Something I noticed about our defense...

Saunders

I would rather not see out defense give up 400-500 yards because this would mean the other team's offense is on the field the better part of the game. If this is the case, then it will be hard for our offense to score 20 or more.

Yup. It's that bend to break mentality that Bo preaches finally kicking in. In numerous games this year teams have put up a good 40 or 60 yard drive on us but more than not it ends in a FG or punt.

I can remember many times when we have given up a 20 or 30 yard play due to a missed tackle or blown coverage but we dont panic we just keep playing solid d the rest of the drive. That is a big upgrade from last year.

exactly. last year, when plays like that happened they seemed to deflate our defense. now, we can recover and still pull out a stop.

Our defense is very good. In fact, they've given up even fewer that the stats show. Gabbert was six inches short at the end of the half. The brilliant backwards WR screen pass that we stared at while Tech's slow defender took 80 yards on us had nothing to do with the defense, and the same thing with Green's pick six against Baylor.

But I'm not convinced our defense is great yet. I think we still need more talent at DB and LB before we will really be great. If we hold Oklahoma to 10 points I'll change my mind.

I agree. Our LB and secondary play has gotten alot better, but if they were great, they would have more interceptions and wouldn't drop balls that are thrown right to them. In my opinion, the only thing keeping this defense from being great is turnovers.

Wow, both of you really don't have a clue about the game of football do you?

Please enlighten us poor serfs then...

There's no reason to try risky things when you can be pretty sure the other guy isn't going to do anything. Perfect example, ISU. They didn't take any chances after they get the lead, because it was quite obvious we were stepping all over ourselves. No reason the throw a risky pass when you can play conservative and let the other guy strangle himself.

That's true, but you also have to figure, teams aren't really taking chances against us. They know our O is weak, and by hanging around, they have a good chance to get a TO from our offensive ineptitude. If our O was better, teams would have to take more chances and shots downfield to keep close, thus enabling our guys a better chance at turnovers. Plus, we've dropped a retarded amount of interceptions.

Yeah, but you could also say our defense looks really good because teams don't need to take chances down the field and therefore, aren't getting the big time plays.

That argument works both ways.

You missed my point. I was referring to you saying the D wasn't elite because of turnovers. I simply pointed out a possibility.

As for the defense looking good, it's quite obvious that it is. Teams aren't getting long sustained drives, and like my evidence showed, they aren't scoring a bunch on us either.

You missed my point. I was referring to you saying the D wasn't elite because of turnovers. I simply pointed out a possibility.

As for the defense looking good, it's quite obvious that it is. Teams aren't getting long sustained drives, and like my evidence showed, they aren't scoring a bunch on us either.

I got your point, and I do agree the defense looks good. Unfortunately Bo paid too much attention to the D and not enough to the offense.

I got your point, and I do agree the defense looks good. Unfortunately Bo paid too much attention to the D and not enough to the offense.

That we can both agree on. However, we do have a lot of youth, and inexperience right now. We'll see what happens!

The 2003 Blackshirts had 32 interceptions. That's unheard of... most years the national leader has between 24 and 26. 32 is the record for the modern era (Penn St. had 33 in 1940). The great 1999 Blackshirts (Mike and Ralph Brown, Keyou Craver) had 18. This season we have 7. Iowa leads the country with 18 and four games left to play. They'll be lucky to get to 25.

Our defense is very good. In fact, they've given up even fewer that the stats show. Gabbert was six inches short at the end of the half. The brilliant backwards WR screen pass that we stared at while Tech's slow defender took 80 yards on us had nothing to do with the defense, and the same thing with Green's pick six against Baylor.

But I'm not convinced our defense is great yet. I think we still need more talent at DB and LB before we will really be great. If we hold Oklahoma to 10 points I'll change my mind.

Not to mention the safety of Alex Henery at Misery.

I would rather not see out defense give up 400-500 yards because this would mean the other team's offense is on the field the better part of the game. If this is the case, then it will be hard for our offense to score 20 or more.

Fundamentally speaking, I think you are incorrect here. Just my opinion, of course

I don't think that is what it necessarily means at all. You can have 400-500 yards game and be on the field significantly less than the other team. The TT v. NU game in 2008. TT put up 421 net yards of offense in 19 minutes and 48 seconds. Even though Nebraska out-gained them, and out-T.O.P.'d them, we still came up short.

So, like I said, yards given up don't matter to me as long as you are holding them to low scores.

I would like to see the D start holding on to the picks. We still drop more than we catch. Turnovers can help offset our offensive woes.

But overall it is very impressive just how far this D has come since the trainwreck of '07. In two years we've jumped a hundred spots in the rankings.

The 2003 Blackshirts had 32 interceptions. That's unheard of... most years the national leader has between 24 and 26. 32 is the record for the modern era (Penn St. had 33 in 1940). The great 1999 Blackshirts (Mike and Ralph Brown, Keyou Craver) had 18. This season we have 7. Iowa leads the country with 18 and four games left to play. They'll be lucky to get to 25.

Yes, that is true. The 2003 defense was good at forcing the turnover. That unit also got WORKED by Texas, Missouri and K-State.

The goal of the defense and special teams is to create field position for the offense. Both have done that very well for NU this year. We just simply do not have an offense that can take advantage of those chances, with the exception of the MU game.

If Oklahoma gets good field position consistently on Saturday, they will blow us out. It is that simple.

We have to play field position ball and get whatever shots in that we can on offense.

The fact that we have played generally mediocre or lousy offensive teams (and still lost to three of them) should be included before we start thinking we have a great overall defense. We have the best player in college football, another very good tackle and a couple ends that are quite capable. Beyond that our defense is not spectactular at all.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy that with the dismal offense the D has kept us in games that we would have likely lost the last couple years.

TT is not the powerhouse that they were in former years as evidenced by a buttwhippping that ATM gave them. I think OU is obviously off their game lacking Bradford and Pettigrew, but I will feel a lot better if their offense doesn't run up and down the field. It will tell us a lot about our game with KSU since they were able to move the ball and hold OU to keep it close deep into the game. If we do that then I will join in the kudos to the overall D.

This will be the big test for the D. The last few years we've had teams come in here and embarass us in games like tomorrow's and it seemed that the D just stopped trying. Tomorrow I hope that stops! Perhaps a great game from the D will give a spark to the O.

The fact that we have played generally mediocre or lousy offensive teams (and still lost to three of them) should be included before we start thinking we have a great overall defense. We have the best player in college football, another very good tackle and a couple ends that are quite capable. Beyond that our defense is not spectactular at all.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy that with the dismal offense the D has kept us in games that we would have likely lost the last couple years.

TT is not the powerhouse that they were in former years as evidenced by a buttwhippping that ATM gave them. I think OU is obviously off their game lacking Bradford and Pettigrew, but I will feel a lot better if their offense doesn't run up and down the field. It will tell us a lot about our game with KSU since they were able to move the ball and hold OU to keep it close deep into the game. If we do that then I will join in the kudos to the overall D.

This will be the big test for the D. The last few years we've had teams come in here and embarass us in games like tomorrow's and it seemed that the D just stopped trying. Tomorrow I hope that stops! Perhaps a great game from the D will give a spark to the O.

Pettigrew played for OSU. I think you are probably talking about Gresham.

I will be waiting to see what this defense does against Oklahoma. Hopefully they can hold their own and hold onto a few picks to keep us in the game. I really am not expecting our offense to do a whole lot. I think we would be lucky if they put up ten points, and that may be generous.

Fundamentally speaking, I think you are incorrect here. Just my opinion, of course

I don't think that is what it necessarily means at all. You can have 400-500 yards game and be on the field significantly less than the other team. The TT v. NU game in 2008. TT put up 421 net yards of offense in 19 minutes and 48 seconds. Even though Nebraska out-gained them, and out-T.O.P.'d them, we still came up short.

So, like I said, yards given up don't matter to me as long as you are holding them to low scores.

I realize this, and you could make the same argument for Mizzou last year when they had one of the worst TOP but had one of the best offenses. However, I see these as exceptions to the rule rather than the rule. If OU puts up 400-500 yards on us Saturday, the game won't even be close even if our D bends but doesn't break.