Mangino should come here

RedGixxer

Besides the fact that Watson is a better guy to have around than Mangino, what really is the difference in their offenses anyway? Both guys like to run out of a shotgun spread and use quick passes. The only difference is Kansas has had better receivers.

I realize that's generalizing, but really, they seem pretty similar to me.

Sounds like a real peach of a guy...runs off coaches, and trashes his players.

Former Kansas wide receiver Raymond Brown, a senior last season, said Mangino would often "say personal, hurtful, embarrassing things in front of people."

Brown cited two examples. He said that once, his younger brother had been shot in the arm in St. Louis. Then came a game.

"I dropped a pass and [Mangino] was mad," Brown said. "And I said, 'Yes, sir. Yes, sir.' The yelling didn't bother me. But then he said, 'Shut up!' He said, 'If you don't shut up, I'm going to send you back to St. Louis so you can get shot with your homies.' I was irate. I wanted to hurt him to be honest with you."

Brown said another teammate had confided in the team that his father was an alcoholic and the player dreamed of becoming a lawyer.

"One day, [Mangino] said in front of the entire team, 'Are you going to be a lawyer or do you want to become an alcoholic like your Dad?' " Brown said.

"He'd say things like, 'I'll send you back to the street corner where you came from,' " Herford said.

"He'd say, 'This is Kansas, you're not back home,' " Crawford said. "He'd say, 'You're not back with your homies. If you're not careful you'll be watching the game in the stands with your homies. You'll be back in that neighborhood.' "

Meh, I've heard worse. Sometimes it takes personal shots to get people motivated. I dont have issue with any of these comments.

If we held everyone to these standards, half the coaches in college football, all divisions, would be fired. As would about 25% of everyone in a supervisory capacity in most factories. As would every single drill sergeant in the US Armed Forces.

I have yet to hear anything that "crosses the line" about Mangino.

have to disagree knap..

telling someone that he will send them to go get shot right after their brother was shot......that crosses the line.

You should hear what I hear every day at my job. I listen to people's issues at work. This kind of stuff is not unusual.

If we held everyone to these standards, half the coaches in college football, all divisions, would be fired. As would about 25% of everyone in a supervisory capacity in most factories. As would every single drill sergeant in the US Armed Forces.

have to disagree knap..

telling someone that he will send them to go get shot right after their brother was shot......that crosses the line.

:yeah The part about the alcoholic dad is pretty bad too.

Coach Mangino should tell Kansas to stick it where the sun don't shine and come to Nebraska to be the Offensive Coordinator after they get rid of Watson. Wow can you imagine what kind of dynamite offensive team the Huskers would be then? I would say Nebraska would be National Champs in 2 years if that happened, no doubt about it. :horns2:horns2:horns2

The only member of the coaching staff I would even fathom replacing with Mangino is maybe Barney Cotton. Let's stick with Watson. As I've said in a previous post, he is starting with brand new quarterbacks, and the offensive lag is understandable and should be forgivable. The offensive line played much better though last week, so Cotton might have a pass too. The penalties and lack of quarterback protection have annoyed me often throughout the year. We'll see how the K-State game goes before a final verdict.

have to disagree knap..

You should hear what I hear every day at my job. I listen to people's issues at work. This kind of stuff is not unusual.

i agree with b-rent here... and just because you hear it doesnt mean its ethical..

have to disagree knap..

i agree with b-rent here... and just because you hear it doesnt mean its ethical..

I definitely agree with Knap. If Mangino really wanted to physically or mentally abuse his players, he has far greater weapons that other coaches do not. He could could sit on them until they pass out, he could look them in a room with him after he has just eaten spicy food, etc. Mangino could employ far worse torture\motivation techniques so we can let a few harsh words slide. :)

have to disagree knap..

I never said it was "ethical." I said it happens all the time, all over the place.

Nebraska wants a Kansas castoff?

Anyway, he will get a head coaching gig you can count on that.

No way Mangino would come to NU. Or NU would want Mangina.

He will end up at some up and coming (read: aggressive) football school. Like UCF was a few years back when they picked O'Leary off the waiver wires a couple years after the ND thing.

Nebraska wants a Kansas castoff?

Anyway, he will get a head coaching gig you can count on that.

I would be shocked if he gets a head coaching gig, I can see him settling onto Leach, either Stoops or Snyder's staff though as an assistant. Fat man's gonna have to pay his dues and earn his reputation back before anyone touches him.