Aaron Taylor's Championship Rings to be auctioned

SI.com

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) -- The championship hardware Aaron Taylor collected while playing for Nebraska in the 1990s has been put up for sale along with the 1997 Outland Trophy he won as the nation's best interior lineman.

The auction was forced by the failure of the Husker-themed Scarlet and Cream Letter Club restaurant Taylor started in Omaha with other former NU players and his resulting bankruptcy.

Taylor tried and failed to exclude his memorabilia from the bankruptcy liquidation. So the seven diamond-encrusted rings and bronze statue are scheduled to be auctioned off on Oct. 31 to help raise money to pay some of Taylor's debts.

Taylor's lawyer, James Nisley, said the bankruptcy laws wouldn't allow the championship rings and trophy to be excluded from Taylor's assets under Chapter 7 bankruptcy rules. And Taylor's case didn't qualify for another type of bankruptcy that might have allowed him to keep the items.

"Aaron did not like the idea of having those assets go up for sale, but we just didn't have any other choice," Nisley said.

Nisley said Taylor did try to buy his rings back, but could not agree on a price.

"It's kind of a sad deal, but the certainty we have in life is death and taxes," Nisley said.

Taylor did not immediately respond to phone and e-mail messages Tuesday. Since the restaurant's demise, he has moved to North Platte and started working as a conductor for Union Pacific Railroad.

The auction has upset Nebraska fans, and some of them have started donating money to help Taylor try to purchase some of his trophies at the auction.

Taylor is one of seven Nebraska players to have won the Outland Trophy and is the only Husker to be awarded All-American honors at two different positions, offensive center and guard.

During his career, he helped the Huskers to a 49-2 record and four straight bowl game wins, including undefeated seasons and national titles in 1994, 1995 and 1997.

He was drafted by the Indianapolis Colts in April 1998, but wound up spending the 1998 season on the Chicago Bears practice squad before deciding professional football wasn't for him.

In his initial bankruptcy filing last summer, Taylor said he owed at least $109,543 and had assets worth $5,300. The filing excluded the value of his rings and Outland Trophy.

Taylor's biggest debts are the taxes the restaurant failed to pay the state and federal government, including $69,000 owed to the IRS. Because he was an officer in the restaurant corporation, he is being held liable for its taxes.

The bankruptcy trustee in Taylor's case, Philip Kelly, said he has received a number of e-mails and calls about this auction, including some from people who want Taylor to somehow keep his rings and trophy. But he said the sale is an ordinary part of bankruptcy cases.

"Selling property by auction is a routine thing that bankruptcy trustees like myself do. The only thing unusual about this auction (are) the items themselves," Kelly said.

The auction will be held at a Scottsbluff motel, but bids will also be accepted online. The auction will likely be advertised in the Lincoln and Omaha newspapers and in fan magazine Huskers Illustrated.

Interesting that he was a partner in this business venture, but he's the only one listed as losing assets to pay for the taxes/IRS. My father was put into a similar situation when I was younger and since they couldn't find his 2 business partners they tried to make him pay the total sum owed. It's sad to see that this young mans greatest accomplishments have to be auctioned though. Death, taxes, and Tiggers thinking they have a legacy after a few years of success, the only constants in life. :box

Interesting that he was a partner in this business venture, but he's the only one listed as losing assets to pay for the taxes/IRS. My father was put into a similar situation when I was younger and since they couldn't find his 2 business partners they tried to make him pay the total sum owed. It's sad to see that this young mans greatest accomplishments have to be auctioned though. Death, taxes, and Tiggers thinking they have a legacy after a few years of success, the only constants in life. :box

I had heard that Layy the Cable guy was in and so was Scott Frost and a NU baseball player named Belieu?

not good things re service

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/omaha-ne/TDSPRVOQ5Q02LHCI6

I would not be surprised to see someone buy his stuff at auction then return it to him. If I could afford it I would

Bing. As would I.

I would do the same. We can only hope there is a husker fan out there that could do this for someone who has given us such great memories. I wonder if there would be a way to put together a fund for buying this stuff and then to have it turned back over to Aaron?

I would not be surprised to see someone buy his stuff at auction then return it to him. If I could afford it I would

Bing. As would I.

I would do the same. We can only hope there is a husker fan out there that could do this for someone who has given us such great memories. I wonder if there would be a way to put together a fund for buying this stuff and then to have it turned back over to Aaron?

I am willing to donate to any such fund. To me me there is just something morally wrong with this. I know that it is the law, but IMHO it borders or even crosses the moral line. I really do hope that a fan that is able to money wise buys these items and returns them to him. He deserves to keep them!

1110 KFAB this morning mentioned something about a paypal account for donations to buy back the hardware.

Will look for link...

Items for sale:

http://www.helbergnussauction.com/auctions/taylor/taylor.htm

According to Omaha.com

...The items are listed on the Web site of the aunctioneer, Helberg and Nuss in Scottsbluff. The sale is set for 10 a.m. Oct. 31 at the Scottsbluff Hampton Inn. Taylor said that since word of his situation began to get out in the last two days, he's been grateful to have received donations from Husker fans who hope he can buy back the items. Taylor has established a PayPal account, Outland1997@yahoo.com, where he is accepting such donations...