Helu and the RB position

I havent seen much talked about this, but Helu doesnt look right. He isnt hitting the holes as hard and we have absolutely no one behind him that looks even remotely servicable. Mendoza had his moments but I think we are missing Castille right now. I hate to dedhoarse but without a servicable RB and an average QB I think we are going to be in for a long season now. Everything that we were fearful of is now coming to fruition. Helu cannot carry a full season load at RB he just isnt durable enough. Lee is obviously not just a better version of Ganz. Our O-line is average at best, IMHO most of that falls directly on Barney Cotton.

I would like to see the ball handed off to Helu with the QB under center. Enough of these handoffs out of the shotgun. Plus, our O-line isn't performing well.

Also, I'll like to add this question.

Anybody worried about our depth at RB?

I am extremely worried about RB depth. Even if Bo wont say it, I think Helu is running at about 60%. Evertime he got the ball he looked like he was guarding his shoulder. I wouldnt be as worried about the RB position if our O-line had a pair of cajunes. But if they cant block, the only RB that can create is Helu.

I never really saw this on the games I've watched on TV but after being at the game seeing it first hand, it seems Helu relies to heavily on his blocks and either doesn't have the vision or foresight to deviate when the holes aren't available. Even when Tech's d-line closed the running lanes, Helu didn't make an attempt to circumvent and find another alternative to get some yardage. He has the speed to take it to the outside if he has too. He just hasn't really done that.

I never really saw this on the games I've watched on TV but after being at the game seeing it first hand, it seems Helu relies to heavily on his blocks and either doesn't have the vision or foresight to deviate when the holes aren't available. Even when Tech's d-line closed the running lanes, Helu didn't make an attempt to circumvent and find another alternative to get some yardage. He has the speed to take it to the outside if he has too. He just hasn't really done that.

I think just the opposite. I think Helu's vision is great and he has a tendency to bounce it to different holes. The problem is he isnt healthy and he is running timid. We are in real trouble because all the other backs look like Jr highers out there. Without a threat of a run game or a threat from our stone hand receivers and happy feet magee Zlee our offense is in disarray with no real chance of scoring unless we run into an olay defense.

I questioned Helu’s durability before the season and I still question it now. The way he acted after his first few carries(as far as his shoulder is concerned) it would appear he won’t be 100% from here on out.

The loss of Burkhead hurts badly and let’s not forget about Castille either. Sure Mendoza looked decent on Saturday in the passing game against a soft defense but after that we have nothing. Ward and Okafer can’t beat out A.J. Jones and that kid looked timid and slow on Saturday so I don’t expect too much from them this year.

i have noticed that Helu has more plays to the outside, do the coaches feel he is better at finding space and to use his breakaway speed then pound up the middle all day? One thing I liked with Burkhead is that even though he is small he gets more plays up the middle and hits the whole hard and fast and is able to get through before the D collapses, but we might have to wait for next year to see that again :angry: What is the status on him anyway?

This from a Sipple article this morning....

* Pelini has been mum on the extent of No. 2 running back Rex Burkhead’s foot injury, but a source close to Burkhead told me Sunday the freshman anticipates being sidelined six to eight weeks. In other words, the rest of the regular season.

Meanwhile, starting running back Roy Helu’s aching shoulder is an ongoing concern. Offensive coordinator Shawn Watson describes the injury as a “chronic issue.”

Very concerned about our backs. If we don't have anyone who can run the ball or anyone who can catch the ball, are we 'no dimensional'???scared0010.gifscared0010.gifscared0010.gifscared0010.gif

doc4ad9ffab1d248778098249.jpg

I havent seen much talked about this, but Helu doesnt look right. He isnt hitting the holes as hard and we have absolutely no one behind him that looks even remotely servicable. Mendoza had his moments but I think we are missing Castille right now. I hate to dedhoarse but without a servicable RB and an average QB I think we are going to be in for a long season now. Everything that we were fearful of is now coming to fruition. Helu cannot carry a full season load at RB he just isnt durable enough. Lee is obviously not just a better version of Ganz. Our O-line is average at best, IMHO most of that falls directly on Barney Cotton.

As to the OL --- it strikes me that NU has average Division 1 talent there --- not much better than average, if better at all. That means that there are ca. 30 programs with better athletes on the OL at NU. With such talent, if they are coached up, play aggressively, and play disciplined ball, they can be serviceable --- but will not enable the offense to move on a good defense. Simply not enough talent. That said, this OL, with only limited talent, is NOT coached up and is very undisciplined. Seemingly they are poorly coached. At the seasons end, a new OL coach is needed. Even with good coaching, the OL is talent limited.

The WR position also is one with a non-top 25 talent base.

The starting QB is not an average Division 1 QB. There are at least 40+ programs with more effective starters than NU.

With such a talent dearth at the OL, at the WR positions and at QB.... well... it is not surprising that NU's offense is weak.

I stated before the TT game that NU must score more than 30 points to win --- and I stated as well that this offense would be very hard pressed to do so. That is why I feared TT. Few did, as wrapped up in hype and hope as we were. But clearly, the TT game should not have surprised anyone really.

As for Iowa State --- or anyone for that matter --- now that the NU inability to pass more than 5 yards downfield has been exposed, they will stack the box, close down the run and force us to pass. NU is in trouble.

The defense will have to hold teams to 14-17 points or less to keep us in games.

Honestly, I somewhat fear ISU.

I think what we're seeing is exactly what some/a lot predicted before the beginning of the season. We are more than likely a 4 loss team again. In year 2, Bo has I'd say "fixed" the defense. We're playing some of the best defense since the last time he was here. Our offense is being run by last year's 3rd string QB. I was scared from the beginning about this. However, I will note that I along with many others drank way too much koolaid after the VT game. I was thinking we were a 2 loss team after that game. Pandora's box has now been opened. We can't put the lid back on. I'm assuming we'll see a lot more Cody Green from here on out which we should. He probably will start some games this year.

The Big 12 North isn't very good again. I had hoped with the downfall of OU that this would be the North's year, but lets face it the North is the ugly redheaded stepchild once again. We got beat by the 3rd or 4th best team in the South. Mizzou got beat by the 3rd or 4th best team in the South. Friggin KU got beat by one of the worst teams in the North. Right now, it appears that no one from the North wants to get the pummelling that is sure to occur in the Big 12 Championship game. Isn't KState now in the lead in the North? Does this make any of you that had Snyder and Leach as two of the worst coaches in the Big 12 rethink your order especially when you put Sherman ahead of them?

We should be able to count on wins against KState, Iowa State, and Baylor. I'm hopeful we can count on a win against CU, but they beat KU and looked pretty good for 2 1/2 to 3 quarters against Texass. Because KU lost to CU, I think we're still in the drivers seat for the Big 12 North. I don't see KU having anymore success against the South than any of the rest of us. We can still have a decent season and meet some/a lot of the goals set forth at the beginning of the year. I bet we're more than ready for Iowa State this weekend!

Getting a push upfront while the QB turns to hand off the ball would be a great start. Helu needs a running start, remember his effectivness against VT when Lee was under center? Plus it gives the O-line a chance to fire off the ball...this read and react crap just isn't working....fire off the damn ball and knock people backwards

I think what we're seeing is exactly what some/a lot predicted before the beginning of the season. We are more than likely a 4 loss team again. In year 2, Bo has I'd say "fixed" the defense. We're playing some of the best defense since the last time he was here. Our offense is being run by last year's 3rd string QB. I was scared from the beginning about this. However, I will note that I along with many others drank way too much koolaid after the VT game. I was thinking we were a 2 loss team after that game. Pandora's box has now been opened. We can't put the lid back on. I'm assuming we'll see a lot more Cody Green from here on out which we should. He probably will start some games this year.

The Big 12 North isn't very good again. I had hoped with the downfall of OU that this would be the North's year, but lets face it the North is the ugly redheaded stepchild once again. We got beat by the 3rd or 4th best team in the South. Mizzou got beat by the 3rd or 4th best team in the South. Friggin KU got beat by one of the worst teams in the North. Right now, it appears that no one from the North wants to get the pummelling that is sure to occur in the Big 12 Championship game. Isn't KState now in the lead in the North? Does this make any of you that had Snyder and Leach as two of the worst coaches in the Big 12 rethink your order especially when you put Sherman ahead of them?

We should be able to count on wins against KState, Iowa State, and Baylor. I'm hopeful we can count on a win against CU, but they beat KU and looked pretty good for 2 1/2 to 3 quarters against Texass. Because KU lost to CU, I think we're still in the drivers seat for the Big 12 North. I don't see KU having anymore success against the South than any of the rest of us. We can still have a decent season and meet some/a lot of the goals set forth at the beginning of the year. I bet we're more than ready for Iowa State this weekend!

Junior:

Your post is spot on with one potential exception that I would hold --- victories against KState, Baylor and Iowa State cannot be counted on --- at least in the sense that they are somehow expected or certain. I think these are the games we have the best chances of winning on the remaining schedule --- and each is winnable --- and I'd say we have a slightly better than 50/50 chance in each. But in no way are such victories assured. If we play as we did against TT, all three of these teams would have beaten us. The way we played, at home, last week, few decent teams in any major conference would not have beaten NU. I would not be surprised if we go 2-1 against KState/Iowa State/Baylor. If any of them play at or near their best and NU plays its average game (or worse) NU goes down.