Jason Peter on BRWU

You missed my point. I LISTENED to the guy and stated my opinion. I said he's a fried bananna. You can also state your opinion as you have. I included his past history as to why I think is a fried bananna much as I have expressed what I think of you IRA. The elevator doesn't go to the top floor any longer as far as I am concerned with this guy. Why was he on the show? There may be other past heroin addicts that turned out to win the Nobel Prize and such. Hopefully one will be your heart surgeon someday. But regardless. I was using Teafatiller as an example in the DUI statement and sure as hell some nancyboy had to jump all over that to. So go hug a tree, and give a hug to the addict pissing by it, don't forget what I think about you, and hire a recovered drug addict to clean your house..... you're so trusting.

I always remember JP being that way! He was always out on left field making random comments or pissing people off. You either love or hate the guy. But regardless, he says whatever he thinks! IMO, he seemed like he's come out of his past a better person, and I never thought, "Wow this guy is a past heroin addict, he just seems fried, and I'm going to completely discredit everything he says because of it... etc, etc"

I always remember JP being that way! He was always out on left field making random comments or pissing people off. You either love or hate the guy. But regardless, he says whatever he thinks! IMO, he seemed like he's come out of his past a better person, and I never thought, "Wow this guy is a past heroin addict, he just seems fried, and I'm going to completely discredit everything he says because of it... etc, etc"

I sorta thought so too...(JP being like that long before drugs)..

I just figured it had more to do with what position he played..I know I got a little crazier when I switched from OLB to DE my Sr. year.

It was funner in a way. :box and the voices made much more sense. :dumdum

Two former Huskers I really want to see on our staff one day; Jason Peter and Scott Frost.

I like Jason Peter. I like what he says on the radio, and I happen to enjoy his rants and intensity. At the same time, I think hiring him onto the staff, from an neutral perspective, would be utter nonsense. He has been well established not only as a great Husker in the 90s, but also a self-admitted narcotics addict, who has suffered from depression and suicidal tendencies after his playing days were done. All of this has been confirmed by himself, via the HBO Real Sports interview, his book, and numerous interviews. While I admire his admission and courage to fight such a beast, these things still happened. Also, since these events happened already, his chances of relapsing are more likely than someone who has never encountered such ordeals. Is that a risk that the Athletic Dept. and Husker Nation are willing to accept? If so, then we could pardon Lawrence Phillips and Thunder Collins and make them coach the running backs (went too far whoops).

From the inside as a Husker fan, I would hope he gets a chance if he ever wanted to pursue a spot on the staff.

As a outsider (like a future recruit), I think it's just too risky.

You missed my point. I LISTENED to the guy and stated my opinion. I said he's a fried bananna. You can also state your opinion as you have. I included his past history as to why I think is a fried bananna much as I have expressed what I think of you IRA. The elevator doesn't go to the top floor any longer as far as I am concerned with this guy. Why was he on the show? There may be other past heroin addicts that turned out to win the Nobel Prize and such. Hopefully one will be your heart surgeon someday. But regardless. I was using Teafatiller as an example in the DUI statement and sure as hell some nancyboy had to jump all over that to. So go hug a tree, and give a hug to the addict pissing by it, don't forget what I think about you, and hire a recovered drug addict to clean your house..... you're so trusting.

:wtf

cscott..... dude. I don't even know what to say about this tangent you went on.

I have some experience with addiction. I have family members who are currently in a bad way. I have some close friends who have gone through it and come out the other side. I've battled some things myself.

Bottom line is, you're dead wrong about your analysis of the capacities of addicts. Dead wrong.

It's a case-by-case basis. There are guys who go through hell, find a great support system, and move through it. There are guys in exactly the same situation with exactly the same support system who go back. And back. And back. You cannot throw every addict under the bus because of their addictions just the same as you cannot give them all a pass on their troubles.

I'd love for you to meet JP. I met him very briefly at a coffee shop a while ago. Dude was cordial to me and my family, when clearly he was just trying to be a citizen buying some coffee. He's all right in my book.

I read his book just a couple of months ago. He doesn't pull punches, and he doesn't gloss it over. He describes quite clearly the lying, cheating, underhanded guy he became. He describes the stupid, illegal, dangerous stuff he did. The very title is self-mockery, and skewers his own persona at the time. It's a good read. A tough read. But very much worth it.

I'm not going to stand here and tell you that you have to respect Jason Peter. He's done some pretty unsavory things. I'm saying that you could give the guy an honest chance, and like/dislike him on his current merits, not on his addictive past.

I would have a lot less really, really great people in my life if we all behaved the way you're behaving. I know giants who have gone through addiction. You're missing out by casting them all with the same, crummy die.

I'm really not sure why you have such an issue with me or Jason Peter. Either the guy did something to you or someone you know or a drug addict of some kind has affected your life in a negative way because you sure are adamant about this. The fact that you also said that if someone like scott frost made these comments you'd be more open to them is sad. You are discrediting everything he says based on his past but admit that what he said was ok. I can read your posts in the future and not sit there and say "oh boy there goes scott again, he calls me names so he's full of crap."

If Jason Peter was to be a coach he has to learn the rules of college football first, and make his historic references he uses on the radio somewhat accurate. Like quarterbacks starting in their first seasons and having offense, look at Tommie and Gill on the road in their first year. He is an annoying idiot. The quote in my signature is directly from a show this year after Deans hit on the punt returner. Idiot

If Jason Peter was to be a coach he has to learn the rules of college football first, and make his historic references he uses on the radio somewhat accurate. Like quarterbacks starting in their first seasons and having offense, look at Tommie and Gill on the road in their first year. He is an annoying idiot. The quote in my signature is directly from a show this year after Deans hit on the punt returner. Idiot

Oh, come on. That rule was in place when he played. Sure he had been corrected now. You have 10 posts and your sig is an anti-JP comment.

Ya, I'll listen to your objective opinion on this matter.

Jason Peter said tonight that he isn't worried about Watson being an inadequate QB coach because of the job he did with Joe Ganz and Zac Taylor. Sigh.

Zac Taylor - 2005 - 2006

Shawn Watson - 2006 (Tight ends and Recruiting Coordinator), 2007 - present (OC/QBs)

That's why I don't like Jason Peter . . . he just doesn't seem very smart. Plus his petulant/angry/frustrated tone grates on my nerves. There is no way this guy has a radio career if he wasn't a former player. In fact, I wonder sometimes how that was enough to land him a job.

Jason Peter said tonight that he isn't worried about Watson being an inadequate QB coach because of the job he did with Joe Ganz and Zac Taylor. Sigh.

Zac Taylor - 2005 - 2006

Shawn Watson - 2006 (Tight ends and Recruiting Coordinator), 2007 - present (OC/QBs)

That's why I don't like Jason Peter . . . he just doesn't seem very smart. Plus his petulant/angry/frustrated tone grates on my nerves. There is no way this guy has a radio career if he wasn't a former player. In fact, I wonder sometimes how that was enough to land him a job.

You try filling three hours of air time with patter five days a week and see how easy it is. So he messed up on a point or two. You really think it's worth tossing him under the bus for that?

I get your take on his tone. It takes some getting used to. He's got that New Jersey whine that, when I first heard it, made me wince. Once I looked past that and realized he really, truly cares about this program and wants what's best for it, his voice became easier to take. And his analyses, while off on facts sometimes, provide more insight into what we all want this program to be than any other journalist, TV personality or radio host out there in local media, bar none.

This is a guy whose resume harks back to the Glory Days. This is a guy who really, truly Gets It. If you're not interested in listening to him... who do you want to listen to? :dunno

I'm sick and tired of Jason Peter bringing up the his playing days and comparing every team to the Husker teams of the mid 90's.

I don't listen to his radio show anymore, same ole, same ole.

I'm sick and tired of NU looking like sh*t everytime we play anybody even somewhat decent. The last six years have been pathetic at best.

Teams of the 90s my ass......teams of the 70s and 80s are light years above the crap on the field I've seen every since we brought in Callahan.

I don't necessarily agree with this. Do you remember the 2002 season? Even in 2003, we struggled horribly against good/great competition. Remember when Washington and Colorado rode into town in the early 90's? Remember the 7 bowl losses in a row encountered by TO and the Huskers in which quite a few were blowouts against good/great competition. Was this Iowa State team we lost to last Saturday worse than the one Frazier and company lost to in 1992?

Check out this 4 year stretch for TO and company in bowl games against good/great competition:

January 2, 1989 Miami 23 Nebraska 3 1989 Orange Bowl

January 1, 1990 Florida State 41 Nebraska 17 1990 Fiesta Bowl

January 1, 1991 Georgia Tech 45 Nebraska 21 1991 Citrus Bowl

January 1, 1992 Miami 22 Nebraska 0 1992 Orange Bowl

Consequently, TO is the only Husker coach to ever get shut out in a bowl game. We've looked like crap against good/great competition long before Clownahan was hired.

Here's a trip down memory lane. I don't agree with some of these belonging on the Worst Losses, but here they are:

1. Florida State 18-16, ’94 Orange Bowl -- The Huskers found themselves in the unfamiliar role of 17-point underdogs heading into the game against Florida State, led by Heisman Trophy winner Charlie Ward. Nebraska outplayed the top-ranked Seminoles, outrushing them 183-47 and holding a 389-333 edge in total yardage. The game came down to a Byron Bennett field-goal attempt, which sailed wide to the left as time ran out. This loss prevented the Huskers from becoming the first team to win three national championships in a row. Ugh!

2. Texas 37-27, ’96 Big 12 Championship Game -- Before the game, Longhorns QB James Brown predicted -- guaranteed-- a Texas win. Unfortunately, he was a man of his word. The Huskers’ troubles began before the game did. Throughout the week leading up to the contest, two-thirds of NU's starters suffered a bad strain of the flu, likely contracted in the cold, rainy game against Colorado a week earlier. The Blackshirts had lost their best player (linebacker Terrell Farley, who was dismissed from the team after being arrested for DUI) and the flu-riddled, realigned defense wasn’t up to the task. The famous fourth-down conversion by Texas sealed the Huskers’ fate and kept Nebraska from playing -- and probably beating -- Florida State in the Sugar Bowl for the national championship.

3. Arizona State 19-0, ’96 -- The Sun Devils' Jake Plummer-led offense managed a touchdown on the game's opening drive, but that was Arizona State's only trip to the end zone. Two Husker turnovers led to two ASU field goals, and the sputtering NU offense gave up three safeties. Their win put the Sun Devils in the national title hunt, which ended in the Rose Bowl -- ASU's only loss of the season.

4. Iowa State 19-10, ’92 -- In the words of a great American, “What the f**k was up with that s**t?!” On the heels of dominating wins over No. 8 Colorado and No. 13 Kansas, the Huskers simply forgot to show up in Ames, Iowa. Nebraska was held to 192 yards rushing while ISU quarterback Marv Seiler ran for 144 all by himself. One of Tom Osborne’s most inexcusable losses in his 25-year reign as Nebraska’s coach.

5. Colorado 27-12, ’90 -- Ahh, yes. Four fourth-quarter touchdowns by CU tailback Eric Bienemy against NU's quitter defense in the rain at Memorial Stadium. The Huskers had the game in hand, leading 12-0 after three quarters, but fell apart in the final 15 minutes.

6. Texas 24-20, ’99 -- The Huskers fumbled twice inside the 10-yard line -- once at the goal line -- to virtually hand the Longhorns the game. Nebraska outplayed Texas, outgaining the Longhorns in first downs (23-13), rushing yardage (192-62) and total yardage (429-275), and holding a 34:13-25:47 time of possession advantage. The loss kept the 12-1 Huskers from a national championship-deciding date with Florida State in the Sugar Bowl.

7. Texas 20-16, ’98 -- Texas had Heisman Trophy winner Ricky Williams. Nebraska had several starters injured and freshman quarterback Eric Crouch at the helm. It should've been enough, but cornerback Erwin Swiney's blown coverage on two key third-and-long situations gave the Longhorns the boost they needed to end the Huskers' 47-game win streak at Memorial Stadium.

8. Kansas State 40-30, ’98 -- Against what probably was Kansas State's best team, the injury-slowed Huskers held their own, trading points with the Wildcats to set up the deciding fourth quarter. But a blatant, uncalled facemask on Husker quarterback Eric Crouch on fourth down ended NU's upset dreams. The play would have given the Huskers the ball near midfield with more than two minutes remaining, trailing by four.

9. Oklahoma 45-10, ’90 -- Rout city. Nebraska quarterback Mickey Joseph was injured early when he slid into the bench and severed his thigh, knocking him from the game. That set the tone for the day, as the Sooners moved the ball through the air at will against the worst Husker team of the decade, giving Oklahoma Coach Gary Gibbs the only win he would ever get against Nebraska.

10. Washington 36-21, ’91 -- The Huskers had ‘em, then let ‘em off the hook. Nebraska led 14-6 at halftime. But Washington, led by quarterback Billy Joe Hobert's 286 passing yards, bombarded NU with 20 fourth-quarter points. Meanwhile, the Husky defense, led by All-American Steve Emtman, closed the door on NU's comeback attempts. It would be the last loss at Memorial Stadium until the '98 Texas game.

Your not seriously comparing those loses to the loses that Callahan/Watson offense have incurred? So i guess a loss to a top 5 team in a bowl game against teams that are playing in their own state is comparable to losing to Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Iowa State, Missou all at home. Lets not even go into the losses away. :wtf