Brooks Out, Helu Healthy

typ3kal

Meh. "Better than he's been in a few weeks" doesn't mean much. Typical coachspeak.

I have to wonder if Roy even sees the field. If he does, and he fumbles again, who takes the fall for that? If he's not healthy, DON'T PLAY HIM.

Couldn't agree with you more. Helu was rather unproductive in the game against ISU even without the fumbles.

The thing that really worries me about Helu is his pass pro. You could tell he was not at full go and was leading with his left shoulder to knock guys out of the way. You can't play football like that. There comes a point where we just need to sit him, let him get healthy, and let one of the younger guys step up.

helu 100% right thats why hes in a green jersey all week..

They would have Helu in a Green jersey even if he weren't injured imo.

Due to the deficiencies and loss of Ibacks this season, he is the treasured and proverbial golden goose.

then why wasn't he wearing a green jersey during practice the whole season?

Due to the deficiencies and loss of Ibacks this season, he is the treasured and proverbial golden goose.

then wasn't he wearing a green jersey during practice the whole season?

I think you mean why hasn't he?

Well, I can't hardly think of a week other than before FAU or the bye week where he hasn't worn the green practice jersey. I could be wrong though, but since Rex went down they have been hands off with him.

One of our insiders can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Helu has been Green Jersey at least one practice every week since FAU. I don't think it's been every practice like the last week or two, but at least once.

Here's the thing, though - we've had durability questions with Helu throughout his career, and here we are again with Helu dinged up. Some guys just play under an unlucky star, and Helu seems to be one of them. That shoulder injury against Missouri was a freak thing. We've all seen hundreds of tackles like that where the guy gets up, no problem. This time... not so much.

Here's hoping Ward/Okafor/Robinson or someone else (preferable two or more) guys can really step up and Roy can basically rest for the duration of the season, because like someone said up there ^^^ I don't want to see him done and done because we used him too much hurt this year.

Well, I can't hardly think of a week other than before FAU or the bye week where he hasn't worn the green practice jersey. I could be wrong though, but since Rex went down they have been hands off with him.

Maybe he meant what he typed. WHO Cares. it is a message board not a term paper. :bang

Maybe he meant what he typed. WHO Cares. it is a message board not a term paper. :bang

Well, he clearly didn't.. Read the post above you. If people aren't going to make coherent statements then it is impossible to have a discussion. I'm not the grammar nazi on this board. I just needed to clarify the question before I answered it and not another question. :nanalama:restore:wasted

I am hoping that Tray starts at IB.

That Cooper and Kinnie start at WR.

McNeil and Reed start at TE.

And that Green starts at QB.

That would be a young lineup.

Cooper is starting at WR, not sure about Kinnie. I would like to see Reed get his hands on the ball to show what he can do.

Not sure why Helu was playing at all against Iowa State and I don't know why we would start him against Baylor. It's quite obvious that he is hurting alot regardless of what he or the coaches say. He has hardly fumbled and then against Iowa State he fumbles twice? Sorry, but something is seriously wrong with him and if he insists on playing, let him play in meaningful games like Oklahoma and/or Kansas. We should not have needed him against Iowa State and we shouldn't need him for Baylor. LET HIM REST!

I would be surprised to see Green start. Frankly, I would be surprised if he saw any meaningful snaps. The coaching staff has seemed pretty gung ho with Lee, and even if he has a great game against Baylor - which is a slim chance based on his past performances - he will definitely do horrible against a D like Oklahoma. Sorry to be so down on the kid, but I have no confidence in him at all, and the way he slugs around on the field, it appears that he (and perhaps some of his offensive teammates) have no confidence in him as well.

Well all of this isn't as bad as it looks on the surface we can hope. None of us know for sure what is going on inside the organiztion, but it certainly doesn't look like a confident cohesive team anymore.

This is a situation that you would like to have a more experienced coach handling. This is a situation that you would like to have a great offensive leader on offense, preferably the QB taking charge. Unfortunately we have neither and this could get real ugly.

Now if they are saying Green vs Lee is "gameday decision" every week in an effort to motivate Lee and keep Green's hopes up it is a losing strategy and reeks of being a clueless staff. Particularly if Green doesn't get a snap and we lose game after game. If Green is clearly inferior, some of our Lee proponents act like Green has a learning disability that keeps him from reaching the field for a couple years, then stop talking about him being a possible game day pick! It does a disservice to both players. I personally cannot fathom a case that Lee is the future of this football team, but that's just me. Of course if Green comes in and does well, then all of the people claiming it would be stupid to start him and Bo knows what he is doing....will say what???

Helu is obviously injured but wants to play and Pelini I think is an emotional coach rather than a pragmatic knowledgeable one at this point in his career. He likes the "warrior" spirit and it has it's place. Of course it got us two fumbles last week and I'd imagine more time needed for the shoulder to heal.

We had some positives last week including the young running back that was chastised by a teamate for a turnover whereas Helu was not, Lee was not. What's that do to a young player struggling for extra yardage?

This team is as fragile as can be right now. A blowout of Baylor would be the best medicine in the world. It's possible with Baylor's troubles that we will rack up a lot of points behind Lee and whoever is our RB. But I would not count on that happening. And if it does, it will be the same chest thumping like Wats did after Sunbelt wins about how great Lee and the offense performed. And then OU will b-slap us in something that can only be described as X-rated. We will have not moved forward as a team and the finger pointing will start.

I am as worried about how Bo handles this as I am about the way the individual players perform. The way he performs now will tell us a lot about whether we will be back to a sound program or wander in the wilderness for another decade.

None of the elite players are going to be interested in this program if we are losing and there is a perception that the coach is not in control and the players are lacking discipline and desire.

These next few games are huge. It is important that we beat Baylor and not get blown out by OU. If the reverse of that happens, turn out the lights, the party is over. Saturday is our chance to extend the party!