't usually care if the media gets its question answered, but I've always felt that they should. If the coach shuns the question, he is, in effect, shunning the fans. Pelini is an emotional guy after games and he doesn't crave press conferences, but they're part of the job. He's the CEO and voice of the program. People have the right to want the head coach to answer to what happened in a game and explain his and the team's actions, good or bad. Besides, Bo, never assume that anything is obvious to the media.

link

I'm curious what everyone thinks.

Personally, I think Shatel is biased because he's part of the media. As a fan I don't care if Bo answers questions from the media or not. Sure, I don't get quite as much information, but I'm not sure I care that much, especially since said info is being filtered by the media, who I do not trust or respect. Also, people may have the right to want the head coach to answer questions about the game, but that doesn't mean people have a right to an answer. Wanting something and getting it are different things.

I certainly don't think Pelini is shunning the fans. Bo will just be himself and doesn't do anything for anyone else. I like Bo's straight forward approach and I don't want it to change. Besides, did you really need to learn anything new? Just like Bo said...we all saw it, what else can he say.

I think he didn't want to blame a specific player on that play. I can respect that.

Sanders was a lot more specific though, when I heard him on the radio later. I think he explained what defense they were on, that the safety froze on the TE over the middle for a second and should've stayed deep, and then took some of the blame for not coaching him up as well as he should've.

I prefer the latter. It's kind of nice to hear some details. Answers like "We didn't get it done" doesn't tell me anything. I don't need to know anything, but I sure like to know and learn what's going on. In the next breath, coaches will complain that fans don't know what's really going on out there. Well, hell, sure we do, it's just like you said, you guys didn't git 'er done,! So git 'er done next time! Or let's find somebody else that can git 'er done!

Shatel is a whiner though. He's looking for fans to complain and help make his job easier.

I don’t know if anyone on here has ever worked with “the public” but here goes. Say you have to go to your job and right before your leave you and your spouse get into a heated argument. You get pissed off and now you take those emotions with you to your job. Well the first customer you have to deal with is a complete butt and you aren’t really in the mood to take any of their stupidity. Guess what if you want to keep your job you must put on a fake front, deal with them and not let your emotions show. You know why? Because it is part of your job and when you signed up for that job you agreed to that.

I agree with this analogy. Bo is in a position where he can be a "knob" to the media and they just have to take it. I would like it if he would refrain from using that ability and treat the media with respect, but he either doesn't want to or he slips up time and again.

Either way, I'm still glad he's on our side.

I don’t believe he is “shunning the fans” when he is a boob to the media. I do think it is part of his job, even if he doesn’t like it or not. So he should suck it up and be a big boy about it instead of at times appearing like a spoiled little kid.

Here is how I see as it may relate more to the every man:

I for one think he looks like a complete knob when he is “just being Bo” but again that may just be me. There are times he is very Bill Belichick like. IMO

I would say that is spot on. I can understand both sides of this, but you do have to at least be cordial.

I also don't think anything was that bad in the post game. Maybe Bo got sick of waiting for "Stuttering Tom" to finish his question and that is what pissed him off?