My thoughts on a sunday morning

Husker66

What a year. I took a bet from a guy in my office this summer that NU would win the North, maybe not win the big 12, but win the North. His was just an uneducated(lol) bet against NU and mine was based upon the following analysis at the moment.

At the time it seemed simple. the NU program was headed in the right direction. we had just gone 8-1 after the OT loss to TT on a bad decision by Ganz. we won against CU and Clemson in BIG come-from-behind fashion which was not typical at NU. We were returning most of what I thought was a good base set of guys on offense, 2 good guys at RB with a developing bullpen behind them. The big ? was QB1 and the loss of couple big play recievers. We had put together one of the best defenses in the country and they were mostly all coming back. Suh was going to play his senior year( which I thought said something)

Our competition favored our run to Dallas in December.

MU was depleted at almost every position and had a tough schedule but they were MU and we needed to beat them at home

KU basically had no defense and had the 4 guys left Briscoe, meyer, sharp and Reesing. KU also had a tougher schedule. We beat them last year and I thought we had come farther than them by the time would meet again

CU's program seemed to be in disarray with the Hawkins(s)

KSU was trying to figure out who the hell the coach was going to be and going after Juco players because they had obvious problems with recruiting.

ISU never really entered my mind with a new coach, they were still ISU

NU had an easier schedule, returned a bunch of starters, hadd swagger and momentum. it looked like we building back to a winning program, not the 90's, but a strong program

Then Castille gets let go for being stupid, VT showed us our O could not score in the red zone and we left a lot of points on the field in that one just like yesterday, and then all the injuries to our backs, WIL, etc.

Now? if this trend continues we could be onto the worst season since 1961 if we lose to Baylor and all the way out( which at this point is arguably a possibility unless the offense has a miraculous turn around). Now the talk is of maybe we should let a few coaches go? how will recruiting be impacted? 2010 is a rebuilding year? wait, 2010 we were supoosed to really be loaded!

For all the red ass meltdown on this board right now, I think this is less about the losses to TT and ISU and more that deep down we are all questioning the viability of this program. Nebraska Football is maybe at the greatest risk it has been in 40 years. Don't get me wrong, I think we have a lot of the right pieces, but this is still very fragile.

I am just hoping and praying we get it figured out. And as wacky as this season has been, I think you could argue it can happen. When ISU and CU can come out of nowhere to lead the north, when A & M can get destroyed week after week and then shell TT, when OU is fighting to stay bowl illigible after being a legit contender for heisman and NC, I have faith and hope this funk we are in will lift. But make no mistake about it, the organization and program is still at great risk. that is what bothers me the most. just my thoughts on a sunday morning.

Good morning Husker66... Yeah a lot of us thought this was the north champ. I think we could well lose all the rest of these games. The days of thinking we win just by stepping on the field, are long gone. All though I must admit, I was starting to feel like that this season, especially after the close lose at VT. In reality that game was really a look at what was to come, but how could anyone see that then. I looked at the VT game as if we just hadn't dropped that pass, got that holding call, missed one pass coverage.

I can't blame the coaches or even Lee for Saturdays debacle. No matter how people think Lee played [i for one would like to see Cody start] he played good enough to win. Two fumbles inside the one and six more turn overs that killed at least two more scoring drives, lost this game not Lee or the coaches. This falls on the players like it or not.

OK I'm ready to beat Baylor. :)

GBR!!!

This team is as unwatchable as the Cleveland Browns right now. I don't think I'm going to watch too many complete Husker games for the rest of the year. College football is entertainment for me, so I think I might start watching other games that are more fun to watch. Sitting around for 3+ hours watching this team try to scrounge up more points than turnovers seems kind of silly at this point. I'll follow them but watching the game yesterday afternoon was a waste of three hours. :lol:

This team is as unwatchable as the Cleveland Browns right now. I don't think I'm going to watch too many complete Husker games for the rest of the year. College football is entertainment for me, so I think I might start watching other games that are more fun to watch. Sitting around for 3+ hours watching this team try to scrounge up more points than turnovers seems kind of silly at this point. I'll follow them but watching the game yesterday afternoon was a waste of three hours. :lol:

:yeah

I think TO will intervene at some level.

There are 2 main problems as I see it.

1.) Bo is not involved in the offense.

2.) Watson, while being a smart guy whom I generally like, needs to make a radical change in his approach, or he is out.

It will be a sad day if Osborne intervenes before he is asked. We don't need an Al Davis in Lincoln.

We have group of Vanilla players running an offense that requires more talent than we have. What good are "fast" receivers if they can't catch the ball? To hell with the 4 wide stuff, bring in 2 TE's a fullback and run the ball till better talent comes along.

2.) Watson, while being a smart guy whom I generally like, needs to make a radical change in his approach, or he is out.

It will be a sad day if Osborne intervenes before he is asked. We don't need an Al Davis in Lincoln.

We have group of Vanilla players running an offense that requires more talent than we have. What good are "fast" receivers if they can't catch the ball? To hell with the 4 wide stuff, bring in 2 TE's a fullback and run the ball till better talent comes along.

EXACTLY!!!! I mean, sh#t, if we can run the ball (meaning we would have to hold on to it and not fumble every 4th carry :bang ) and chew up clock and possibly score 2 touchdowns and a couple field goals, our DEFENSE has the skill and talent to win the f'ing game for us. What is it with Watson not understanding that if something is NOT WORKING, you don't keep beating your head against the wall, hoping it suddenly will.

I believe that's the definition of insanity...

Everyone seems to want to just run the ball down opponents throats, while I agree to an extent, we will lose on recruiting top notch qb's and wr's if all we do is run. We need to keep throwing the ball, just simplify the playbook. Use our running to take control of the game or to be our fallback if we need it. Keep throwing the ball until one of two things happen, the wr's finally figure out how to catch or these stud recruits at qb and wr start saying, hey they want to throw the ball they just need me to catch it or throw it, I'm in!!!

The other thing that I want to see is attacking the holes on running plays, the quicker we get through a hole, the better our OL will be. They don't have to hold the holes as long and thuss not as tired as the game wears on. I'm not a big fan of sweeps and pitches, To slow, Get the ball to the back and go straight up the field, let our backs be athletes and make plays.

Same with recievers, quick, high percentage throws, and let the wr make a play. 4 yard slants over and over again, make every down managable. Eliminate 200 of the plays we have, most of them are the same anyway, or we don't use 150 of them so why have them. It's time to go back to basics and use the K.I.S.S. method!!!

if they would have just decided to get a field goal and take the lead the defense would have won it for them!

At some point in the Red Zone after all these red zone failures since the VT game you just take the lead...

In the zone take the 3 and the lead!

The Red Zone problems were never adressed by BO or Watson and again are unresolved!

What happens when we are 5-7 and no bowl bid and unranked? Date certain Nov 27, end of NU season!

if they would have just decided to get a field goal and take the lead the defense would have won it for them!

At some point in the Red Zone after all these red zone failures since the VT game you just take the lead...

In the zone take the 3 and the lead!

The Red Zone problems were never adressed by BO or Watson and again are unresolved!

What happens when we are 5-7 and no bowl bid and unranked? Date certain Nov 27, end of NU season!

yeah right, kick a FG on first or second down in the 3rd quarter to take the lead :wtf

I would really hate to se Watson go but this offense is awful. I could deal with struggels on the offensive side of the ball if it showed progress, however this offense has moved backwards week after week the O seems worse than it was the week before at this rate by the CU game we will be gaining negitve yardage and I may need to seek help to help me deal with the dissapointment this season has produced some type of change needs to happen NOW.

What is a waste is reading this board full of comments from spineless fans who aren't tough enough to follow the team through tough times. Sayonara.

I would really hate to se Watson go but this offense is awful. I could deal with struggels on the offensive side of the ball if it showed progress, however this offense has moved backwards week after week the O seems worse than it was the week before at this rate by the CU game we will be gaining negitve yardage and I may need to seek help to help me deal with the dissapointment this season has produced some type of change needs to happen NOW.

They have lost their confidence, Zac is not going back and planting his feet and throwing off his rhytym. He should probably start out under center and try to get his passing in sync. But it may be time to install Cody. But if he fails what do we do then?

EXACTLY!!!! I mean, sh#t, if we can run the ball (meaning we would have to hold on to it and not fumble every 4th carry :bang ) and chew up clock and possibly score 2 touchdowns and a couple field goals, our DEFENSE has the skill and talent to win the f'ing game for us. What is it with Watson not understanding that if something is NOT WORKING, you don't keep beating your head against the wall, hoping it suddenly will.

I believe that's the definition of insanity...

Lee cannot run the ball in any way, shape or form... Watts would need to admit a QB change is needed and I don't see any sign of that at this point.

P.S. And that is not insanity, that is an unbelievable Callaclown attitude left over... I'm starting to wonder if we need to go through another round of treatment for that desease.