True Reason for Offensive Struggles

It's the O-line, folks.

I don't buy this is a simple issue of facing better competition. If you recall, we ran the ball down V-Tech's throats in Blacksburg.

We've seen in the past two games how much trouble comes when you can't run the ball, or if you abandon the run. Whether it makes our playcalling too predictable or not, teams are not respecting the run anymore, and that puts even more pressure on Lee. Is he a good quarterback? I have my doubts. However, he's really working at a disadvantage right now. His O-line isn't getting a good push to control the running game, and he's getting a ton of pressure when he drops back.

I don't know if this is a talent issue, or a coaching issue, or we just need an attitude adjustment. But right now, I consider the O-line to be the main culprit for our offensive woes.

The goal for ISU should be 250+ yards of rushing. I don't care if it is against an inferior opponent. We need to start ramming the ball down team's throats again. That should help out Lee (or Green) and open up some passing lanes.

Why don't we help out the O-line then. Let's do a little straight ahead running with some helmet on helmet blocking. No thinking involved, just kill the guy in front of you. Let's get them good and aggressive early on and let them pound the D-line across from them. This will tire out them and hopefully give our line some confidence. I've heard people say our O-line is athletic but I don't see it. They do not move their feet well enough to pass block for long periods of time or to do alot of zone blocking. To me, they look more built to go straight ahead and pound on their guy. I don't remember for sure, but in the VTech game didn't we do alot of handoff runs and not so much of the zone read runs? I would have to look back for sure but I think we did. I feel Helu is our best offensive player. Why not do some sprint and stretch runs(as far as QB getting ball to RB)? Get the ball back to Helu as soon as you can so he can use his vision and burst. With the zone read it is hard to use your vision and the QB ends up making the call who is gonna run the ball.

Here is the be all end all reason. I hope you guys enjoy it.

The coaching staff has said for the longest time that they want to "take what the defense gives us" when it comes to offense.

The problem with this, is that the offense ISN'T taking what the defense is giving them. When the team runs every type of play imaginable (i.e. zone read, a few double tight end sets, screens, shovel passes, etc.) and NOTHING is working, I think it shows that the offense just doesn't know what it wants to do to attack the defense.

Yes, the o-line is stinking, the wide receivers are dropping balls, and the quarterback is making bad throws, but I think it is a little simpler than that. It appears that the offense just doesn't know what it wants to do. Sure, they know "how" to run everything, but they aren't accepting and executing what they want to do.

The real reason for the offensive struggles are not one thing. They are a culmination of things.

Offesnive Line: D-

Quarterback D

Receivers D

Offesnive Coaching D

Penalites F (F for the legit penalties and F for the Refs)

Fundamental Execution on Offense F

Along with injuries, motivation and attitude.

Those are the true reasonS ..

From what I have seen Lee fails to find open receivers in a reasonable amount of time. Either that or the receivers are unable to get separation, but I would guess it is mostly on Lee since the very good quarterbacks can often make people open with throws to the appropriate places. Sometimes he sits there, scans the field, moves up in the pocket, scans the field, rolls out, scans the field, and STILL cannot hit an open man. that is all on the quarterback.

From what I have seen Lee fails to find open receivers in a reasonable amount of time. Either that or the receivers are unable to get separation, but I would guess it is mostly on Lee since the very good quarterbacks can often make people open with throws to the appropriate places. Sometimes he sits there, scans the field, moves up in the pocket, scans the field, rolls out, scans the field, and STILL cannot hit an open man. that is all on the quarterback.

EXACTLY!

EXACTLY!

unless after all that scanning there is nobody open.

Lee refuses to go down field. You have to do that or they load the box even on short out patterns.

There is no concern for us airing it out during the game. If we plan to throw to the TE it is normally telegraphed in advance by them coming into the game and immediately leaving after the play.

A coach can only call what his offense is capable of. Normally dictated by what his QB is capable of.

Football smartz are lacking on this team. Coaching is not the problem in my mind.

If Coach Osborne thinks Watson has the credentials to do the job, he most likely does.

That leaves one thing missing and one thing only.

Figure it out.