Lee - What if he struggles again?

beanman

Blaine Gabbert was outperforming Lee by a very large margin until he got his ankle messed up.

<_<

Before he got sacked, Gabbert was 5/8 for 30 yards. The next play he was sacked and fumbled. That was their second drive, ending at 8:05 in the first quarter.

How you can say Gabbert was outperforming Lee at that point is beyond me. Sure, Lee was 0/3, but he had zero turnovers.

That's pretty much a wash, wouldn't you say?

Only if you're looking at stats. If you actually watch, you'll see that Gabberts passes were all to open receivers, and were right on the numbers. Lee's passes were all over the place.

It's not like people weren't complaining about Lee after the very first game of the year. I remember watching him and saying to those around me that WTF is he doing, throwing into triple coverage, behind recievers, off target etc that would have been picked if we weren't against cupcakes. People have this Lee hard on over him beating up cupcakes... Lee was 3rd string QB last year for a reason.

Only if you're looking at stats. If you actually watch, you'll see that Gabberts passes were all to open receivers, and were right on the numbers. Lee's passes were all over the place.

Lee had thrown three passes to that point. In that rain it's pretty easy to allow for some inaccuracy. Your point is valid, I'm just saying that the ankle isn't a barometer in this situation.

In watching Lee I am convinced he will struggle again, as will all of the NU QB's. Until NU gets a real QB coach we will never see an UT, OU, or Florida type of QB playing for NU. Have you seen how Bradford, McCoy, and even Tebow throw the ball? They, and others, throw with confidence and authority. Lee aims the ball more than he throws it. In watching Green last spring he does the same thing.

Watson, NU's QB coach, knows the plays and playbook but doesn't seem too keen on identifying and correcting the hiccups and glitches a QB has in his footwork and delivery. Nobody will be successful in changing one's throwing motion, and that's not what I'm talking about.

You beat him. You take a softball bat, wrap it in foam insulation and duct tape and you chase Lee around the locker room and you wail on him. He can leave his helmet on, he can have some pads, but the beating is the key... Maybe 10 minutes worth. It's motivational...

I heard they did that in the locker room against Missouri, and once he recovered from his injuries (accounting for the 3rd quarter), he had a great 4th quarter. Remember the power was off in the locker room so it was dark and you couldn't see for sure, but I have an inside source that says it's true.

Lee simply aims the ball. On most of his passes he looks like someone throwing a dart at a dartboard in a bar and unfortunately for his approach, the target is moving. His mechanics and his results against decent defenses are not good. Granted we won at misery and his passing was a big part of that 4th qt comeback. But it would not likely have happened if Misery wasn't dumb enough to have their lame QB throwing the ball in the rain up by two scores. If we had to drive the field and they would have relied on their kicking game, it would have ended like VT, unable for Lee to lead the team to touchdowns. I'm hoping TT's D isn't that good and we can get along. At some point though it will be obvious to everyone that we cannot win against a good D with this QB, unless there is dramatic improvement and I don't think it is possible.

It's kind of interesting territory. On one hand you have a quarterback who has shown flashes of greatness but has been overall average and somewhat inconsistant. You know he's capable of making a big play but when the kid is down it's hard for him to get back up without motivation. He's a headcase and it shows.

You can put in Green for a series or two and hope that it motivates Lee to play better. On the other hand if Green starts lighting it up Tommie Frazier style you have a full fledged Quarterback controversy on your hands. Also if you put Green in and he struggles you have rolled the dice that you didn't motivate Lee with that move and instead made him more self consious, less confident, thus causing Lee the headcase to suck to high hell if you try to throw him back in.

It's dangerous territory and I for one hope Lee has the best game of his life, giving him more confidence to approach the rest of the season with.

It's kind of interesting territory. On one hand you have a quarterback who has shown flashes of greatness but has been overall average and somewhat inconsistant. You know he's capable of making a big play but when the kid is down it's hard for him to get back up without motivation. He's a headcase and it shows.

You can put in Green for a series or two and hope that it motivates Lee to play better. On the other hand if Green starts lighting it up Tommie Frazier style you have a full fledged Quarterback controversy on your hands. Also if you put Green in and he struggles you have rolled the dice that you didn't motivate Lee with that move and instead made him more self consious, less confident, thus causing Lee the headcase to suck to high hell if you try to throw him back in.

It's dangerous territory and I for one hope Lee has the best game of his life, giving him more confidence to approach the rest of the season with.

Green would not light anything TF style with the O Line we have... <_<