Callahan contract

Just wanted to get some peoples opinion about BC's contract.

Is it too long? Not long enough?

Too much money? Or did we get him at a discount compared to Stoops & Saban at $3M+?

Why do you think he got a 6-year contract?

In my opinion it was 3-fold.

1) To ease the minds of Husker fans who need some reassurance that a) he has confidence in this guy and B) we wont have this game of russian coaching roulette every 2 yrs.

2) Makes it tougher for BC to skip town if a bigger opp comes along

3) Ensures Steve has at least another 6 years as AD. Cal is now "steves guy", and his success will be a direct reflection on SP. This way Cal has 6 whole years to get it right/compete for the nat championship. If people start complaining in 2-3 yrs that Cal just isnt getting it done, SP can point to the 6 yr contract and convince people that we "just need to let everything materialize", b/c remember when we signed him no one had issues with the 6 yr contract b/c we all wanted stability.

So I say if you have a problem with it nows the time to complain. Not in 2 yrs. I havent heard much of an uproar about this now, b/c everyone is caught up in the hype that is BC, and are just punchy b/c this whole fiasco has resulted in a semmingly successful formula.

But should Cal really need 6 to make it happen? Whats wrong with a 3 yr deal, and re-evaluate him then, possibly even lock him into an extended contract at that time for an add'l 6-10 yrs. Are we more convinced that he'll skate? or more convinced that he has the tools to get the job done, and it's a cant-lose?

Lets get some thoughts on this.

BS

Generally, isn't a five year deal kind of the norm now? Seems to me most of the time that's what we hear. So why the extra year?

It could be that Steve didn't have much choice. If I'm a coach looking at the situation, I have to note that a 9 win coach was fired. My only hope of any kind of security - especially if I'm going to make a complete sea change on offense - is that I can get a long-term deal. Makes it that much more painful to fire me while the shift in offenses is occurring. Insofar as a number of candidates had turned the job down, it kind of put BC in the driver's seat to make that kind of demand...and SP had to find someone soon with the signing date coming up, and the kind of redicule that was being endured.

Could be, then, that six years was not SP's idea...he had no choice.

• 3 years later...

I like the move. I think debating whether he got a 5 or a 6yr deal is rather trivial. Both are long term deals in day and age where everyone wants results instantly and is unable to have the patience to wait for excellence. Remember how long it took TO to get his? Besides the fact most coaches are unable to stick around for longer than 5 or 6 years anyway before they become bored and look for a better challenge. Gone are the days of guys like Joe Pa, Bowden and Osborne.

All in all I think SP made a choice to show commitment to a guy who has shown signs of possible greatness but not quite there yet. Everyone should remember if we ditch BC now or in the near future we will have to practicaly start from scratch agian and would be facing another 04' type season (quivering). I hope BC decides to stick the 6 yr deal out. I think we are heading in a great direction, but I have my doubts BC wants to continue coaching in college. Personaly I think Cally goes to the NFL after 3 more years, whether he is contracted for 6 years doesn't matter when NFL teams will just buy it out.

AT this point it is more an issue of when will he get a contract extension. 2 years is all thats left on the current one, and for recruiting you really want to have several years on the contract, a good 4 or there abouts to reassure recruits that the coach that is recruiting them will be there for their playing career.

At first I thought it was too long.

Lets don't forget, BC had only been a HC for 2 seasons with mixed results before arriving here. I thought a 6 yr contract was pretty lofty. 4 yrs sounded more appropiate to me at the time for a relatively inexperienced HC with no collegiate HC experience. Plus we hadn't signed coaches for that long in the past.

Now days after seeing what has transpired so far in the BC era, I no longer feel that strongly. I do however still think the book is still out on this crew. Its not like we have been ranked week in and out the last 3 yrs. Plus you don't hear his name mentioned by the media about being a candidate here or there nor see other schools actually knocking down his door to lure him away to lead their programs to the promise land. When those things happens... you know you have a winner.

Big yr for BC. Extention talk will rise again by the end of season. He needs to have a good season to make it possible me thinks. Otherwise wait another yr before making any decision in that dept.

Get back in that CC game, avoid another 5 loss season, win a bowl and have us ranked and he can sign on that dotted line. If we have another season like last... hard decisions are on the horizon, and some of the shine on the love affair with the admn will dull.

Just being realistic and only my opinion of course.

AT this point it is more an issue of when will he get a contract extension. 2 years is all thats left on the current one, and for recruiting you really want to have several years on the contract, a good 4 or there abouts to reassure recruits that the coach that is recruiting them will be there for their playing career.

Hmmmm...

You can always go and find another coach that can come in and recruit like hell. The reruits won't come is overplayed and not neccessarily true. BC has come in and had success right away in terms of recruiting. That alone tells you this thinking is a old wives tale.

Zombie thread.

What the hell does that mean!!!! Are they coming to eat our brains!!!!! :ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:lol:

"Brains!"

Damn, what Zombie movie was that from? I forget the title, but good movie!!!

As for Steve Pedey, not to worry about Cally's contract. Cuz.. sometimes he's just Houston Nutts.

Generally, isn't a five year deal kind of the norm now? Seems to me most of the time that's what we hear. So why the extra year?

It could be that Steve didn't have much choice. If I'm a coach looking at the situation, I have to note that a 9 win coach was fired. My only hope of any kind of security - especially if I'm going to make a complete sea change on offense - is that I can get a long-term deal. Makes it that much more painful to fire me while the shift in offenses is occurring. Insofar as a number of candidates had turned the job down, it kind of put BC in the driver's seat to make that kind of demand...and SP had to find someone soon with the signing date coming up, and the kind of redicule that was being endured.

Could be, then, that six years was not SP's idea...he had no choice.

I've got to agree with this. I think Pud was probably looking more at a 5 year deal, but his ass was on the line after being turned down by so many others. BC came in and controlled the show. He probably pushed the envelope to get the 6 year deal. I'm not sure who ended up with more egg on their face in the whole coaching search dibacle: NU or Notre Dame. Pud's hands were tied. He had to get some kind of name in here to save face especially in the recruiting arena for the upcoming season.

If BC is offered by an NFL team, yeah they'll buy his contract out here. I'm guessing he gets a contract extension. However, if Pud has any brains at all he'll do it before the season starts. If he waits until after the season and we lose 5 games again this year, his hands will be tied again. On the flip side, if BC has some kind of championship run this year and Pud waits til season's end; then it will cost the university a lot more money. Again, his hands will be tied. If you're going to offer the extension, I see only a lose/lose here procrastinating waiting until after season's end.

Do programs ever just let the contract expire and then hire a new guy? We hear all the time of coaches leaving before their contract expires. We hear about coaches being fired before their contract expires. However, when was the last time a major program simply let the contract expire and not renew it?