Don't Tell This Guy To "Sit Down"

A - Gotta love interesting debates.... :snacks:

B - Come on people! I am a recent graduate of the University and have now experienced many games from both the student section and the land of the blue hairs. What no one is saying is that when we are destroying UL-Lafayette and some jackhole is standing still in the 4th quarter, yes it is completely warranted for someone to ask them to sit. When we are in a 7 point game late versus Oklahoma on ABC's prime-time broadcast, it is completely warranted (and necessary) for fans to stand and cheer as loud as humanly possible. I was incredibly impressed with the saavy of the north endzone fans this past weekend, and it was almost as loud there as it was in the student section vs. Texas and Oklahoma in years past. Universal stances will get you nowhere people, it is okay to meet in the middle sometimes!

C - Please beat KU!

my brother said no one in his section sat down all nite. We've had tix there the last few years and the VT, Mizzery, and the final 10 minutes of the Colorado game everyone stood.

But he said the OU game was the best since the early 90s

I am going the KSUcks game next week and not sitting down all game. if anyone complains, i'll just say Bo said to add some juice and get the crowd up.

Fans need to use their better judgment and common sense on when to stand and not to stand. It's a fine line between the person sitting in front and the person sitting behind. Some standing is fine as long as it isn't the whole game, except in the student section. At least we now have the video screens during the times we don't want to stand behind the people standing.

i dont condone the hitting, but you can bet your ass that i would have had some choice words for the guy telling me to sit down.

you have a T.V. at home if you want to sit down and watch, so use it.

tell me thats not fair to older people if you want, but its also not fair to younger people to have to sit down and be bored at the game.

FOOTBALL=EXCITEMENT=STANDING THE f#*k UP!

exactly... it really should be like church with a good blend of standing and sitting. there is no real reason to stand the entire game, even as mid 30's guy I will sit and stand as the crowd does... but there is NO reason to stand the ENTIRE game. If you want to pay for everyones ticket around you, then you can do what you want, until then... try to be respectful as the older fans BUILT OUR HOUSE!! You dont throw them out because their knees cant hold up for FOUR hours of standing in a mosh pit.

my brother said no one in his section sat down all nite. We've had tix there the last few years and the VT, Mizzery, and the final 10 minutes of the Colorado game everyone stood.

But he said the OU game was the best since the early 90s

I am going the KSUcks game next week and not sitting down all game. if anyone complains, i'll just say Bo said to add some juice and get the crowd up.

no one said you should sit the entire game... but at the same token, theres no reason to stand the ENTIRE time unless you are in the student section. Think about the money people have spent over the years to keep their place in the stands and then some young bucks come in and want to bully everyone by standing... how is that respecting your elders?

GOOD!!!!!!!!! The guy deserved to get punched in the damn mouth! If he wants to sit down on his ass then watch the damn game at home.

Classy.... So some drunkn a-hole buys a ticket for maybe one game a year, and that gives him the right to PUNCH someone. I am so glad that we, as a whole have slid to the point where people would do this, then have a post like this show up on here to justify it.

I have never been told to sit down, I sit in section 28 right in the heart of the "blue hairs" and not a peep... EVER. I'm not saying it doesn't happen I just wonder how often it does. The lady that sits next to me physically CANNOT stand for the entire game, but she claps, and sings all of the cheers, and has a wonderful time. When the rest of us stand and yell her face lights up, because her beloved Huskers are doing good, and I have never heard her tell anyone to sit down. She shows courtesy for people who do stand and cheer, also people show her respect and sit when the Offense is on the field, allowing her to see the plays.

I think people should just act reasonable. That means that if you have a guy who is behind you and cannot see you try your best to stand only when everyone esle is standing or at the moments where most fans can be expected to stand. Turning and hitting or cursing out an older fan (or a younger one for that matter) should be met with an ejection or an arrest. If you stand when you have to and still show as much respect to the people behind you I think that is all that can be asked.

On the flip side, if you are an older person (or a younger one for that matter) you should accept that some people are not going to sit down for 100% of the game and as long as it is reasonable, deal with and accept that you are no longer able to stand the way they do. When everyone stands up and the guy in front of you is forced to stand you simply cannot complain. It all boils down to being reasonable.

I think people should just act reasonable. That means that if you have a guy who is behind you and cannot see you try your best to stand only when everyone esle is standing or at the moments where most fans can be expected to stand. Turning and hitting or cursing out an older fan (or a younger one for that matter) should be met with an ejection or an arrest. If you stand when you have to and still show as much respect to the people behind you I think that is all that can be asked.

On the flip side, if you are an older person (or a younger one for that matter) you should accept that some people are not going to sit down for 100% of the game and as long as it is reasonable, deal with and accept that you are no longer able to stand the way they do. When everyone stands up and the guy in front of you is forced to stand you simply cannot complain. It all boils down to being reasonable.

:yeah Respect the people around you. Young or old. It's not that hard.

I stood almost the entire time the defense was on the field and yelled my ass off and no one in the North end zone said one word. In fact, the people around me were standing and yelling too. One of the best games I've been to (in any sport). Place was rocking.

I have never heard it said. I think it is a buzz word for most of us one way or another and we tend to react to it very quickly.

I apologize if I offended Elby, it was not my intention, just wanted to voice the other side. Some of you have been to my tailgates and know that I am as avid as I was when I was 19. I see others that have not been as fortunate as I have, and try to defend them. No matter the age young or old, if you are at the game you have a love for the Huskers, that is what is important.

When you guys come out for the UCLA game, I will have another huge tailgate for ya like at SC, we blue hairs/bald still know how to party.

You stand, you're probably making noise. You sit, you're probably not making as much. NU games are like a church service. The fans wait for the players to give them a reason to yell. There are, what, six home games a year. There's no reason that place shouldn't be non stop noise while there is actual action, especially when the D is on the field and would benefit directly from it. I wasn't there, so I'll have to guess, but I'm figuring when we were down to ISU by a couple points, there weren't a lot of back and forth "HUSKER" "POWER" or GO BIG RED chants for the boys. I bet most were sitting around stunned and thinking "we aren't going to lose to ISU are we? Somebody better make a play." And, only if someone made that big play would the crowd have made noise. When I lived in NE I went to every game, so I know what that place is like. On a few occasions, some big name team would come in and the place would be electric from the outset. It is too bad that it can't be like that always. Being too old, lazy or self-conscious to scream your lungs out at the game is not a good excuse.

Some day my young lads you will be there, trust me. And you are die hard Husker fans, and you will go to the game for as long as you possibly can. Imagine 40 years from now when you have supported the Huskers every week end, buying season tickest for years and years, sending in money for the program. Your there with your granddaughter and she can not see because some ass, drunk out of his mind yelling curse words because you asked him politely to set so they could see the game.

It will happen, it always does. The seats are there for a reason. You do not stand at a movie when you are excited, you do not stand when you are with your wife or girlfriend in bed and are excited, I would assume. You do not have to be standing to support our Huskers. I stand every single game, but I consider others, some on here need to learn that lesson. As you will all be faced with it someday. Yours is not the only correct way.

Like your mother and father taught you growing up. Respect your elders, or at least that is the way I was raised in Nebraska.

If it was your grandparents behind you would you stand and block their view. Would you tell them to get their old asses out of the seat and go home? Would you use your special words on them. Just curious.

You're slapping your self-righteous brush around pretty wide, like you normally do. I would be surprised if any of us here are talking about standing all game outside the student section or not taking anyone else into consideration. But let me tell you what you can do with that self-righteous brush of yours...

Elby,

I have done as you suggested. I have quit going to the games I love because I am so old that I can't see over the standers.

To everyone involved, if you can't stand for a few minutes during the game, how did you walk up to your seat? If you are in that bad of shape, either go to the handicap section, or stay home. I don't care how long you've been a fan. I know that if I couldn't stand, I surely wouldn't want to have to try to walk all that way to the stadium, walk up the stairs, then wait and stand to get out. That excuse holds no water.

I was at the T. Tech game and a blue-hair behind us told us to sit down AFTER THE OPENING KICKOFF!!! She complained about how bad her back was, how she couldn't stand, how she'd been going to games for 40 years, blah, blah, blah. My friend told her, "I paid for my ticket just like you, and it didn't say that I couldn't stand up from time to time!!" The guys next to him stood for 80% of the game just to make her mad.

I don't condone the punch, but if you can't handle a little standing at a football game, watch it on your couch.

Ok, I guess I have to repeat myself seeing as how it appears some people read the first few posts then just posted their own comment. I said, I don't mean to sound like a jerk and I don't actually think the guy should have got punched. However, it is absolutely, 100% unbelievable that people can't even stand up at the damn game. Great some people don't get told to sit down, but I'm sure if you stood up the entire time the skers were on D, like is whats supposed to happen you'd get a "hey sit down". It's unbelievable!! I'm not saying that you have to stand the entire time the o's on the field, but when that d first steps foot on the field, every possession, the crowd should be yelling at the top of their lungs until they come off the field. If you don't want to stand then fine, don't stand, but don't yell at someone in front of you to sit down, when you could stand up. If you physically can't stand up then don't we have a section down on the field where people can sit? Everyone keeps saying, well the people that want to sit paid for their ticket. Well ya know what, so did the person who wants to stand. Also people keep saying its common courtesy to sit so the person behind you can see the game. Well isn't it also common courtesy to let the person who also paid for their ticket to watch the game how they want to watch it, and how it was meant to be watched? Our crowd has gotten soft as can be and the fact that so many people on here are like, "oh my gosh he should have been sitting, have some thought for the person behind you, why would you stand if he didn't want you to" proves that. Hell, Pelini notices it!! Give me a break.

they know that it makes no sense that only the person sitting can have the game ruined for them. Fact is that I can have the game ruined for me if some old or young guy is bitching about people sitting down.

There is one solution to that problem. You sit down and that old guy does not bitch. Then no one's game is ruined.

Can you yell louder if you stand? Can you enjoy the game more if you stand? I have sat. I have stood. Neither has enhanced or inhibited my enjoyment of the game or the decibel level that I am able to product. If you are at a Husker game and sitting makes you bored then you should really find something else to do.

Here is the deal. If the people in front of you are standing then you stand. If the people in front of you are sitting then you put your butt in your seat. When something big happens you jump up and celebrate just like the rest of the crowd.

If you want to stand just to stand then you can stand in front of your TV. Not unnecessarily blocking the view of people sitting behind you is common courtesy. If someone is asking you to sit down it is probably due to physical limitations. If you insist on being the only one standing in front of someone who has trouble standing then you are a jackass.

On the other hand, if hundreds of people in front of someone are standing then it is rude for them to be bitching about sitting down.

You sit when you can and you stand when you have to. It's a pretty simple rule.